Preseason AP Poll is out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason AP Poll is out

I know uva are the champs but they might be a little high they lost so many guys.
We shouldn't be rated higher than #15 until serious play begins. We have too many question marks because of our personnel losses. The projected replacements have shown good play in the spots they were used in last year, but will have to step up their games because they will be depended on a lot more this year.

What's the deal with Arizona? I'm drawing a blank on if they were punished for paying players, etc.

Are they being investigated? Are they on probation? Or did they just skate through all that somehow?
Late edit: The process has barely begun. They have not received their Notification of Allegations, filed their response, or had their hearing yet.

We shouldn't be rated higher than #15 until serious play begins. We have too many question marks because of our personnel losses. The projected replacements have shown good play in the spots they were used in last year, but will have to step up their games because they will be depended on a lot more this year.

We used to get ranked on reputation too.

Those were the days.

Michigan State #1. ACC teams: Duke 4, Louisville 5, UNC 9, UVA 11.

We got 3 votes. Please nobody say that they prefer being outside the Top 25 to start the year. Please. I beg you. We are Syracuse.
So MSU gets crushed by Gonzaga in a scrimmage, and they still get the top spot?

I’ll put a finer point on it... we should be better. Period. If others are happy being a perpetual bubble team that’s their right. I don’t care for it at all.

"I don’t care for it at all."

So????

Are you setting the table for non-stop grousing until April?

Michigan State #1. ACC teams: Duke 4, Louisville 5, UNC 9, UVA 11.

We got 3 votes. Please nobody say that they prefer being outside the Top 25 to start the year. Please. I beg you. We are Syracuse.
We were Syracuse. Now we're syracuse.

Rankings and Odds

The # Below is the AP Ranking, and I have put the odds beside them. (Note that +800 equals 8 to 1)

1. Michigan St +650
2. Kentucky +800
3. Kansas +1300
4. Duke +850
5. Louisville +1800
6. Florida +1800
7. Maryland +3300
8. Gonzaga +2500
9. UNC +1400
10. Villanova +1800
11. Virginia +2000
12. Seton Hall +7000
13. Texas Tech +3300
14. Memphis +1300
15. Oregon +3300
16. Baylor +5000
17. Utah St +20000 (200 to 1)
18. Ohio St +5000
19. Xavier +6000
20. St Mary's +25000
21. Arizona +4000
22. LSU +5000
23. Purdue +7000
24. Auburn +6000
25. VCU +10000

Others
Syracuse +8000
Washington +7000

I bolded the outliers in the rankings. Any value in any of those. Note - that for this site you can cash out early, as odds increase.

I’m making a comment on a message board.
ohhh.gif

Of course we want a NC contender but this roster isn’t close to that right now.
maybe not a NC contender just yet, but i think you are way underestimating the talent on the roster

i suspect at season's end, both elijah & buddy will be in serious contention for spots on one of the three all acc teams, and quincy will make the all freshman team

maybe not a NC contender just yet, but i think you are way underestimating the talent on the roster

i suspect at season's end, both elijah & buddy will be in serious contention for spots on one of the three all acc teams, and quincy will make the all freshman team
Man I sincerely hope you’re right, moqui. (I guess I felt a little worse about the 2017-18 team with basically only Tyus back as our sole proven player.) I do think this team could surprise with JB changing up how we play offense, much better shooters, and some of our talent being underrated. But I’m still a bit shell-shocked at where the Syracuse program is at right now compared to our entire history in the Big East. We’re five years removed from our only top 4 ACC finish (#2 in 2013-14). I thought last year was going to be the turning point to get us back into top 4-5 in the conference, but no dice. I know things aren’t as bad as they seem. But we’ve just not had the kind of consistency we’ve come to expect from the Syracuse program basically since the early 70s. Sure, we had an NIT year here and there, but it was usually followed up with some really successful regular seasons and/or tourney runs. The downturn has been masked somewhat by two Final Four runs the past decade (btw, the 2015-16 team was better than people give them credit for), a surprise Sweet 16 run, and fairly high preseason expectations last year and in 2016-17 (the Andrew White-John Gillon year). I feel like we need one of our freshman or returnees to basically be a huge surprise a la Lawrence Moten if we want to finish in the top half of the ACC. Elijah is like the known quantity that season, Dave Johnson. Is there any chance that Guerrier, Goodine, Buddy or Carey could surprise like Moten did? I like all four of those guys and think they’ll at least be solid contributors for us this season. Hopefully one can be a scoring breakout.

Last edited:
Man I sincerely hope you’re right, moqui. (I guess I felt a little worse about the 2017-18 team with basically only Tyus back as our sole proven player.) I do think this team could surprise with JB changing up how we play offense, much better shooters, and some of our talent being underrated/better than expected. But I’m still a bit shell-shocked at where the Syracuse program is at right now compared to our entire history in the Big East. We’re five years removed from our only top 4 ACC finish (#2 in 2013-14). I thought last year was going to be the turning point to get us back into top 4-5 in the conference, but no dice. I know things aren’t as bad as they seem. But we’ve just not had the kind of consistency we’ve come to expect from the Syracuse program basically since the early 70s. Sure, we had an NIT year here and there, but it was usually followed up with some really successful regular seasons and/or tourney runs. The downturn has been masked somewhat by two Final Four runs the past decade (btw, the 2015-16 team was better than people give them credit for), a surprise Sweet 16 run, and fairly high preseason expectations last year and in 2016-17 (the Andrew White-John Gillon year). I feel like we need one of our freshman or returnees to basically be a huge surprise a la Lawrence Moten to finish in the top half of the ACC. Elijah is like the known quantity that season, Dave Johnson. Is there any chance that Guerrier, Goodine or Carey could surprise like Moten did?
su won the title in 03 and made the sweet 16 in 04
the next four years were two 1st round defeats and two nits. the mood around the forums was similarly dark and familiar voices were calling doom for the program, the coach was a dinosaur out of touch, etc.
then along came a crop of underrated players and the launch of the winningest 6 year run in school history.
i think the talent in the last 2 classes is good enough to start another big run

the next four years were two 1st round defeats and two nits. the mood around the forums was similarly dark and familiar voices were calling doom for the program, the coach was a dinosaur out of touch, etc.
then along came a crop of underrated players and the launch of the winningest 6 year run in school history.
i think the talent in the last 2 classes is good enough to start another big run

I certainly hope you’re right. We were a bubble team for 3 years in the mid-2000s, and if we are on the bubble again this year it would be 6 years. There comes a point (and that point is obviously subjective) when this isn’t an aberration, but rather just who we are now.

I certainly hope you’re right. We were a bubble team for 3 years in the mid-2000s, and if we are on the bubble again this year it would be 6 years. There comes a point (and that point is obviously subjective) when this isn’t an aberration, but rather just who we are now.
editor: the first 5 of those years the program was on probation

“No names” - like:
The #1 ranked Canadian recruit?
The all-time HS scorer in NYS history?
Some kid who happens to have the same last name as the HOF coach, now in his 44th season?

Shhhhh..;)

Agree that the sanctions and probation and uncertainty around JB’s retirement and the Hop transition is ultimately where the problems stem from. But the 2005-2008 period wasn’t anywhere near as mediocre. I wasn’t on this board then, but I didn’t feel beleaguered about the state of the program. We’d just won a natty (the ultimate prize), made a S16 and recruiting was on the upswing with Flynn, Harris, Green, etc. We won the Big East tourney in 2005 and 2006! We were a number 4 ncaa tourney seed in 04-05 and finished third in the Big East regular season. Yes, there were two first round flameouts but one came during a very good regular season. 2006-07 was an NIT year but it’s widely seen that we got shafted by the NCAA selection committee. And in 2007-08, we didn’t make the tourney but we’d just brought in a top recruiting class with Flynn, Green, Scoop and Rick, plus Harris the year before and Devo in 05-06. Not to mention a good base of 3 star guys like AO, Andy etc. It feels different now, especially when guys like Battle and Brissett, who weren’t even drafted, decide to leave early to play pro ball.

I do feel good about this year’s crop of freshman. They need to put together a momentum-building season, at the very least sneak into the tourney, and then have Elijah, Quincy and everyone else to stick around next season to really get things going.

Not really and gonzaga is good. We lost to lemoyne and went on to win 30 ,games.
What was our preseason rank that year? I guarantee it went down after that loss to lemoyne

What was our preseason rank that year? I guarantee it went down after that loss to lemoyne
25th I think and it had no bearing on our ranking nor should it.
Pre-season - ranked 31 (83 votes)

Next week - ranked 30 (67 votes)

So technically, we climbed in the rankings after losing to Le Moyne. Guess it was a good loss.

A “scrimmage” is just that. Coaches are focused on their team only...not on game planning for the opponent, trying to take away their strengths and exploit their weaknesses or anything like that.

You play all your guys, so if the other teams 8th-12th best players are better than yours you might lose just because of that. You work on different things to practice them and to see how they look, rather than just doing what you are best at or what will work best against that team, etc.

Point being, the result of a scrimmage really means nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom