Preferred starting lineup | Syracusefan.com

Preferred starting lineup

This was one of the best defensive teams in the country last season. Re-establish that and work in BS, EH, and JC to improve the O. Sprinkle in HW and BB to see if anything clicks.

Fun idea, do a mini platoon thing and switch in BS, EH, and JC for PC, OB, and FH.

PC's current health notwithstanding,
5 - PC/BS
4 - Marek
3 - Oashae
2 - Battle
1 - Howard

Hughes the super-6th off the bench.

Discuss.
I'd rather have Hughes in there for his offense to start. I like the idea of Carey being the offensive spark coming in off the bench, with Dolezaj being the defense/energy guy off the bench.

As an aside, if Carey continues to come along defensively, I wouldn't mind seeing him on the court with Battle and Frank at times either, with Tyus sliding down to the 3.

Small ball but not with Marek or Oshae at the 5. Options are limited.

5- Hughes
4- Marek
3- Oshae
2- Tyus
1- Frankie

How many centers will we face this year that will punish this roster? I'm watching UNC right now and their 2 best players Maye and Johnson can play center yes I'd probably start Sid or PC but I could see that lineup giving a lot of teams trouble. Plenty of size up top and on the wings.

Elijah gets a ton of steals to begin with imagine how many he'd have playing in the middle of our zone.

5 - PC/BS
4 - Marek
3 - Oashae
2 - Battle
1 - Howard

Discuss.

For now...I’m thinking the lineup we have now is the way to go. If Oshea is still shooting 35% or below by January, switch Marek in for him.

If Sidibe starts playing with consistency, I’d consider giving him that spot and 25 mpg and seeing what he does.

Last edited:
Sidibe/Oshae/Hughes/Tyus/Frank

Marek/Paschal/Carey off the bench. Marek plays a lot. I don’t think Tyus is capable of playing anywhere but the 2. Paschal is just a liability on offense. Can’t be rolling him out there on offense. It’s a joke at this level of college bball if we’re expected to be a good team having him out there too much.

5- Hughes
4- Marek
3- Oshae
2- Tyus
1- Frankie

How many centers will we face this year that will punish this roster? I'm watching UNC right now and their 2 best players Maye and Johnson can play center yes I'd probably start Sid or PC but I could see that lineup giving a lot of teams trouble. Plenty of size up top and on the wings.

Elijah gets a ton of steals to begin with imagine how many he'd have playing in the middle of our zone.
And imagine having PC at the top of the zone with his length contesting shooters.

I'm in with last season's starting 5. The other guys can earn their minutes.
(But get Carey minutes)

5- Hughes
4- Marek
3- Oshae
2- Tyus
1- Frankie

I don’t agree with that lineup, but I do agree that we can beat UNC this year. They are all perimeter on offense. If we play good D and they don’t light it up I like our chances. All those big monsters from previous years are gone, Pinston is gone. They are talented but they are not the matchup nightmare that they have been for us in the last 3-4 seasons.

And imagine having PC at the top of the zone with his length contesting shooters.

Our centers aren't healthy right now. Both are decent players in our zone when they are but we will have plenty of stretches with neither PC/Sid on the floor. I don't think Hughes is that short. I like Oshae and Marek in their prefered roles on the wing.

Defensively I like Hughes up top more than on the wings but I think Carey is ahead of him for first guard off the bench how often will he play when only 1 of Battle/Howard/Carey are on the floor. I don't really see whats wrong with that lineup and playing Elijah there instead of Brissett/Marek. Banged up PC/Sid might do better off the bench in limited minutes with no pressure to stay out of foul trouble.

5- Hughes
4- Marek
3- Oshae
2- Tyus
1- Frankie

um,
You’re proposing Elijah Hughes play center?

I don’t agree with that lineup, but I do agree that we can beat UNC this year. They are all perimeter on offense. If we play good D and they don’t light it up I like our chances. All those big monsters from previous years are gone, Pinston is gone. They are talented but they are not the matchup nightmare that they have been for us in the last 3-4 seasons.

I meant to watch some of the UNC-Texas game tonight. Looks like it was a good one but Texas took them down.

I meant to watch some of the UNC-Texas game tonight. Looks like it was a good one but Texas took them down.

I watched most of it. Good game. UNC still has Maye and two talented swingmen in Johnson and freshman Little. Their guard Coby White carried them with 33. He struck me as the kind of kid who looks like he could either have 30 against our zone, or he could go 2-15 and shoot them out of the game.

Garrison Brooks looked serviceable inside but not the kind of wide body who typical hurts us.

Just my impressions off watching 3/4 of a game.

I watched most of it. Good game. UNC still has Maye and two talented swingmen in Johnson and freshman Little. Their guard Coby White carried them with 33. He struck me as the kind of kid who looks like he could either have 30 against our zone, or he could go 2-15 and shoot them out of the game.

Garrison Brooks looked serviceable inside but not the kind of wide body who typical hurts us.

Just my impressions off watching 3/4 of a game.

What did you think of Texas? They already have a nice win VS Arkansas. Roach and Coleman are ballers. They are obviously smaller than last year but they have ballers.

5 - PC/BS
4 - Marek
3 - Oashae
2 - Battle
1 - Howard

Discuss.
I definitely agree with going back to basics. It comes down to either Hughes or Dolezaj starting. I lean towards Dolezaj because he makes things happen. Hughes is a better scorer but Marek can rebound, pass, block shots, hustles, dives on the floor and at times also score. The team plays more together with Marek"s high energy providing the glue. He does tend to get in foul trouble. I can see Brissett, Dolezaj and Hughes splitting 80 minutes. This team still has a lot to prove but the mix of new players with the starting five from last year has to jell. LGO

What did you think of Texas? They already have a nice win VS Arkansas. Roach and Coleman are ballers. They are obviously smaller than last year but they have ballers.

They looked good to me. I was focusing on UNC more just because they’re an opponent. Roach was really impressive. Really explosive and quick. And he passed well too. Did whatever he wanted. Had one of the better dunks I’ve seen this year too.

Last edited:
5 - PC/BS
4 - Marek
3 - Oashae
2 - Battle
1 - Howard

Discuss.
edit: Hughes/Carey - the super 6th/7th off the bench

Yeah, I am a fan of bringing Hughes off the bench immediately after the game starts. Have BS/PC as the token starters at the five, and sit them after a few minutes to bring in Hughes, where you go small and slide Marek to the 5. We HAVE to get more playmakers out there, and MD can fill in at the 5 for part of the half. Once you have MD in there along with Hughes to get the offense cooking, then bring PC/BS back in along with Carey to run some pick and roll action. You can then rest Battle at that point, and have Howard/Carey at the top of the zone, or rest OB and put Battle at the 3. I like Hughes's scoring ability off the bench, and I like MD's playmaking in the starting lineup.

I would go:

PC/BS
Marek
Oshae
Battle
FH.

I would argue that Carey's accelerated development has been the biggest positive for this young season thus far. Having him spell FH or play alongside him when Battle/OB is off the floor is CRITICAL to getting scoring lineups with our deeper rotation.

edit: Hughes/Carey - the super 6th/7th off the bench
I think what this thread shows is that JB has a lot of options available to him this season, with a solid guard, forward and center coming off the bench (plus Buddy and Washington), and that it may take him a while determine how to dole out the minutes and which combinations work best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom