Potential 2022 Roster / Staff | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2022 Roster / Staff

Even by your count, and with 5 of the as walk-ons, that's still 20 on scholarship for 5 positions - 4 deep rather than 3 deep.

If I were managing the roster, I would rather take the flyer and use those extra 5 scholarships on the lines, because getting a DB on the field doesn't take nearly as much player development time as it does on the lines.

With the four signees we have 15 scholarship defensive backs for 2022. And frankly the corner back and safety positions are two entirely different skill sets they shouldn’t even belong together. Not sure where you get 20 from, and who cares if we have 500 walkons.

who cares if we have 500 walkons.

LOL. Walk-ons matter.

First, walk-ons aren’t usually very far behind the 3-star players that Syracuse tends to sign. These guys all develop differently. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a walk-on pass a scholarship guy on the depth chart (see DT Darton).

Second, walk-ons usually play the role of the scout team during the season. This allows scholarship players to focus on the game plan each week which helps their development.

Teams are allowed;
  • 85 scholarship players
  • 20 walk-ons
  • Maximum roster of 105

We had a few walk-ons suit up and travel to every game this season.

LOL. Walk-ons matter.

First, walk-ons aren’t usually very far behind the 3-star players that Syracuse tends to sign. These guys all develop differently. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a walk-on pass a scholarship guy on the depth chart (see DT Darton).

Second, walk-ons usually play the role of the scout team during the season. This allows scholarship players to focus on the game plan each week which helps their development.

Teams are allowed;
  • 85 scholarship players
  • 20 walk-ons
  • Maximum roster of 105

We had a few walk-ons suit up and travel to every game this season.

They don’t matter at all in terms of IthacaMatt arguing the roster is being mismanaged and that we have too many DBs when he’s including all the walkons. He’s wrong.

Your stance is wrong to. I don’t knock walkons and those who play or earn scholarships are a great story but depending on how many are playing and in what roles we’re probably not very good.

With the four signees we have 15 scholarship defensive backs for 2022. And frankly the corner back and safety positions are two entirely different skill sets they shouldn’t even belong together. Not sure where you get 20 from, and who cares if we have 500 walkons.

I counted 25 people at DB on the 2022 roster that's tagged above, either in this thread or another.

How players do we need to add to fill both the 85 limit and 105 with walk ons at this point?

How players do we need to add to fill both the 85 limit and 105 with walk ons at this point?
Currently there are 61 potential returnees and 10 commitments. 14 Scholarships open.

Somebody should start a thread listing every one of the 61 players who are returning, and the 10 players currently committed for 2022.

Nah. Nobody would ever read it.
Always pays to read your list and tep624 list on the FB recruiting forum.

I think it's tougher to get quality DB's who are good in man coverage.

Look what happened when Cicso and Trill got hurt last year, and Williams missed time this year.
Disagree. Finding guys in the top 1% of height, that ALSO have a frame, and are not slow? By percentages alone, the smallest pool. You can find TONS of guys that are 6 foot even. And then the old adage of "The further you are away from the ball, the easier it is."

Not sure where you get 20 from, and who cares if we have 500 walkons.
Walk ons are just as important as, I dunno, having a Special Teams Coach. Speaking of which. When we had a special teams coach, our WALK ON kicker won the Lou Groza award.

JJ Watt
Antonio Brown
Clay Matthew's
Jordy Nelson
Tj Ward
Logan Mankin
Hunter Renfrew
Stephan Gotskowski
Dennis Pitta

And DOZENS more say Hi.

Last edited:
Besides Carter and Barron, no one should have a guaranteed safety spot. That was a struggling group.

Walk ons are just as important as, I dunno, having a Special Teams Coach. Speaking of which. When we had a special teams coach, our WALK ON kicker won the Lou Groza award.

JJ Watt
Antonio Brown
Clay Matthew's
Jordy Nelson
Tj Ward
Logan Mankin
Hunter Renfrew
Stephan Gotskowski
Dennis Pitta

And DOZENS more say Hi.

The walkon discussion was in regards to roster management and how many players we have at defensive back. Had nothing to do with how valuable they are or how talented they might be. It had to do with scholarship distribution at each position.

The walkon discussion was in regards to roster management and how many players we have at defensive back. Had nothing to do with how valuable they are or how talented they might be. It had to do with scholarship distribution at each position.
Ok. I think we classify all the back 5 as Db's, and sometimes interchange them.(different argument as to how they should be classified)

We have 19? Oline, and are looking to add more. The #'s for db seem similar. I'll take all the walkons willing to do the work.

JJ Watt
Antonio Brown
Clay Matthew's
Jordy Nelson
Tj Ward
Logan Mankin
Hunter Renfrew
Stephan Gotskowski
Dennis Pitta

And DOZENS more say Hi.
I get it, but I mean, banking on walk-ons to become NFL players let alone standouts isn't a program building strategy with a high probability of success.

Your stance is wrong to. I don’t knock walkons and those who play or earn scholarships are a great story but depending on how many are playing and in what roles we’re probably not very good.

Walk-ons do help with roster management. Scout team work is vital to the development of the weekly game plan. If you dismiss the importance of walk-ons, then you're dismissing their weekly contributions to scout teams. If teams had to use scholarship players for the scout team work, any player who is on scout team is not working in the team's system and not developing optimally.

And, our punter at the end of the season... a walk-on from California. He may not have been the best, but without him, who was going to handle the punting? Someone thought enough of him to make him part of the 20, and it paid off.

News flash! We are not very good. But, although we may not be Alabama, even Alabama uses walk-ons on their scout teams.

This is all part of roster management; which position do you need walk-ons at, how many do you need, how many do you have room for, who do you take etc... Roy Wittke is our Director of Player Personnel. Roster management is a big part of what he does for the program. So much goes on behind the scenes that most people do not realize. Coordinating all of the scouting and vetting all of the videos that the team receives. Balancing the the needs of each position group; "I need more running backs", "I need more linebackers", "I need more corners", or "I need more receivers" and so on. In August we added a LB walk-on after camp started. Why? Most likely because someone thought we needed one to help with the scout teams duties. Why a LB and not a guard? Roster management.

Moving on...

I think the cornerback situation is a little dire to. Losing Cole was a nut shot.

I agree. Losing Cole is a big loss.

As part of your roster management calculus ask yourself where was Atkinson in 2021.

On a positive note, it looks like Dom Foster and Cornell Perry may be enrolling early. Both are solid recruits who will have a chance to see how they stack up in spring ball.

Besides Carter and Barron, no one should have a guaranteed safety spot. That was a struggling group.

But you just guaranteed 2 of the 3.

I think it should be a wide open competition.

JJ Watt
Antonio Brown
Clay Matthew's
Jordy Nelson
Tj Ward
Logan Mankin
Hunter Renfrew
Stephan Gotskowski
Dennis Pitta

And DOZENS more say Hi.
Riley Dixon was a walkon as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Great! With Bob Ligashesky Andre will be our KICKER again - he'll be back where he was as a freshman. Good for him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom