Preseason Camp Thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Camp Thread

Babers stayed fairly mum on his backup QB battle. Reiterated that starter Garrett Shrader is dominating reps. Believes that Florida transfer Carlos Del Rio-Wilson could handle mental load for Week 1 was Louisville, though there’ll be a test to fully evaluate QB knowledge to come.

Babers singled out freshman corner Jeremiah Wilson as a scrimmage standout. He’s consistently worked with the 2s through camp (typically opposite Dartmouth transfer Isaiah Johnson) and is starting to make more plays, including an INT in the scrimmage.

One last injury update. Dino Babers on WR/KR Trebor Pena: "He’s been in and out of camp. He needs to get back on the field because he’s a very explosive player." Devaughn Cooper and Courtney Jackson have taken the vast majority of slot receiver reps in front of media this fall.

Wilson enrolled early, worked hard and did well in the spring. I’m sure this has helped him hit the ground running in fall camp.

Wilson is quick with good instincts and a good work ethic.

Last edited:
Yeah, not so sure this guy knows what he’s even talking about…

When Berg was out a couple days for an injury, Cruz slotted in with the 1s

Clark and Oliver have been mainly the 2s over Hanna Greenwood

Think this guys take is a little…….off?

I’m surprised this guy didn’t say Villari is about to be the starting QB even tho it’s been mainly Shrader taking all the snaps and DRW rotating in occasionally

There is also two weeks left of camp, more moves will be made in the following week.
If Que
If they start Jackson, Queeley and Cooper I will be disappointed and shocked.
If Queeley is a starter we won't have a good passing attack. We need to get plays downfield. The tight ends and Tucker should be able to get short yardage.

If Que
If Queeley is a starter we won't have a good passing attack. We need to get plays downfield. The tight ends and Tucker should be able to get short yardage.
I love Elmore, but I don’t see him as a good fit for Anae’s offense. He’s more a fullback than a TE. Maybe on heavy sets but if we are going to utilize the TE I’d like to see Mahar emerge or even Mang to a lesser extent. I just wish Landon Morris had stuck around.

I love Elmore, but I don’t see him as a good fit for Anae’s offense. He’s more a fullback than a TE. Maybe on heavy sets but if we are going to utilize the TE I’d like to see Mahar emerge or even Mang to a lesser extent. I just wish Landon Morris had stuck around.

agreed. I think he's just a TE in heavy sets and will play FB in goal line or some pass pro.

Last edited:
If Que
Depends what you mean about a "good" passing attack. We know Queely is a good blocker and that matters. I think he could be solid in the intermediate routes but not spectacular. I honestly don't see us throwing down field all that much. I mean you need to do it periodically to keep them somewhat honest but I don't see us hitting on those but rarely. Shrader just doesn't seem to have very good accuracy on deep balls. I think Anaes offense will be more passing but mostly short stuff. But at least it will be better schemed to get those routes open. But I too wish someone would beat Queely out as that just means we have somebody more talented. I think Jones end up starting but not sure if it is in place of Queely or in addition to. I'm kind of hoping it is in place of though.

If Que
I think Queeley has an opportunity to prove himself again now that we’re using Anae’s calling vs Sterling’s.

We had virtually no downfield approach for our wideouts with Gilbert.

That said, I still believe Oronde overtakes him.

Babers stayed fairly mum on his backup QB battle. Reiterated that starter Garrett Shrader is dominating reps. Believes that Florida transfer Carlos Del Rio-Wilson could handle mental load for Week 1 was Louisville, though there’ll be a test to fully evaluate QB knowledge to come.

Babers singled out freshman corner Jeremiah Wilson as a scrimmage standout. He’s consistently worked with the 2s through camp (typically opposite Dartmouth transfer Isaiah Johnson) and is starting to make more plays, including an INT in the scrimmage.

Looks like we'll have 4 game ready corners this season. And there ain't nothing wrong with that...

Queely can be more productive than he has been in previous years because this will be a better passing offense but I think we know what his ceiling is. I like Alford and Gadsden a lot and would like to have them playing more but for some reason I think they are better suited for a different offense / QB combination as I don't see us going down field all that much. I'm thinking Hatcher and Donovan Brown could be more productive in the passing game and would like them to get more time over Queely. And they obviously have a lot of room to improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom