Premier League 2021-2022 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League 2021-2022

Dyballa is too small for the prem. Great player but would get abused

Yeah, tell that to Man City. They led the league in scoring in several of the last few years without a guy taller than 5-7.

Liverpool has a bunch of smurfs up front, too. They have a hell of a time scoring, don't they? ;-)

Last edited:
I am no expert, but Tottenham really seemed to control the flow of the game.

Nuno has set them up in a narrow defensive structure - a Christmas Tree formation. It makes teams play wide against them while Spurs control the midfield.

It's a solid foundation that mask their weaknesses. Their midfield looks a little light in quality / numbers right now to last all season in that formation, but this bunches them up in the middle to make up for lack of elite quality among some of them with tactics and numbers.

But they are off to an excellent start.

Jesse Lingard was so good for the Hammers on loan from Manchester United. I expect them to sell, his value will never be higher and the Red Devils don’t really have a place for him. Regular first team football and if he finds that form, Southgate will give him that England call-up.

Man United is trying to offer Lingaard plus 40M for Declan Rice.

I am also reading that Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid is close to joining United.

If they added either (or both) of those guys (Saul and/or Rice), I think it would do a lot to fix their midfield.

Man for man, if everyone is healthy I think, other than Lukaku and and Kante, Liverpool
Is better than Chelsea. Chelse will get some chances on the break but I think Liverpool wins 2-1. VVD shuts down lukaku.

I think I mostly agree with this, although I think whoever Chelsea has who is in a comparable position to Jordan Henderson is better than Henderson. Any Chelsea counterpart is better than James Milner.

The other thing, though, is that some of those Liverpool guys are in decline. Milner, Henderson are over 30 and about half the squad is 29 or 30, including the whole front line, Virgil, Matip and new boy Thiago.

So they have a couple more years, maybe 3, for their championship window.

Chelsea, on the other hand, field one of the youngest teams in the Premier League, along with Leicester. So a bunch of our guys have room to improve. That will help close the gap.

Yeah, tell that to Man City. They led the league in scoring in several of the last few years without a guy taller than 5-7.

Liverpool has a bunch of smurfs up front, too. They have a hell of a time scoring, don't they? ;-)

It's a strength issue IMO. Aguero was pretty stout, skinny Mo couldn't get a game at Chelsea, jacked Mo scores for fun. Sadio and Bobby have some muscle to them as well, Jota got the full Burnley treatment on the weekend by contrast.

Dybala could probably play well for City or Liverpool but he's been there for the taking for years it seems if anyone wanted him. Not sure if he's missing something from his game or just that he'd cost twice that of comparable players skill set wise?

I think I mostly agree with this, although I think whoever Chelsea has who is in a comparable position to Jordan Henderson is better than Henderson. Any Chelsea counterpart is better than James Milner.

The other thing, though, is that some of those Liverpool guys are in decline. Milner, Henderson are over 30 and about half the squad is 29 or 30, including the whole front line, Virgil, Matip and new boy Thiago.

So they have a couple more years, maybe 3, for their championship window.

Chelsea, on the other hand, field one of the youngest teams in the Premier League, along with Leicester. So a bunch of our guys have room to improve. That will help close the gap.

Milner isn't a starter for us and I'd agree Hendo wouldn't be as vital to Chelsea as he is to Liverpool but man we're we shite after he got injured. Klopp asks much different from his midfield than most though. Lots of tough defensive work so the fullbacks can roam up the wings.

Different types of tactics so it's a tough exercise. I really like the squad you've got and think Tuchel is a great coach. You might be a year away yet OR he may get them to gel immediately. This weekend will be interesting as I don't think either team are fully firing.

What's Chelsea's best 11 and formation in your opinion?

Milner isn't a starter for us and I'd agree Hendo wouldn't be as vital to Chelsea as he is to Liverpool but man we're we shite after he got injured. Klopp asks much different from his midfield than most though. Lots of tough defensive work so the fullbacks can roam up the wings.

Different types of tactics so it's a tough exercise. I really like the squad you've got and think Tuchel is a great coach. You might be a year away yet OR he may get them to gel immediately. This weekend will be interesting as I don't think either team are fully firing.

What's Chelsea's best 11 and formation in your opinion?

And I truly believe Liverpool is being overlooked. I just wish the Fenway Group hadn't been so tight with the money. They did the same thing last summer, but then added Thiago and somebody else late in the window. Liverpool needs freshening up in the midfield.

The young center back gives them enough depth now, and I think that Joto is going to have a sensational year, and probably replace Firmino in the big games. The question is whether Klopp can get them to have the maniacal focus they had 2 or 3 years ago, as they were climbing the mountain.

I think this team needs another trophy or two before the gang ages out to be true legends for Liverpool. 2019 Champions League, and 1 point short in the Premier League was great. Then they delivered the goods and won the League in 2020.

For pride, they have to bounce back and at least win the F.A. Cup, challenge in the Prem, and get to the last 16, maybe last 8, in the Champions League this year.

They've only got a couple more years to win trophies. Klopp will have a rebuild on his hands in a couple years - at which point he will have been with the club for nine years. I wonder if he'll stick around for that.

And I truly believe Liverpool is being overlooked. I just wish the Fenway Group hadn't been so tight with the money. They did the same thing last summer, but then added Thiago and somebody else late in the window. Liverpool needs freshening up in the midfield.

The young center back gives them enough depth now, and I think that Joto is going to have a sensational year, and probably replace Firmino in the big games. The question is whether Klopp can get them to have the maniacal focus they had 2 or 3 years ago, as they were climbing the mountain.

I think this team needs another trophy or two before the gang ages out to be true legends for Liverpool. 2019 Champions League, and 1 point short in the Premier League was great. Then they delivered the goods and won the League in 2020.

For pride, they have to bounce back and at least win the F.A. Cup, challenge in the Prem, and get to the last 16, maybe last 8, in the Champions League this year.

They've only got a couple more years to win trophies. Klopp will have a rebuild on his hands in a couple years - at which point he will have been with the club for nine years. I wonder if he'll stick around for that.

Think we've still got another signing in us before the window closes with Shaq now off the books but I doubt it's anyone that's been mentioned. Liverpool transfer targets are always well kept secrets and half the price of bigger names. We do need homegrown counters.

I actually appreciate FSG running a sustainable operation as opposed to the big spenders. At least proves it CAN work, not that it always does. Covid financial losses hit us a bit deeper. That said, I've been a fan long enough to have lived through Hicks and Gillette almost running the team into administration so I'll take this by contrast.

Our best midfield hasn't even played together. Will be interesting to see what Thiago-Fab-Hendo midfield even looks like. I wouldn't be upset with 4-2-3-1 either with double pivot and Bobby tucked in behind Jota but that's my fifa pipe dream.

I don't think focus has ever been an issue. Injuries happened last year but gang is all back now. I'm sure they still want the bus top ride for winning the league that didn't happen due to covid.

Think we've still got another signing in us before the window closes with Shaq now off the books but I doubt it's anyone that's been mentioned. Liverpool transfer targets are always well kept secrets and half the price of bigger names. We do need homegrown counters.

I actually appreciate FSG running a sustainable operation as opposed to the big spenders. At least proves it CAN work, not that it always does. Covid financial losses hit us a bit deeper. That said, I've been a fan long enough to have lived through Hicks and Gillette almost running the team into administration so I'll take this by contrast.

Our best midfield hasn't even played together. Will be interesting to see what Thiago-Fab-Hendo midfield even looks like. I wouldn't be upset with 4-2-3-1 either with double pivot and Bobby tucked in behind Jota but that's my fifa pipe dream.

I don't think focus has ever been an issue. Injuries happened last year but gang is all back now. I'm sure they still want the bus top ride for winning the league that didn't happen due to covid.

They were relentless for a while, though. 68 straight unbeaten at Anfield.

I went back and looked, and starting with mid-January 2019 (18-19 season), they only had 1 loss in the their final 24 games.

They followed that up with only 2 losses in their first 38 games of 2019-20 (all competitions).

That's a streak of only 3 losses in 62 games across 2 seasons.

As we may recall, Liverpool kind of petered out, like they were emotionally spent, at the end of their Premier League championship season. They got knocked out of Champions League in only the Round of 16 as defending champs, and finished with 6 losses in their last 15 games, including getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Chelsea. They even lost to Watford.

Their invincibility was suddenly gone when the season was resumed after the COVID break in Project Restart, like they all wanted the season to be over already.

Last year, people forget, but again they started like a house on fire. They only had 2 losses in all comps all the way to New Years, and then the roof caved in. Ten losses from 20 matches from January to March 2021. Game over.

They could use a couple more guys for their squad. Spurs have less depth, but Liverpool has second least depth out of the Top Six, IMO. They should have done a bit more, but a bit better buying. I know they're looking for bargains all the time, but once in a while you have to buy a guy who is good enough to come right into your starting lineup.

That's how Mourinho used to do it. Why buy 5 squad players, when you can get 2 starters who make you a better team for the same amount of money? It's about spending it wisely.

Yes, these guys are going to be very interesting together. This might turn into a great midfield, as they get to know each other. Not a lot of athleticism, but smart players, enough guile, toughness, effort. Thiago is a great passer from deep, but he's not the guy to unlock a low block. They miss Coutinho still; Firmino hasn't quite become that guy, and he's not enough of a goal scorer.

It's going to be a great game on Saturday. Good luck.

They were relentless for a while, though. 68 straight unbeaten at Anfield.

I went back and looked, and starting with mid-January 2019 (18-19 season), they only had 1 loss in the their final 24 games.

They followed that up with only 2 losses in their first 38 games of 2019-20 (all competitions).

That's a streak of only 3 losses in 62 games across 2 seasons.

As we may recall, Liverpool kind of petered out, like they were emotionally spent, at the end of their Premier League championship season. They got knocked out of Champions League in only the Round of 16 as defending champs, and finished with 6 losses in their last 15 games, including getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Chelsea. They even lost to Watford.

Their invincibility was suddenly gone when the season was resumed after the COVID break in Project Restart, like they all wanted the season to be over already.

Last year, people forget, but again they started like a house on fire. They only had 2 losses in all comps all the way to New Years, and then the roof caved in. Ten losses from 20 matches from January to March 2021. Game over.

They could use a couple more guys for their squad. Spurs have less depth, but Liverpool has second least depth out of the Top Six, IMO. They should have done a bit more, but a bit better buying. I know they're looking for bargains all the time, but once in a while you have to buy a guy who is good enough to come right into your starting lineup.

That's how Mourinho used to do it. Why buy 5 squad players, when you can get 2 starters who make you a better team for the same amount of money? It's about spending it wisely.

It's hard to find starters to usurp those already there off the back of 99 and 97 point campaigns. Especially those with a pressing mentality and team ethos that requires personal stats suffer in midfield so others can flourish elsewhere. Our entire team builds through the fullbacks and the wings. Our midfield has to cover or it all breaks down quickly. I'd take 3 Kante's in midfield if I could.

Consequently I wanted another Chelsea player as a super sub off the bench this Summer that didn't happen. Giroud feasting of Trent and Robbo crosses specifically wouldve been a master stroke especially since he was on a free.

Last year started well... And then massive injuries happened. Virg out for the season in October, Gomez out for the season in November, Matip out for the season in January, Henderson out for the Season in February, Jota missed 12 weeks from mid December, Fab missed from January til March, etc. Knock on wood but I never expect to see that again.

City, unless Kane happens, look vulnerable. Chelsea obviously have what it takes to beat them and think Liverpool will rack points as well albeit more workmanlike than flashy. United pieces still don't add up to a title and Ole still at the wheel but they should out talent the remaining 15 teams.

I'd have more players off West Ham or Villa than I would Spurs and Arsenal are a hot mess. Bitters may touch Europa spot with a real manager as well. Season is wide open but top 4 should be set same as last

Ronaldo to Man City?

That would be nuts. He's only got another year or so, but just stick him in front of goal and he'll get you 25-30 goals, even playing in the Premier League (if you count all comps).

But I don't think he still has the energy in his legs to press the way Pep wants to play. That's why Ronaldo went to Italy in the first place - La Liga was too fast for him; England will be worse.

That's why Pep didn't play Aguero so much toward the end, aside from the injuries.

BTW, did you hear that Pep is only coaching one more year after this one! 2022-23 will be the end of the Pep - Man City marriage, which will have been 7 years at that point.

After that, he's going to take a year off and then look to coach a national team. He talked up Brazil quite a bit in the interview, so look for that in a few years.

That would be nuts. He's only got another year or so, but just stick him in front of goal and he'll get you 25-30 goals, even playing in the Premier League (if you count all comps).

But I don't think he still has the energy in his legs to press the way Pep wants to play. That's why Ronaldo went to Italy in the first place - La Liga was too fast for him; England will be worse.

That's why Pep didn't play Aguero so much toward the end, aside from the injuries.

BTW, did you hear that Pep is only coaching one more year after this one! 2022-23 will be the end of the Pep - Man City marriage, which will have been 7 years at that point.

After that, he's going to take a year off and then look to coach a national team. He talked up Brazil quite a bit in the interview, so look for that in a few years.
2026 Wprld Cup in the Americas would suggest Pep would coach a South American or USA/Mexico team
He is smart.

If Barca had caught Atletico on the last day last year for the title. That would be them in group B and it would be even more stacked.
Suarez returning to Anfield again.

I'd rather play Barca than Atleti currently. They're a shtshow currently, Atleti are an absolute pain in the ***.

Maybe I missed it in this thread but how TF did Madrid put in that bid for Mbappè? €170 million??? Didn’t think the club had that ability right now.

Maybe I missed it in this thread but how TF did Madrid put in that bid for Mbappè? €170 million??? Didn’t think the club had that ability right now.

They shed some salary this summer in Sergio Ramos, Rafael Varane and made some money from the sale of a handful of scrubs, led by Odegaard to Arsenal. And everyone they brought in was for free.

I think Barca is the team in the dreadful shape financially. I mean, they lost Messi because they couldn't afford to pay even half of his previous wages and reneged on his new contract at the last minute. Three or four of their senior guys are deferring money like they're Bobby Bonilla to try to help get guys able to be registered without violating Financial Fair Play. They can't even sign Aguero, if he were healthy, because they can't afford his salary.

Asking the same question you gave Klopp shite for earlier in this thread...

Hard to keep track but Barca are in shambles financially (140m each for Coutinho +€24,489,920m/year €470,960/week , and Dembele €12,787,840m/week €245,920/week type deals will do that). I think Real are relatively ok especially compared to that.

€170 million for Mbappe is honestly a steal but those rumored wages crush most teams chances. Real, City, United, and Chelsea are the only ones that can realistically pay near that base salary unless he's willing to take a heavily incentive based contract from another club like LFC.

As resident United fan… I agree.

Red will finish above blue anyway. But the social media takes will be juicy and amazing.

I'd love for United to finish ahead of City... Would mean Liverpool are walking the league again or Liverpool and Chelsea are battling for it.

Ronaldo to Man City?
giphy.gif

Sounds like Ronaldo is returning to Manchester United

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors