Pre-Camp Unit DC thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Pre-Camp Unit DC thoughts

GoSU96

Living Legend
DL - Leaning into age and size here for starters, but I can see them going three deep. Three seniors Diggs, Wilson, Ingraham, Hastings Bama transfer. 2- Jaquez, Jobity, EFC, Nwokocha; 3- Edwards, Simmons, Perry, Watson. Simmons could be on the clock roster wise.

LB - 1- Wax, McDonald; 2 - Sparrow, Bailey (is he dinged up?); 3 - Heard, ZMG

DB - 1 In ink - Clark, Barron, Chestnut, pencil, Bellamy, Grant. 2 - Lewis, Gould, Washington, Barnes, . The rest are working to get the spot on the two deep.

OL - 1 Reed, ECJr, Petry, Washington, Weatherspoon,; 2 Ilaoa, Moeolo, Wohlabaugh (if he can play), Bradford, Miller,

TE - Gadsden, Villari, 2 - Mang, Clement (In line)

WR - 1 Meeks, JRS, Pena, 2 - Haynes, Hatcher, Gill, 3 - Ross, James, Hornsby, Thomas. It would be great if one of the freshmen is an instant impact player

QB - McCord, CDRW,Williams,

RB - Allen, Willis, Nixon, Hart

It’s going to be very interesting to see how much info we get in August.

DL - Leaning into age and size here for starters, but I can see them going three deep. Three seniors Diggs, Wilson, Ingraham, Hastings Bama transfer. 2- Jaquez, Jobity, EFC, Nwokocha; 3- Edwards, Simmons, Perry, Watson. Simmons could be on the clock roster wise.

DB - 1 In ink - Clark, Barron, Chestnut, pencil, Bellamy, Grant. 2 - Lewis, Gould, Washington, Barnes, . The rest are working to get the spot on the two deep.

OL - 1 Reed, ECJr, Petry, Washington, Weatherspoon,; 2 Ilaoa, Moeolo, Wohlabaugh (if he can play), Bradford, Miller,

WR - 1 Meeks, JRS, Pena, 2 - Haynes, Hatcher, Gill, 3 - Ross, James, Hornsby, Thomas. It would be great if one of the freshmen is an instant impact player

For OL what about the kid from Grambling?

I think Barnes starts. No matter what this is going to be a fun guess the depth chart preseason.

I’m really curious to see how closed or open the practices are going to be

For OL what about the kid from Grambling?
Hornsby - grad transfer likely in the mix at OG. But the OL depth is amazing compared to recent years. Will be some competition and shuffling in August.

Meeks at WR - I think he will play in the slot, but as part of a rotation. Same on the outside, where we have Haynes, Gill, a true frosh or two, in addition to the new transfer (JRS). Probably 6 in rotation (including slot) and we won’t know starters until September and even then there will be a deep rotation. Good situation, with a deep unit.

Hornsby - grad transfer likely in the mix at OG. But the OL depth is amazing compared to recent years. Will be some competition and shuffling in August. < snip >

. Good situation, with a deep unit.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

I hope Williams wins QB #2. Not that I want him to have to play this year, but maybe then it shows he can compete to start next year. I have no confidence in CDRW, so if Williams can't beat him even as a freshman, I won't think he'll be a factor.

What the staff was able to do with the D line in the offseason was incredible.

The talent infused on the O line was also impressive, but learning and implementing blocking rules, and gelling as a unit takes time - I still expect growing pains there.

The D line on the other hand, I expect to be a force from day one. Hard to say who starts, but I really think that will be a nominal distinction. I think we have the depth and talent to rotate guys a lot and keep them fresh.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see four newcomers (Diggs, Wilson, Nwokocha, and Hastings) play our first defensive snap.

My prediction for OL starters:

LT -- Washington [Colorado transfer]
LG - Miller
C - Reed
RG - Weatherspoon [or Bradford]
RT - Cruz

LG - Miller
C - Reed
RT - Cruz
Anything is possible with so many transfers, but that lineup would be a lot of shuffling from the starting unit in the Spring game. You flip Cruz to the RT, Switch Miller inside to LG, and Weatherspoon inside from RT.
Interesting if we have that much versatility. Musical chairs in August? Maybe so.

and Wohlabaugh. A starter that we have no idea about how he comes back.

Can we get into Oct healthy with some depth for once.
From what P-S wrote Wohlabaugh had a second surgery after first didn't do the trick. He could be fairly behind schedule.

Anything is possible with so many transfers, but that lineup would be a lot of shuffling from the starting unit in the Spring game. You flip Cruz to the RT, Switch Miller inside to LG, and Weatherspoon inside from RT.
Interesting if we have that much versatility. Musical chairs in August? Maybe so.

True, and I admit that it is little more than a WAG on my part.

DL - Leaning into age and size here for starters, but I can see them going three deep. Three seniors Diggs, Wilson, Hastings Bama transfer, Jaquez. 2- Jobity, Ingraham, , EFC, Nwokocha; 3- Edwards, Simmons, Perry, Watson. Simmons could be on the clock roster wise.

LB - 1- Wax, McDonald; 2 - Sparrow, ZMG ; 3 - Heard, Bailey

DB - 1 In ink - Clark, Barron, Chestnut, pencil, Lewis, Grant. 2 - Bellamy, Gould, Washington, Barnes, . The rest are working to get the spot on the two deep.

OL - 1 Reed, ECJr, Miller, Washington, Weatherspoon,; 2 Ilaoa, Moeolo, Wohlabaugh (if he can play), , , Petry, Bradford

WR - 1 , Haynes, JRS, Pena, 2 - Meeks, Gill, Ross, 3 - Hatcher, James, Hornsby, Thomas. It would be great if one of the freshmen is an instant impact player

QB - McCord, Williams, CDRW

GO, This was a fun write up as usual. I provided some alternatives with thoughts just to see if I have any sense at all. Would love to hear your (and others) more connected opinions regarding my response (I am not connected at all, so these are intuition, not based on intel)

Jaquez for Ingraham because I don't think we will start three DTs and Jaquez was 1st team during spring game

ZMG for Bailey because he looked like he was ahead of him during the spring game, but with only two backers it was hard to tell. Also ZMG was arguably the most impressive backer all day that day (dont feel strongly about this one)

Lewis for Bellamy Lewis started at ND, and Bellamy didn't. Bellamy didn't even start the year here over Wilson (who was physcially challenged). I think Bellamy will be CB 4 or 5 but solid depth, particularly under Fran's mentoring

Miller for Petry because I think Petry was only ahead because of continuity in the program. I don't think Fran would have brought Miller in from his team if he didn't think he could make an impact. Also Petry has never beaten out our mediocre starters here, so I have less confidence there for that reason as well but will be stoked if he starts since it means he beat out a bunch of decent talent, instead of being the best of a motely crew like the last several years

Haynes for Meeks based him being the top talked about talent in the room (aside from OG) all spring, starting the spring game, getting the most touches and finally he can play outside with JRS unlike Meeks who I think lacks the speed for the outside and will see more time inside but the top 5 will all play a lot, similar to 2016 with Ish, AET, Estime, Erv...

Ross for Hatcher Based on Hatcher already being passed by Gil, I think he is low man in the room as far as the experienced players go. Also, his continued achilies showing up in the spring game (drops) and I figure one of the new kids will make a splash as you say so I picked the top 150 kid out of Jerz. I feel pretty strongly that Hatcher will not be on the 2 deep (I am counting OG as a WR) but don't feel strongly it will be Ross that replaces him

Williams for CDRW Typically the incumbent has the advantage that the biggest benefit of experince is ability to read defensens, react to live situations and the other intangibles. In this case those are CDRWs biggest weakness with his biggest strength being his arm talent. Unfortunately for him Williams also has terrific arm talent, also seems like a great athlete, like CDRW (and I give CDRW credit for getting in better shape and regaining his athleticism from 2 years ago!). Also Williams is the future, so reps in practice and in games may be better spent on him, if both are going to be long shots to win us a game

From what P-S wrote Wohlabaugh had a second surgery after first didn't do the trick. He could be fairly behind schedule.
Yep that latest news about the second surgery didn't give me the warm fuzzies. Seems like that's traditionally a scenario that hasn't gone our way in the past. We'll see if Fran brings us better luck. I think the OL is improved on paper, but I've thought that so many times that I'm definitely in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.

DL - Leaning into age and size here for starters, but I can see them going three deep. Three seniors Diggs, Wilson, Hastings Bama transfer, Jaquez. 2- Jobity, Ingraham, , EFC, Nwokocha; 3- Edwards, Simmons, Perry, Watson. Simmons could be on the clock roster wise.

LB - 1- Wax, McDonald; 2 - Sparrow, ZMG ; 3 - Heard, Bailey

DB - 1 In ink - Clark, Barron, Chestnut, pencil, Lewis, Grant. 2 - Bellamy, Gould, Washington, Barnes, . The rest are working to get the spot on the two deep.

OL - 1 Reed, ECJr, Miller, Washington, Weatherspoon,; 2 Ilaoa, Moeolo, Wohlabaugh (if he can play), , , Petry, Bradford

WR - 1 , Haynes, JRS, Pena, 2 - Meeks, Gill, Ross, 3 - Hatcher, James, Hornsby, Thomas. It would be great if one of the freshmen is an instant impact player

QB - McCord, Williams, CDRW

GO, This was a fun write up as usual. I provided some alternatives with thoughts just to see if I have any sense at all. Would love to hear your (and others) more connected opinions regarding my response (I am not connected at all, so these are intuition, not based on intel)

Jaquez for Ingraham because I don't think we will start three DTs and Jaquez was 1st team during spring game

ZMG for Bailey because he looked like he was ahead of him during the spring game, but with only two backers it was hard to tell. Also ZMG was arguably the most impressive backer all day that day (dont feel strongly about this one)

Lewis for Bellamy Lewis started at ND, and Bellamy didn't. Bellamy didn't even start the year here over Wilson (who was physcially challenged). I think Bellamy will be CB 4 or 5 but solid depth, particularly under Fran's mentoring

Miller for Petry because I think Petry was only ahead because of continuity in the program. I don't think Fran would have brought Miller in from his team if he didn't think he could make an impact. Also Petry has never beaten out our mediocre starters here, so I have less confidence there for that reason as well but will be stoked if he starts since it means he beat out a bunch of decent talent, instead of being the best of a motely crew like the last several years

Haynes for Meeks based him being the top talked about talent in the room (aside from OG) all spring, starting the spring game, getting the most touches and finally he can play outside with JRS unlike Meeks who I think lacks the speed for the outside and will see more time inside but the top 5 will all play a lot, similar to 2016 with Ish, AET, Estime, Erv...

Ross for Hatcher Based on Hatcher already being passed by Gil, I think he is low man in the room as far as the experienced players go. Also, his continued achilies showing up in the spring game (drops) and I figure one of the new kids will make a splash as you say so I picked the top 150 kid out of Jerz. I feel pretty strongly that Hatcher will not be on the 2 deep (I am counting OG as a WR) but don't feel strongly it will be Ross that replaces him

Williams for CDRW Typically the incumbent has the advantage that the biggest benefit of experince is ability to read defensens, react to live situations and the other intangibles. In this case those are CDRWs biggest weakness with his biggest strength being his arm talent. Unfortunately for him Williams also has terrific arm talent, also seems like a great athlete, like CDRW (and I give CDRW credit for getting in better shape and regaining his athleticism from 2 years ago!). Also Williams is the future, so reps in practice and in games may be better spent on him, if both are going to be long shots to win us a game
All solid thinking. ZMG was a huge Babers get that didn’t get a lot of conversation for some reason. He’s good and built well.

Pretty much what my kid did in HS playing football and was back for BBall season.
He had his second surgery in February and is just now“prepping” for individual workouts. Whatever that means. Considering the time tables mentioned by you and others, I’d assume he is dealing with more than a broken fibula. Doesn’t seem good to me.

LG - Miller
C - Reed
RT - Cruz
It’s a shame wohloabough is probably still a year away. Hopefully they save him for the last 4 games.