Potential JB successors | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be really interested to what Marquette looks like next season. What kind of recruiter is he? He is someone I would be interested. That style of play would be exciting
Not being able to score?

That’s easy for you to say.

SU Hoops is JB’s life work. We should expect him to want to heavily influence who will take the next step with his life work.
this is not a mom and pop restaurant that he’s handing off… he’s a head coach and he doesn’t own SU the way some people own a small business.

I only saw their first game but it was masterful. Switching up defenses, pressing in unexpected spots, curling offense... Made Cal look silly. Would welcome him on our bench!
that would never work here though because he cant recruit the type of athlete to SU to implement the system he uses at St. Petes.

this is not a mom and pop restaurant that he’s handing off… he’s a head coach and he doesn’t own SU the way some people own a small business.
True, but do you think that the AD would consider his opinion?

If SU is not willing to pay up for the next HC, it shows they are not committed to keeping Syracuse basketball at an elite level.
Don't jump to conclusions. I think we will be very competitive with what we offer the next guy as long as he is outside the program. Obviously, if we hired Red or Gerry, we could pay them less. Hop, or anyone else, would cost more.

Sure. I would hope not because I want an outside choice.

Ditto -- this is the option that makes the most sense, given the state of our program.

We can't afford a two-year period of continued decline, just to throw JB a bone. That option went away when he decided to hang on for five additional years, with performance on a consistent trend of slumping performance.

Sure. I would hope not because I want an outside choice.
Seems like you are assuming JB would recommend one of his assistants. What if JB recommended someone not on the current coaching staff or suggests more than one name?

We can’t entice recruits with NIL deals.
I think you know what he means. We’re not doing nearly enough to pitch NIL potential to recruits. Schools can’t facilitate the deals but there’s a lot more they can be doing to show the path to NIL deals, both local and national, for recruits and transfers.

Seems like you are assuming JB would recommend one of his assistants. What if JB recommended someone not on the current coaching staff or suggests more than one name?
If that were the case, ( short of my friend Mark Few wants the job) it’s really an indictment of his work having those guys as assistants in the first place. Part of his job is to groom successors.

If that were the case, ( short of my friend Mark Few wants the job) it’s really an indictment of his work having those guys as assistants in the first place. Part of his job is to groom successors.
So all the other schools who didn't promote from within must have had assistants who were not properly groomed?

I can't imagine that happening. In a way, it would be a repudiation of everything he believes in. he is going to say bring in a man to man coach? He is going to say, no reason to keep my ass'ts? Because someone from the outside would want their own ass'ts. I just can't see it.

More likely, JB wasn't focused on six session playing, and was more inclined to have assistant coaches that fit his preferred interactive dynamic. And these were former point guards, who understand his system backwards and forwards, and were deferential to him.

And here we are.

Ditto -- this is the option that makes the most sense, given the state of our program.

We can't afford a two-year period of continued decline, just to throw JB a bone. That option went away when he decided to hang on for five additional years, with performance on a consistent trend of slumping performance.
Someday the story of what happened when Mike left will be made clear. At the time it happened, it was told at least partially on this board by those who know what transpired. I'm not going to get into it except to say that it wasn't a case of JB simply deciding to "hang on".

I think you know what he means. We’re not doing nearly enough to pitch NIL potential to recruits. Schools can’t facilitate the deals but there’s a lot more they can be doing to show the path to NIL deals, both local and national, for recruits and transfers.

We do that in spades.

JB has stated publically what he thinks should happen and has specifically referred to what Duke and UNC did as examples.

Willard is getting $24.9M for 7 years from Maryland per NY Post. That's $3.55M per year. You think SU is paying that kind of money for its next coach? It's well more than JB is at.
Do you think keeping the dome packed all year is worth an extra mill a year? I do and imagine they do too.

So all the other schools who didn't promote from within must have had assistants who were not properly groomed?
The OP was “what if JB doesn’t recommend one of the assistants?” If he doesn’t, it means he hasn’t picked the right people.
Now, if the owners want to move on from the current CEO and his protégés, that is a different issue.
That’s the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.