Potential JB successors | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think its already been decided that Red is the next coach
I don’t know enough to pre-conceive if he will be a good coach or not, but I would love for us to step outside the SU tree.

I think this pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. It's not exactly rare for schools with a history like ours to promote from within. Detractors can obviously say this program isn't what it once was and therefore we shouldn't make a legacy/continuity type of hire. I get that and I tend to agree; I would love to hire a good, proven coach from outside.

My guess (no inside info outside of what some of you have told us) would be that we will end up going with a legacy hire, be it Hop, Red, Gerry, etc.

I'm kinda content with it; I think there's at least a chance that even if we don't overhaul our offense/defensive systems, simply having new blood leading the program could get us back on track. I'd still prefer to go outside the program but I just don't view it as being likely. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

If we had a good candidate for an internal / legacy hire, I think this would be an easy decision... We do it.

As it is, the most qualified would be Hop and it's arguable, based on performance at WA, that he'd be the right hire...

Red or Gerry?? Assistants with their only experience being part and parcel to our descent into irrelevence?? If either are hired, it would be based on benefit of the doubt only and the leash would have to be short.

This isn't like the lax situation where we have a legacy legend with HC experience in waiting.

I have little doubt, after this season, that JAB believes that hand picking his successor is his decision.

It really comes down to JW and where the big donors fall I think. Whether they're willing to go along with that or they decide to wield power over how this decision will be made.

This will be an interesting next part of the chapter.

If I had to guess, we go legacy because it's easy with least feathers ruffled and that we start over in 2-3 years if the trend is same or worse.

If we had a good candidate for an internal / legacy hire, I think this would be an easy decision... We do it.

As it is, the most qualified would be Hop and it's arguable, based on performance at WA, that he'd be the right hire...

Red or Gerry?? Assistants with only experience being part and parcel to our descent into irrelevence?? If either are hired, it would be based on benefit of the doubt only and the leash would have to be short.

This isn't like the lax situation where we have a legacy legend in waiting.

I have little doubt, after this season, that JAB believes that hand picking his successor is his decision.

It really comes down to JW and where the big donors fall I think. Whether they're willing to go along with that or they decide to wield power over how this decision will be made.

This will be an interesting next part of the chapter.

If I had to guess, we go legacy because it's easy with least feathers ruffled and that we start over in 2-3 years if the trend is same or worse.
If we go legacy I’d rather have JB announce his retirement well in advance of the season starting (September timeframe). Worst thing he can do is announce it after the season is over and they pick Red or GMac in April. You’ll lose an entire recruiting cycle.

If we go legacy I’d rather have JB announce his retirement well in advance of the season starting (September timeframe). Worst thing he can do is announce it after the season is over and they pick Red or GMac in April. You’ll lose an entire recruiting cycle.

Yeah, plus if he doesn't get his way, I could see JB throwing that sort monkey wrench in the process... Upturning the set table so to speak, like you imply.

It would be vindictive and petty, but, well within his reactionary wheelhouse if he's pissed off.

Hopefully diplomacy would prevail in any such situation, as I'm sure he doesn't want to go out in a tantrum... Perception and legacy, etc.

It would be vindictive and petty, but, well within his reactionary wheelhouse if he's pissed off.

That’s easy for you to say.

SU Hoops is JB’s life work. We should expect him to want to heavily influence who will take the next step with his life work. And considering all that he has given SU both in terms of effort and results, SU should probably be working to make sure he is on board with the direction that is being taken.

Just can’t help myself.

That’s easy for you to say.

SU Hoops is JB’s life work. We should expect him to want to heavily influence who will take the next step with his life work. And considering all that he has given SU both in terms of effort and results, SU should probably be working to make sure he is on board with the direction that is being taken.

Just can’t help myself.
But on the flip side, if he throws a tantrum and sabotages Syracuse, then it was never about Syracuse and it was all about JB.

If he wants to throw away his legacy amongst a significant portion of the fanbase, that's the way to go. I really don't think he'd do that.

Yeah, plus if he doesn't get his way, I could see JB throwing that sort monkey wrench in the process... Upturning the set table so to speak, like you imply.

Hopefully diplomacy would prevail in any such situation, as I'm sure he doesn't want to go out in a tantrum... Perception and legacy, etc.
I’m comfortable with saying JB is a bit of an immature individual. He’s been allowed to go relatively unchecked for far too long. Man has an ego the size of Jupiter. I’m generally tired of his immature behavior.

I’m comfortable with saying JB is a bit of an immature individual. He’s been allowed to go relatively unchecked for far too long. Man has an ego the size of Jupiter. I’m generally tired of his immature behavior.
Agree about his ego, but he's also seems to be quite an insecure person at the same time. Very interesting personality.

A good friend of mine, behind the scenes, says that Larry Larrañaga, Miami Hurricanes head basketball coach will be our new head coach for the Syracuse mens basketball team in the 2022-2023 season.
Larrys been winning and closed out 2022 with a 22-9, 14-6 record.
“Fact is, he's a much younger coach and the visual transition will be easy for the fans to adjust to.” said an unreliable source who wished to remain anonymous.

View attachment 215795

Who the heck is Larry Larranaga????

I know who Jim Larranaga is…..

Who the heck is Larry Larranaga????

I know who Jim Larranaga is…..

Jim’s younger cousin. He’s been serving as Miami’s assistant equipment manager under Jim.

Actually Larry is the former New Mexico State Representative, who unfortunately is about as available as John Wooden is.

Sorry, I’ll try to quit while we’re ahead.

Last edited:
Larranega's son actually came somewhat close to replacing Brad Stevens for the Celtics.

I'd hire him.

My 1 outsider would be
TJ from Iowa State
Two of the familiar refrains from the "Boeheim IS SU Basketball" crowd are:

- It's hard to recruit at Syracuse because of the weather, etc.

- The program will suffer indefinitely after JB leaves

How did Otzelberger inherit a 2-22 team and take them to the S16 in his first season? Did players flock to Ames because of the weather? The storied history of Iowa State basketball?

Ostensibly, the same reasons why the AD might believe Red or Gerry are 'qualified' to be the next head coach would be the same as those when Hopkins was designated HCiW. The same as for Scheyer at Duke. Boeheim himself. The same for any assistant promoted in any program in any sport throughout history. The same for anyone in any job in any industry who gets a promotion. The person has demonstrated "acumen" and intelligence and passion and competency at important skills. That's not "proof" they'll succeed in the next chair, but neither is success at a small program, leading to being labeled 'the next big thing.' It's probably more comfortable to believe that HC success on any level is proof, but that's as context-driven as failure. And, with bringing in an outsider, you're relying on a resumé, not a relationship and personal experience.

That all said, i'm not campaigning for the internals. Actually, having seen a few hours of teams in this tournament, i'm more fully on the side of wanting completely new blood and a complete overhaul. It's not that Red or GMac can't correct the course, but i fear they're both too ensconced in an ethos that is old hat, and i can't trust that they'd be inclined, inspired, or capable of breaking out of the JAB mold.
I think Hop’s recruiting was the big key, plus Olympic experience.

Question: is Trey Autry a difference maker as a recruit to sway a coaching choice?
No one coach, no particular recruiting class is worth influencing a coaching hire. Long term, big picture vs short term, limited view.

That would be new to Red
Other than CTO im sure nobody on this board will know meaning if Red has been told or when anyone is told we wont know until its released.

My 1 outsider would be
TJ from Iowa State
Holy cow. He took a 2-22 team to the sweet 16. 100%. That has to be a top 20 turnaround in the history of sports.

Two of the familiar refrains from the "Boeheim IS SU Basketball" crowd are:

- It's hard to recruit at Syracuse because of the weather, etc.

- The program will suffer indefinitely after JB leaves

How did Otzelberger inherit a 2-22 team and take them to the S16 in his first season? Did players flock to Ames because of the weather? The storied history of Iowa State basketball?

I read a post on the Boneyard that applies to us. As down as they were, they had a state behind them, a huge fan base, media attention, history and an alumni base that could set them up for life.

We have all of that along with the biggest stadium, not arena, in college basketball. We need to shore up NIL, but with our media connections, we can make stars out of our players

What about painter from purdue? Guy has been consistent. I know he is from indiana but he is at a school that is at best second and likely third in its own state (behind indiana and nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.