Potential JB successors | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Its based on over 40 years of running a significant corporation. When you have over 50 years of success achieved by Danforth and JB. 50 years of relationships. 50 years of students, coaches, administrators, HS relationships, donors, and 50 plus years of players that love the program you transition the CEO position to an insider. The only time any successful organization should even consider burning down and 50 years of unprecedented success is if the organization is being acquired or merged.
Going outside is extremely dangerous. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that another coach from outside the organization will have success. Zero, none. The fact is that at a bare minimum by going outside 50 years of foundation will be seriously altered. With a strong chance destroyed.
I have followed this plan for over 40 years and had excellent success.
SU should 100% stay in house. The only decision is between the 3 candidates.
Using your replacing the CEO of a significant corporation analogy, let's say that your corporation has direct and highly successful competitors of varying sizes all competing for the same customers and resources. Now, let's say that your corporation was in a sustained year-over-year decline in profits and productivity for the past 32 quarters (8 years), while some of your competitors showed sustained growth AND innovation over the same period. Same business, similar customers, significantly dissimilar results over a sustained period. Compared to some of those competitors, your company has significantly more resources and they are still kicking your a**. Let's say that 2 of the experienced CEOs from those competing, successful, innovative companies are interested in your CEO position because of the growth potential. And both of those CEOs have a history of taking floundering companies in the same business and turning them into "winners." You have your pick of those 2 CEOs or an internal candidate with absolutely zero experience as a CEO. Further, your existing CEO never allowed the internal candidates to play a meaningful part in the decision making of running the company.

Given that scenario, would always go with the internal candidate?

Not questioning his toughness. Nor am I saying he has no BBall IQ. I just don't think it was high. I don't remember him getting steals or assists because of his IQ, or making others around him better. Rautins IMO showed a higher IQ.

OK. He basically played out of position since we kept on screwing up the PG thing and had a zillion more minutes in Orange than Andy who was there to shoot jumpers but ok.

My question for our Gerry fan, what defense will Gerry employ? the answer...he doesn't know. There is no way of knowing. Also, if Gerry is that good, why hasn't another school gobbled him up and made him their head coach?

The answer is readily obvious. And informs why he shouldn't be a legitimate candidate for our soon-to-be vacant head coaching position.

Those 1st three points are highly debatable.

When GMac played it wasn't like he was Rautins out there. Did anyone think GMac had a great BBall IQ when he played? Has our current team played with a higher IQ due to his coaching? Was he a great leader when he played?

Do they love playing for him? It isn't like we are a hard working, scrappy team out there. And why can't he recruit better if he is so loved?

Every HC is competitive.

Point 4 is not debatable. But being a good player doesn't mean good HC.
I thought GMac was a smart player who played very hard. Seemed like a good leader, from the outside.

I would say Autry was also a smart player who played very hard and seemed like a good leader from the outside.

Same with Allen Griffin.

Using your replacing the CEO of a significant corporation analogy, let's say that your corporation has direct and highly successful competitors of varying sizes all competing for the same customers and resources. Now, let's say that your corporation was in a sustained year-over-year decline in profits and productivity for the past 32 quarters (8 years), while some of your competitors showed sustained growth AND innovation over the same period. Same business, similar customers, significantly dissimilar results over a sustained period. Compared to some of those competitors, your company has significantly more resources and they are still kicking your a**. Let's say that 2 of the experienced CEOs from those competing, successful, innovative companies are interested in your CEO position because of the growth potential. And both of those CEOs have a history of taking floundering companies in the same business and turning them into "winners." You have your pick of those 2 CEOs or an internal candidate with absolutely zero experience as a CEO. Further, your existing CEO never allowed the internal candidates to play a meaningful part in the decision making of running the company.

Let me just add that internal candidates are known commodities for succession plans. The higher ups know their strengths and weaknesses. If they are judged to have a high ceiling, they will be groomed for the next position. Work to correct their weaknesses so they will be prepared if a seat opens up.

But there are plenty of people that have elevated to their highest level and the higher ups don’t see the person as having what it takes to be successful at the next level.

If you see Red or GMac get the job it’s because JW and the powers that be have already determined they possess the skills or have the ability to quickly learn the head coach position and be successful. If they get passed over it means they never had the attributes required to be a successful head coach. Internal candidates are almost always at a disadvantage in a declining situation because it’s hard to point to things they’ve done to make the program successful.

I’d love to have a conversation with Wildhack and ask him what he’s looking for in the next head coach. If he goes outside the family, how big would he go or would he just settle for someone local like Colgate’s coach. He would be an interesting candidate. I like how his team plays with confidence and poise on offense.

These are good points. It would depend on my confidence in the existing on staff talent and on the cause of the decline.
In this case i believe the decline has been caused by the head coach not the program ( huge support) not the assistants. ( no freedom) so i would stay in house as the problem is the head coach.

SU has 50 plus years of winning. Now and ive posted this if JB craps the bed again next year JW might just go outside. Next season is huge for Jim if he wants to keep it in the family.
The constant use of the zone needs to be stopped. It's like the Dodo bird, it's extinct.
Need to go back to the way we played in the 1980's and early 90's. Aggressive man to man, with some press. Then occasionally throw in some zone.

What I don't understand is why some people are taking things personally in this thread. Everyone here wants Syracuse to be successful. How about this, ADJW openly interviews both internal and external candidates and whomever gets the job based on how they presented and sold themselves will get the job. My preference would be drawing an external candidates who actually have head coaching experience and success but hey if Red can sell ADJW on his vision, future staff and recruiting top talent then great.

What I don't understand is why some people are taking things personally in this thread. Everyone here wants Syracuse to be successful. How about this, ADJW openly interviews both internal and external candidates and whomever gets the job based on how they presented and sold themselves will get the job. My preference would be drawing an external candidates who actually have head coaching experience and success but hey if Red can sell ADJW on his vision, future staff and recruiting top talent then great.
Way too logical a take. You’re either supposed to say Gerry/Red are getting the job or explain why Greg Popovich is the ideal candidate for the job as he’s been waiting for JB to retire to coach college.

My question for our Gerry fan, what defense will Gerry employ? the answer...he doesn't know. There is no way of knowing. Also, if Gerry is that good, why hasn't another school gobbled him up and made him their head coach?
Hare,hate,hate,hate.
I want continuity so I would be just as happy with Adrian. At least he wouldn’t be attacked as much as Gerry is here.
And yes....I am a Gerry fan and proud of it.

Hare,hate,hate,hate.
I want continuity so I would be just as happy with Adrian. At least he wouldn’t be attacked as much as Gerry is here.
And yes...I am a Gerry fan and proud of it.
Very few of us hate GMAC. We're just able to take our orange-colored glasses off long enough to separate our thoughts about him as a player versus his results as an assistant coach and recruiter.

We're coming off a 16-17 and you're talking about wanting continuity. :confused:

Hare,hate,hate,hate.
And yes...I am a Gerry fan and proud of it.
I'm a Gerry fan. I love the kid. I just don't want him as our next coach. That isn't hate my friend. I don't want Red either. Or Hop. Two guys I also love. I want a coach that is going to press and play man as well as zone. I want a recruiting wizard. You need to learn what hate is. What other D-1 schools would hire Gerry? Do they all hate him ? He didn't get a interview for Albany last year and he wanted one.

These are good points. It would depend on my confidence in the existing on staff talent and on the cause of the decline.
In this case i believe the decline has been caused by the head coach not the program ( huge support) not the assistants. ( no freedom) so i would stay in house as the problem is the head coach.
Gotcha. Not so sure I agree - going internal seems like an unnecessary and potentially disastrous risk when you can look nationally for experience and a track record of success to lessen the potential risk. But thanks for the reply.

I'm a Gerry fan. I love the kid. I just don't want him as our next coach. That isn't hate my friend. I don't want Red either. Or Hop. Two guys I also love. I want a coach that is going to press and play man as well as zone. I want a recruiting wizard. You need to learn what hate is. What other D-1 schools would hire Gerry? Do they all hate him ? He didn't get a interview for Albany last year and he wanted one.
Well ,first of all, this “ kid” is pushing 40 years old. Do you even know who I’m talking about?

Well ,first of all, this “ kid” is pushing 40 years old. Do you even know who I’m talking about?
40 is a kid to me. Sadly, so is 50 You seem to be having a difficult time with having a respectful conversation. People can disagree with you. Gerry has never won one game as a coach. He has not been a raving success as a recruiter. No other school is lining up to hire him. It's legit to question whether we should even consider him. Let alone hire him.

Last edited:
I still think they should go outside and make John Wooden an offer he can’t refuse. The good news is he probably can’t refuse any offer they make him, so they should be able to get him on a really reasonable deal.

Sorry! I have an opinion, but it’s not worth much.

Here’s the deal: if GMac or Red really want the HC job, they should go out and land two top flight studs via the portal to get us back to the tournament next. Winner is the guy that can land the most dominant player(s). If they can’t do that and we’re sitting here a year from now watching 68 other teams play in the tournament then you need to blow it all up and start fresh. They have one year. They better not wait because the clock is ticking.

40 is a kid to me. Sadly, so is 50 You seem to be having a difficult time with having a respectful conversation. People can disagree with you. Gerry has never won one game as a coach. He has not been a raving success as a recruiter. No other school is lining up to hire him. It's legit to question whether we should even consider him. Let alone hire him.
But JB loves him

But JB loves him
Is JB the AD? I’m sure he will have a say but I find it hard to believe that JW won’t at least look outside the program. I think an internal candidate might make sense when the program is in a good place but we are not. I think cleaning house makes the most sense because whether people want to believe it or not, the assistants are responsible for this dumpster fire too

Status
Not open for further replies.