Potential 2022 Roster / Staff | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2022 Roster / Staff

Fellas, having more time to coach certain positions doesn't always produce. There's a possibility of regression too. Over coaching can hinder a player's performance too. I'm just saying be careful with assuming more time is always better.

As usual not sure that any of the weights are accurate. Several players have added weight Thompson and Wax. Other seemed to have lost weight. Greer was 265 now 245. M. Jones still 225 after three years. Mang down 10 pounds. Mayer down 20. Rhino up 30 pounds. Huff up 20 pounds. Ellis 388. If these weights were correct you really have to question S&C and nutrition for the players.

As usual not sure that any of the weights are accurate. Several players have added weight Thompson and Wax. Other seemed to have lost weight. Greer was 265 now 245. M. Jones still 225 after three years. Mang down 10 pounds. Mayer down 20. Rhino up 30 pounds. Huff up 20 pounds. Ellis 388. If these weights were correct you really have to question S&C and nutrition for the players.
DL Steve Linton at 217 lbs had better be a mistake.

I must have missed that Calabro had left the program. Not a big deal.

I'd like to use it to track all the comings and goings and commits and decommits.

But since this is the internets, we'll probably end up with 20 different posters starting 20 separate threads anyways.

Congrats to Steve Linton for getting up to 225. Keep working hard, dude!

My take on this development:

This was surely a spring of evaluation for Coach Anae. He found out what he had to work with and any players brought in are being taken to address perceived weaknesses.

Thinking that any open spots on the roster will probably go to players on offense. Tony White has had his system in place a while, and while things might not be perfect, the numbers on defense are good. One possible exception here: if a DT becomes available that they really like, they will take him.

We know the staff is trying to add at least one OL. Pretty sure this was priority 1.

Based on the all the OL we went after, they might have wanted to add 2. At this point, given how few good players are still out thre, it looks likely we are going to add 1. I am personally comfortable with the unit as it, with the exception of the center position. If we can get a solid center and play Vet at RT, I like that unit. Quality depth at OG. With Tisdale and Cruz, I like our depth at OT too.

Thought we were going to add a TE. Thought this would be priority 2. Expected us to add an experienced grad transfer TE to that unit. Maybe I am forgetting something but I don’t remember hearing anything on this front. Either they are doing a great job keeping things quiet or this is not happening.

The only other position I thought we might add a player was at WR. Looking at the unit, it looks to me as though we have a bunch of.possession type WRs with good speed and good hands. Some have good size too. Not a lot of explosive speed. Not a lot of potential for big plays with YAC. Pena might be able to do this. Maybe Courtney a bit. I think Donovan Brown will down the road.

But when I compare our roster to other rosters in the ACC, we don’t have the speed at WR most other programs do. It is so important to have players that can beat man coverage and make defenses pay for not respecting our passing game. When teams spend so little resources defending the passing game, it makes it very hard for us to run the ball effectively. We have to find a way to get WRs on the roster who can get open and make big plays.

I don’t see anyone on our roster who was a track AA. No one on it now had the 5th fastest time in the country in the 100 HH.

I imagine there was a meeting towards the end of spring ball with the offensive coaches. What are we lacking to be successful? What pieces do we need to add? Center was surely already a given. Gotta believe WR was brought up. I believe there was a discussion….anyone know someone who might help? Any game breakers out there we have an in with?

And Coach Johnson brought up Adams.

It is disturbing that Adams has spent 3 full seasons on college rosters and done almost nothing. I don’t think he has had any serious injuries. As best I can tell, he was not even on the two deep last year with. FAU.

I know some of you will sneer at this and say if he can’t get on the field at FAU, how can he play at SU? But FAU is in the heart of the most fertile area in the country for skilled players. And it is attractive for transfers because of the location. I know one of their starters last year at. WR was a transfer from Clemson.

He was recruited to FSU by Willie Taggert. He had offers from Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue, UNC and Penn State. He was a big time recruit and a US Army HS AA.

When Taggert went to FAU, he followed him there. That tells me Willie valued him and thought he had talent. And then there is the Michael Johnson factor. I don’t think there is any way we would have offered D’Marcus if Coach Johnson, who was his OC last season at FAU, didn’t think highly of him.

It will be interesting to see how this move works out. D’Marcus has 2 years of eligibility left. Will he make an immediate impact? Could be a really good early indication of how well Coach Johnson evaluates talent.

My take on this development:

This was surely a spring of evaluation for Coach Anae. He found out what he had to work with and any players brought in are being taken to address perceived weaknesses.

Thinking that any open spots on the roster will probably go to players on offense. Tony White has had his system in place a while, and while things might not be perfect, the numbers on defense are good. One possible exception here: if a DT becomes available that they really like, they will take him.

We know the staff is trying to add at least one OL. Pretty sure this was priority 1.

Based on the all the OL we went after, they might have wanted to add 2. At this point, given how few good players are still out thre, it looks likely we are going to add 1. I am personally comfortable with the unit as it, with the exception of the center position. If we can get a solid center and play Vet at RT, I like that unit. Quality depth at OG. With Tisdale and Cruz, I like our depth at OT too.

Thought we were going to add a TE. Thought this would be priority 2. Expected us to add an experienced grad transfer TE to that unit. Maybe I am forgetting something but I don’t remember hearing anything on this front. Either they are doing a great job keeping things quiet or this is not happening.

The only other position I thought we might add a player was at WR. Looking at the unit, it looks to me as though we have a bunch of.possession type WRs with good speed and good hands. Some have good size too. Not a lot of explosive speed. Not a lot of potential for big plays with YAC. Pena might be able to do this. Maybe Courtney a bit. I think Donovan Brown will down the road.

But when I compare our roster to other rosters in the ACC, we don’t have the speed at WR most other programs do. It is so important to have players that can beat man coverage and make defenses pay for not respecting our passing game. When teams spend so little resources defending the passing game, it makes it very hard for us to run the ball effectively. We have to find a way to get WRs on the roster who can get open and make big plays.

I don’t see anyone on our roster who was a track AA. No one on it now had the 5th fastest time in the country in the 100 HH.

I imagine there was a meeting towards the end of spring ball with the offensive coaches. What are we lacking to be successful? What pieces do we need to add? Center was surely already a given. Gotta believe WR was brought up. I believe there was a discussion….anyone know someone who might help? Any game breakers out there we have an in with?

And Coach Johnson brought up Adams.

It is disturbing that Adams has spent 3 full seasons on college rosters and done almost nothing. I don’t think he has had any serious injuries. As best I can tell, he was not even on the two deep last year with. FAU.

I know some of you will sneer at this and say if he can’t get on the field at FAU, how can he play at SU? But FAU is in the heart of the most fertile area in the country for skilled players. And it is attractive for transfers because of the location. I know one of their starters last year at. WR was a transfer from Clemson.

He was recruited to FSU by Willie Taggert. He had offers from Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue, UNC and Penn State. He was a big time recruit and a US Army HS AA.

When Taggert went to FAU, he followed him there. That tells me Willie valued him and thought he had talent. And then there is the Michael Johnson factor. I don’t think there is any way we would have offered D’Marcus if Coach Johnson, who was his OC last season at FAU, didn’t think highly of him.

It will be interesting to see how this move works out. D’Marcus has 2 years of eligibility left. Will he make an immediate impact? Could be a really good early indication of how well Coach Johnson evaluates talent.
Great post.
I’ll admit when I first saw the news it was a bit of a head scratcher.
Looking at his past play he seems like a strong return man. His ability at wr seems to be the question mark.
He does have the ability to make the D respect the deep ball. However that will require the qb can get him the ball and he can make the catch. If so this will be a great pick up. If not, one of the limited remaining scholarships was used for a returner.
Hoping it’s a Amba situation and being at SU changes everything. Unfortunately a change at FAU did not produce those results.
Trusting the staff and hoping his play shocks everyone.

We have gotten some nice pieces from the portal since the 2021 season ended but I can say i'm not very thrilled with what we have done regarding the positions that were really more of a critical need. We did pick up players that can help but most are at positions we were more solid at.

Positions of more critical need were DL, C or OT, WR, Possibly TE.
DL - Got diddly squat after losing Roscoe, Kingsley, Black, McKinley and Harper. Not good. Very thin on experience and strength. And sure someone could still be added later, but right now we have been unable to get anybody. Doesn't look good. This DL situation has been an issue for a really long time now. We were saved quite a bit in 2021 because of the extra COVID year, otherwise last year would have been a disaster on the DL.

C/OT - Got nada. Adding one of these pieces would have made things much more manageable. Really need to hope everyone at least starts the season healthy.

WR - Got CJ Hayes who had limited experience and seems more likely to be depth thus far. Got D'Marcus Adams who could help as a deep threat that we really need but has little experience as well. Also unsure Shrader can hit on a deep ball with any kind of consistency. Wish we could have brought in somebody at WR with some sort of proven production. I can understand a WR being kind of difficult to bring in as we don't have a proven passer but I thought the promise of the new scheme with great coordinators would have been enough of a selling point to bring in a starter here considering we don't have much proven at the WR position right now.

TE - Got nothing here other than if Villari happens to work at TE some which I don't think is completely out of the question. But less likely now that Lamson is injured though. I think Mang will surprise some and Mahar could as well but really that is all we have. Depth is an issue.

Other positions where additions are not as dire a need

RB: Added Price at RB which is very nice as he seems talented and will help with the depth there this year and be in mix for a starter role in 2023. I guess RB was more of a need with Huff seemingly being too big for RB but we didn't need a starter win 2022 with Tucker obviously.

DB: Alijah Clark should be a great pick-up and should get in the rotation this year and could even start at a nickel spot or safety. Bralyn Oliver seems to have good potential, similar situation to Clark above. Isaiah Johnson should add to the depth at CB this year and has a shot to be a future starter. Probably needs some time at the P5 level before he is fully ready. Great pick-ups.

QB: Didn't NEED a starter perse but adding another piece too compete for the job is definitely a good thing, especially considering Lamson appears to be lost for the year already. Very similar skillset to Shrader. Great athletic ability which is wonderful. Getting a more accomplished passing skillset would have been nice but I think he is as about as good of a pick-up we could hope for given the situation we have going into 2022 with the starting QB returning.

LB: Depth piece and future starter would have been nice but not necessary.

Last edited:
We have gotten some nice pieces from the portal since the 2021 season ended but I can say i'm not very thrilled with what we have done regarding the positions that were really more of a critical need. We did pick up players that can help but most are at positions we were more solid at.

Positions of more critical need were DL, C or OT, WR, Possibly TE.
DL - Got diddly squat after losing Roscoe, Kingsley, Black, McKinley and Harper. Not good. Very thin on experience and strength. And sure someone could still be added later, but right now we have been unable to get anybody. Doesn't look good. This DL situation has been an issue for a really long time now. We were saved quite a bit in 2021 because of the extra COVID year, otherwise last year would have been a disaster on the DL.

C/OT - Got nada. Adding one of these pieces would have made things much more manageable. Really need to hope everyone at least starts the season healthy.

WR - Got CJ Hayes who had limited experience and seems more likely to be depth thus far. Got D'Marcus Adams who could help as a deep threat that we really need but has little experience as well. Also unsure Shrader can hit on a deep ball with any kind of consistency. Wish we could have brought in somebody at WR with some sort of proven production. I can understand a WR being kind of difficult to bring in as we don't have a proven passer but I thought the promise of the new scheme with great coordinators would have been enough of a selling point to bring in a starter here considering we don't have much proven at the WR position right now.

TE - Got nothing here other than if Villari happens to work at TE some which I don't think is completely out of the question. But less likely now that Lamson is injured though. I think Mang will surprise some and Mahar could as well but really that is all we have. Depth is an issue.

Other positions where additions are not as dire a need

RB: Added Price at RB which is very nice as he seems talented and will help with the depth there this year and be in mix for a starter role in 2023. I guess RB was more of a need with Huff seemingly being too big for RB but we didn't need a starter win 2022 with Tucker obviously.

DB: Alijah Clark should be a great pick-up and should get in the rotation this year and could even start at a nickel spot or safety. Bralyn Oliver seems to have good potential, similar situation to Clark above. Isaiah Johnson should add to the depth at CB this year and has a shot to be a future starter. Probably needs some time at the P5 level before he is fully ready. Great pick-ups.

QB: Didn't NEED a starter perse but adding another piece too compete for the job is definitely a good thing, especially considering Lamson appears to be lost for the year already. Very similar skillset to Shrader. Great athletic ability which is wonderful. Getting a more accomplished passing skillset would have been nice but I think he is as about as good of a pick-up we could hope for given the situation we have going into 2022 with the starting QB returning.

LB: Depth piece and future starter would have been nice but not necessary.
Its May. This post should be made in August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom