Potential JB successors | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s face it guys, we all know deep down it’s going to be either Red or GMac. Syracuse is scared of real change.

Why should anyone on this staff be in consideration?
Maybe cuz…
It would be very ugly to fire a full bench of orange alums.
Maybe Red or GMac inspire the same confidence Hopkins did when he was named successor.
Because they’re attainable, known/familiar.
Hiring from within is a common theme. Hopefully, you wouldn’t be paying someone to assist that you don’t think has the qualities and talents for an even bigger role.
They’re more likely than an outsider to be a lifer/loyal… not leading to more turnover.
The AD trusts that our issues can be resolved from the inside and maybe he has had conversations with them that give him confidence.
Because the assistants—without greater/different input into how things are being done—aren’t the problem?
Hiring someone from the outside may be just a interim step for that person, leading to a different ‘dream job’ and/or more money.

?
I dunno. I’m out.

Maybe cuz…
Maybe Red or GMac inspire the same confidence Hopkins did when he was named successor.
Hiring from within is a common theme. Hopefully, you wouldn’t be paying someone to assist that you don’t think has the qualities and talents for an even bigger role.
They’re more likely than an outsider to be a lifer/loyal… not leading to more turnover.
The AD trusts that our issues can be resolved from the inside and maybe he has had conversations with them that give him confidence.
Because the assistants—without greater/different input into how things are being done—aren’t the problem?
Hiring someone from the outside may be just a interim step for that person, leading to a different ‘dream job’ and/or more money.

?
I dunno. I’m out.
No one wants to fire them. The bottom line is its time to start over. No one on this current staff has distinguished themselves as a must hire.

Maybe cuz…

?
I dunno. I’m out.
Bingo we have a winner.

No one wants to fire them. The bottom line is its time to start over. No one on this current staff has distinguished themselves as a must hire.
I didn’t say these were my thoughts. Just offering potential explanations for why the current assistants might be considered.

I agree, it’s time to start over, but at the same time, I don’t like the idea of getting rid of our former players. Either way, there’s going to be some pain involved.

I can’t believe this, but I’m coming around to the idea of it being Pitino. I’m actually warming to it.

Yeah, he’s got baggage and a little stink on him. But, is that permanent? How long does he have to pay? If we are thinking about absolute best odds to perform well for us and get us back into the national rankings and spotlight, I don’t think there’s anyone gettable who would be better. Whether or not you want to be attached to him is another story, but without a clear alternative, I’m not laughing at this like I did even a few days ago.

Pitino is 70 years old. You want our next coach to start here at 70 years old?

We may as well give it up. JB is not going anywhere on his own accord. He has made that very clear. He obviously is in charge of his own destiny. JW also backs him 100%.

It may be another several years before he hangs it up. He may never hang them up.

Pitino is 70 years old. You want our next coach to start here at 70 years old?
No. Ideally, no.
But I’d prefer him to some of the other oldsters being named herein.

Without any inside knowledge, I think you can count on three things in our next coach:
  1. He will not be in his 70's (or probably even his 60's)
  2. He will be paid market value
  3. He will not be Rick Pitino
My guess is hop gets the first interview and it’s his to win or lose. After that su is going after someone with head coaching experience. I can see Jason hart in the mix.

My guess is hop gets the first interview and it’s his to win or lose. After that su is going after someone with head coaching experience. I can see Jason hart in the mix.
How old is G

I hope and expect that JW does a nation wide search and will not hire any of our assistants. I hope and expect that he will hire a MTM coach.

Thoughts on some often mentioned candidates:

Hop - no, too tied to the zone and his overall record is so-so. We can do better, but I will say that I would have been OK if he replaced JB in 2018.

J Wright - no, would have been a great hire 20 yrs ago, but not now. It's hard to reproduce high level success a second time in a different situation - give it up.

Oats - no, might have been a great hire before he left for Bama, but definitely not now; opening the wallet to pay whatever it takes to buy a coach is not the way to go. Heck, look at
Hop: COY twice in his first two years and then... Also, Oats' personality is a yellow flag.

Pitino - my choice in ~2005/6 - he would have done great (GREAT!!!) at SU, but he was already at UL and JB was going nowhere - ships passing in the night. He would still do well now, but he is too short term.

And Fizz, for gosh sakes, no Thad Matta!

Mark Few - in what universe would he give up Gonzaga for Cuse!? Also, see J Wright.

I hope and expect that JW does a nation wide search and will not hire any of our assistants. I hope and expect that he will hire a MTM coach.

Hop - no, too tied to the zone and his overall record is so-so. We can do better, but I will say that I would have been OK if he replaced JB in 2018.

J Wright - no, would have been a great hire 20 yrs ago, but not now. It's hard to reproduce high level success a second time in a different situation - give it up.

Oats - no, might have been a great hire before he left for Bama, but definitely not now; opening the wallet to pay whatever it takes to buy a coach is not the way to go. Heck, look at
Hop: COY twice in his first two years and then... Also, Oats' personality is a yellow flag.

Pitino - my choice in ~2005/6 - he would have done great (GREAT!!!) at SU, but he was already at UL and JB was going nowhere - ships passing in the night. He would still do well now, but he is too short term.

Mark Few - in what universe would he give up Gonzaga for Cuse!? Also, see J Wright.
All your thoughts are about who we shouldn’t or can’t hire. Are you willing to go out on a limb and suggest some names of either big time coaches we could land or already successful coaches who could take the next step into the upper echelon at Syracuse?

All your thoughts are about who we shouldn’t or can’t hire. Are you willing to go out on a limb and suggest some names of either big time coaches we could land or already successful coaches who could take the next step into the upper echelon at Syracuse?
I watch very little college BB other than SU, so i only have one name - Shaka Smart. l know that he semi-bombed at texas, but he has rebounded at marquette. hE was brilliant at VCI. Even though he is from wisc, he should be affordable and interested in an acc job.

BTw, my capslock is all screwed up.

I watch very little college BB other than SU, so i only have one name - Shaka Smart. l know that he semi-bombed at texas, but he has rebounded at marquette. hE was brilliant at VCI. Even though he is from wisc, he should be affordable and interested in an acc job.

BTw, my capslock is all screwed up.

If we go outside, Smart, or at least someone like him, would be my guess too.

If Shaka Smart is the best we can do then we should just go internal.

If Shaka Smart is the best we can do then we should just go internal.
I mean, I'm no Shaka fanboy but if you look at what he's done with Marquette this year after Wojo had them barely treading water for a few yrs is impressive.

edit: I think Texas just tends to be... a sort of black hole for coaches - Barnes did well there but ultimately just couldn't really get there and is seemingly better now at Tenn - even Beard right now is looking less impressive than he did at TT

I mean, I'm no Shaka fanboy but if you look at what he's done with Marquette this year after Wojo had them barely treading water for a few yrs is impressive.

edit: I think Texas just tends to be... a sort of black hole for coaches - Barnes did well there but ultimately just couldn't really get there and is seemingly better now at Tenn - even Beard right now is looking less impressive than he did at TT
I think Beard will eventually do well there.

Shaka's resume at Texas was equal to JB's last 8 years at Syracuse without the tourney success. I need to see more of him at Marquette.

Coach K has had many former players as head coaches. How are they doing. Any national championships or consistently in the Top 25 rank?

Interesting article about Hopkins coaching ability or inability, whichever way you read it.
" If you bump that up to 5 years of coaching then Hopkins holds a slight edge over Ernie Kent for the worst performance relative to expectations".
That quote says volumes on whether he should ever be a candidate here.

Last edited:

Not that I believe he is even going to coach again, but why are you so down on such a successful coach?

If you are a coach at Texas you are probably #3 behind the coaches in football and baseball. Not a great foundation to start on.

Interesting article about Hopkins coaching ability or inability, whichever way you read it.
" If you bump that up to 5 years of coaching then Hopkins holds a slight edge over Ernie Kent for the worst performance relative to expectations".
That quote says volumes on whether he should ever be a candidate here.
This was the problem with Hop taking the UW job as opposed to staying on the east coast. Hop truthers still could argue his recruiting ties are weak out west and it’s hurting him big time.

Maybe cuz…

?
I dunno. I’m out.
This is why Gerry is going to be out next Head Coach. He would be a very easy choice and probably the most popular new coach of anyone. His basketball knowledge is unchallenged, IMO, guaranteed by his career at SU and sitting next to our current head coach for 11 years. He's learned a lot more from working for and with JB, a coach with almost 1,100 wins.

The pleasant surprise with GMac for me when he arrived was his ability to solidly play the point guard position and his fingerprints are all over the Syracuse record book, as he set the SU career marks for free throw percentage, three point shots made and minutes played. He finished as the fourth all-time leading scorer, third in assists, and second in steals. Most importantly he left behind a legacy of thrilling Syracuse fans for four seasons.

He is one of the most popular players in Syracuse history, he was named to the Big East third team his sophomore year, and the Big East first team his junior and senior years. If he is chosen to lead the program I guarantee there will be, as it was when he was playing, busloads of fans driving up to the Carrier Dome to see 'The Mayor of Scranton' play each home game.

Popularity doesn't get you wins but he has so much experience in so many game situations and knows how each position is supposed to be played that I believe he would the next great coach at SU. The people who want someone like Pitino or another coach like Oaks may be all over me here but this is MY choice and I'll live with the disagreements.

Status
Not open for further replies.