Potential JB successors | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree Donovan would be an extremely tough get. Very unlikely. No idea what his situation is or if he might be interested in returning to college coaching for the right situation. Probably not.

I threw his name out not because I think he are going to hire him specifically but as an example of the type of coach I think John is going to go after.

I think John is going to go after the best possible candidates. Shoot for the moon. Will he get choice A or choice B? Probably not.

But I do not think he is going to consider candidates with no head coaching experience. I do not think he is going to hire some obscure HC from the Midwest or the MAC. I think he is going to bring in someone with demonstrated success coaching college basketball at the highest level. That person is likely going to have a background recruiting in the NYC/Philly/DC metro areas.

I think John understands what is needed to turn the program around and has access to a lot of people who really understand college basketball and who the best fits might be.

Now we all know we are talking about Syracuse. This school has never spent money like a drunken sailor, never gone after top of the line coaches and changing 100 years plus of history is going to be a tough ask.

But John thinks big. I think when the time comes and the SU men's basketball position is open, he is going to make a statement hire. I have never predicted Syracuse to do something like this but given what he has done to rebuild the football coaching staff and the success he has had getting funds to renovate the dome, I think he is going big on this.

Maybe he goes to the board and gets turned down. Maybe the SU hoops HC position is not as great a coaching job as some of us think it is. When all is said and done, I think he gets the money to get the job done.

Let's see what happens.

Agree 100%.

Great post -- it should be required reading for the "continuity hire" advocates.

Agree Donovan would be an extremely tough get. Very unlikely. No idea what his situation is or if he might be interested in returning to college coaching for the right situation. Probably not.

I threw his name out not because I think he are going to hire him specifically but as an example of the type of coach I think John is going to go after.

I think John is going to go after the best possible candidates. Shoot for the moon. Will he get choice A or choice B? Probably not.

But I do not think he is going to consider candidates with no head coaching experience. I do not think he is going to hire some obscure HC from the Midwest or the MAC. I think he is going to bring in someone with demonstrated success coaching college basketball at the highest level. That person is likely going to have a background recruiting in the NYC/Philly/DC metro areas.

I think John understands what is needed to turn the program around and has access to a lot of people who really understand college basketball and who the best fits might be.

Now we all know we are talking about Syracuse. This school has never spent money like a drunken sailor, never gone after top of the line coaches and changing 100 years plus of history is going to be a tough ask.

But John thinks big. I think when the time comes and the SU men's basketball position is open, he is going to make a statement hire. I have never predicted Syracuse to do something like this but given what he has done to rebuild the football coaching staff and the success he has had getting funds to renovate the dome, I think he is going big on this.

Maybe he goes to the board and gets turned down. Maybe the SU hoops HC position is not as great a coaching job as some of us think it is. When all is said and done, I think he gets the money to get the job done.

Let's see what happens.
I think someone like Thad Matta, provided his health is ok, would be a big name hire who has had success at the highest levels.

It's hard to overlook how impressive 2 consecutive national college basketball championships is, in any remotely modern context.

Ages and a little more background:

John Beilein Grew up in Lockport. Wheeling (WV) grad. 69
Brad Underwood Grew up in Kansas. Kansas State grad (Hartman). 58
Fran McCaffrey Philly guy, went to UPenn. 62
Dana Altman Grew up in Kansas. Eastern NM grad. 63
Shaka Smart Wisconsin native. Kenyon College grad. 44
Anthony Grant Grew up in Miami Dayton grad. 55
Ed Cooley Grew up in Providence. Stonehill grad. 52
Kevin Willard Born on LI but grew up in Kentucky (HS). 46
Greg McDermott Grew up in Iowa. Northern Iowa grad. 57
Mike Boynton Born & grew up in Brooklyn. South Carolina grad. 40
Travis Steele Grew up in Indiana. Butler grad. 40
Wes Miller Grew up in NC. UNC grad. 39
Steve Pikiell Grew up in Bristol, Connecticut. UConn grad. 54
Ryan Odom Grew up in NC. Hampden-Sydney grad (son of Dave Odom). 47
Mark Pope Born in Nebraska but HS in Bellevue, WA. UW/Kentucky grad 49
Porter Moser Grew up in Illinois, Creighton grad. 53
Johnny Dawkins Grew up in DC (LoMo's alma mater) . Duke Grad. 58
Tommy Amaker Grew up Northern VA. Duke grad. 56
Bobby Hurley Grew up in Jersey City, NJ. Duke grad. 50
Frank Martin Grew up in Miami. FIU grad. 55

Some thoughts:

Not many on your list with a background from the Northeast. A lot of coaches from the Midwest.

You had a bunch of Dukies but didn't include Greg Paulus, who is probably the best fit of the bunch.

I wouldn't want to hire someone more than 50 unless there were some strong extenuating circumstances. All things being equal I would prefer a coach known for an exciting playing style and a high scoring offense. I think they is what the fan base craves and would draw the biggest crowds/drive the most excitement.

I don't think JW is going after anyone on your list. I think he targets someone like Billy Donovan. A relatively big name with some ties to the East and the right type of personality to restore excitement to Syracuse basketball. I continue to think John is going to land a big name. I bet he at least tries really hard to make this happen.
Billy Donovan would be a heck of a get

Does anyone know how long JB has a contract for? His contract extension last time in 2017 was for five years. Has he been extended?

Does anyone know how long JB has a contract for? His contract extension last time in 2017 was for five years. Has he been extended?
Cag GIF by American School of Guatemala

These threads are ignorant. I love how people are claiming this program should be at best a blue blood in college basketball and at worst a next tier, yet there are coaches suggested or itemized that are assistants. If Cuse is on the pedestal we all believe, hiring a rookie is the most ignorant I’ve ever heard. Please stop speaking out both sides your mouth, just so you can claim to be right because you spaghetti’d the wall. Brad Stephens and Jason Hart are not in the same conversation period.

I appreciate all that JB is worth. He stays until he wants to go in my opinion. We have the most unique defense of the last 3x decades and people actually still fear it come tourney time. That’s more important that people realize and we will miss the “Tavern” Zone for ages.

This post will likely be zapped but shouldn’t. I’m tired of reading the ignorance around here and wish they’d heed the wake up check. That said, I’m willing to accept the ban if the post stays. Sign me up.

Pikiell, Amaker and Dawkins could all be in play. Tough nut to swallow but they have experience. I wonder if McCaffrey at 62 yo would be considered. Solid coach, good recruiter but just not a huge winner although this year could be a breakthrough.

If McCaffrey is 62 he shouldn’t be considered. Who wants to go through this all over again when he has to be led out to pasture in 3-5 years?

These threads are ignorant. I love how people are claiming this program should be at best a blue blood in college basketball and at worst a next tier, yet there are coaches suggested or itemized that are assistants. If Cuse is on the pedestal we all believe, hiring a rookie is the most ignorant I’ve ever heard. Please stop speaking out both sides your mouth, just so you can claim to be right because you spaghetti’d the wall. Brad Stephens and Jason Hart are not in the same conversation period.

I appreciate all that JB is worth. He stays until he wants to go in my opinion. We have the most unique defense of the last 3x decades and people actually still fear it come tourney time. That’s more important that people realize and we will miss the “Tavern” Zone for ages.

This post will likely be zapped but shouldn’t. I’m tired of reading the ignorance around here and wish they’d heed the wake up check. That said, I’m willing to accept the ban if the post stays. Sign me up.
You’re serious, aren’t you…. Bless your little heart. :)

JB was an assistant. Duke just hired an assistant. Weren’t Few and Stevens assistants? I’ll bet, if you tried hard enough, you could name a dozen top tier current HCs who took over after being assistants. If you’re suggesting SU is at a higher level than some of those schools when those coaches were hired, I’d suggest that the objective is to identify the best candidate, and that being a HC at a lesser program first may not be more of a guarantee of anything. And also that we aren’t currently at the level that seems to be etched in a lot of fans’ minds. Being a blue blood or a tier below doesn’t preclude choosing from a pool of assistants. That’s “ignorant.” [I was hearing Michael Jackson’s voice as I read your post, and now it’s stuck in my head, dagnabbit.]

We have a unique defense that no other ADs or head coaches have chosen to adopt exclusively. Doesn’t that say something? I don’t think the best high schoolers are going to miss the tavern league D.

I can’t believe this, but I’m coming around to the idea of it being Pitino. I’m actually warming to it.

Yeah, he’s got baggage and a little stink on him. But, is that permanent? How long does he have to pay? If we are thinking about absolute best odds to perform well for us and get us back into the national rankings and spotlight, I don’t think there’s anyone gettable who would be better. Whether or not you want to be attached to him is another story, but without a clear alternative, I’m not laughing at this like I did even a few days ago.

Billy Donovan is making $6M+ a year coaching the current #1 seed in the eastern conference in the NBA.

There are 30 of those jobs in the world coaching the best basketball players in the universe.

1) He’s not an option.

2) How many “Billy Donovans” are out there? Not many.

Billy Donovan is making $6M+ a year coaching the current #1 seed in the eastern conference in the NBA.

There are 30 of those jobs in the world coaching the best basketball players in the universe.

1) He’s not an option.

Well, he would be coming as the recruiting assistant to Pitino, until he retires.

Honestly I would rather keep McNamara and make him HC than to replace JB with a has been run of the mill coach.
He will always be a part of SU history and I think “could” be a good HC in the future. I would love it to have him be a successful HC right here at Syracuse.

If he fails, well atleast we have it a try. One of our own.
The problem with GMac is that he has shown absolutely no ability to recruit at a high level. That is just a fact. Are you ready to leave the program to an assistant coach who has no experience coaching and has shown no real ability to recruit. Hop was a great recruiter. Red is a very good recruiter. Even Griffin has shown some potential to bring in some great talent, even if it did not work out (ie, Bazeley, Richmond and Newton). Sidibhe has been GMac's best recruit in quite a few years. I'm just saying.

The problem with GMac is that he has shown absolutely no ability to recruit at a high level. That is just a fact. Are you ready to leave the program to an assistant coach who has no experience coaching and has shown no real ability to recruit. Hop was a great recruiter. Red is a very good recruiter. Even Griffin has shown some potential to bring in some great talent, even if it did not work out (ie, Bazeley, Richmond and Newton). Sidibhe has been GMac's best recruit in quite a few years. I'm just saying.
I would be ok with Red as well. Hopkins too.
I’m just saying instead of a retread guy we stick with the program. Wether that’s GMac, Red, Griffin, Hop, etc.

If we can snag an Oats or Cooley type coach then by all means I would love that. But if we are settling for a Josh Pastner or Jeff Capel type of coach I’d rather keep it in house.

I can’t believe this, but I’m coming around to the idea of it being Pitino. I’m actually warming to it.

Yeah, he’s got baggage and a little stink on him. But, is that permanent? How long does he have to pay? If we are thinking about absolute best odds to perform well for us and get us back into the national rankings and spotlight, I don’t think there’s anyone gettable who would be better. Whether or not you want to be attached to him is another story, but without a clear alternative, I’m not laughing at this like I did even a few days ago.

I can't wait for the orange suit.

1) He’s not an option.

Add brad stevens to that list too. Guy is newly president of basketball operations of a premier NBA franchise. He’s not coming here or anywhere else unless he gets fired. But he’s 100% not getting fired in the next year. At best, maybe 5-6 years down the line if he’s horrible? I really hope we don’t stick with JB that long…

Or let’s have fun and say he is available. I can easily think of at least a couple programs with possible openings that he’d rather be at, and they’d go hard after him if he’s available. Indiana and Michigan to name a couple obvious ones.

Add brad stevens to that list too. Guy is newly president of basketball operations of a premier NBA franchise. He’s not coming here or anywhere else unless he gets fired. But he’s 100% not getting fired in the next year. At best, maybe 5-6 years down the line if he’s horrible? I really hope we don’t stick with JB that long…

Or let’s have fun and say he is available. I can easily think of at least a couple programs with possible openings that he’d rather be at, and they’d go hard after him if he’s available. Indiana and Michigan to name a couple obvious ones.

These guys aren't going back to college and recruiting. He has a great job now with two great young players on his squad.

And you're right, if he were to somehow go back to college, it is not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.