Preseason Practice... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

It's sad how far the program has fallen. Hopefully the kids play well, and we have a solid season. Used to be nice when we had a true chance to win the whole thing. Now we simply hope to make the dance.
There is zero buzz around the program and it pains me to acknowledge this level of detachment. It’s never been this bad in my lifetime. It’s one thing if we came off a great season and everyone went pro, but we’re just killing time now waiting… lots of waiting.

Thank goodness for football.

if you have a lifer who is more or less killing it for 40 years, the reality is the end of that story is pretty likely to be disappointing. It's life for the most part (I guess Duke and UK are exceptions -- but there ain't many).

I guess that’s where we disagree; I don’t view 8-12 seeds and three missed tournaments (four if you think we weren’t gonna make it in 2020 had the tournament been played) since the move to the ACC as “killing it.”

There’s nothing wrong with being happy with those results - be a fan in the way that works for you - but I don’t think it’s crazy to believe SU should consistently sit somewhere between Duke-UNC and where we’ve been since 2014.

Last edited:
I guess that’s where we disagree; I don’t view 8-12 seeds and three missed tournaments (four if you think we weren’t gonna make it in 2020 had the tournament been played) since the move to the ACC as “killing it.”

There’s nothing wrong with being happy with those results - be a fan in the way that works for you - but I don’t think it’s crazy to believe SU should consistently sit somewhere between Duke-UNC and where we’ve been since 2014.
Do the math... JB was killing it as recently as February of 2014, when we were 25-0. JB started as head coach in 1976, so 38 years of killing it.

The poster you were responding to wasn't including the last 7-8 years in his estimate of JB's period of excellence. It hasn't been great, but realize what we're taking about here.

Please fully read the post you're responding to, before you argue a point that wasn't made.

"Do the math... JB was killing it as recently as February of 2014, when we were 25-0. JB started as head coach in 1976, so 38 years of killing it." - Niastri

And we'll be back in the tournament this year. The sucky thing is that his only losing year was the year his kids were on the team. My heart goes out to him.

Boy I hope hes right, dont want to see JB go out like last season but when he was younger I dont remember him hyping up his teams like this. Thats why im taking this with a grain of salt.

I bet he probably thought they would be good last season because of size, experience, shooting, chemistry and I bet he was shocked it went the way it did.
He hyped up Lydon’s team which disappointed. Other than that I think JB has been pretty accurate (now watch 30 people prove me wrong).

“I think it shows perseverance,” Williams said. “A lot of guys in my situation would have transferred, coming in as a highly touted high schooler, not playing that much, not scoring that much, not doing anything, really. I feel back to myself. I’m very confident of what I’m going to bring this year for my team.”

“I think it shows perseverance,” Williams said. “A lot of guys in my situation would have transferred, coming in as a highly touted high schooler, not playing that much, not scoring that much, not doing anything, really. I feel back to myself. I’m very confident of what I’m going to bring this year for my team.”

High character young man.

There is zero buzz around the program and it pains me to acknowledge this level of detachment. It’s never been this bad in my lifetime. It’s one thing if we came off a great season and everyone went pro, but we’re just killing time now waiting… lots of waiting.

Thank goodness for football.
And football is one of the reason that no one is talking about basketball. Probably best that there are low expectations for this young team but with a fairly low key non-conference schedule, hopefully it gives the squad some time to work through some growing pains to make some noise when the calendar turns.

If I'm coaching this kid, he plays 25 minutes the first 5 games. NO pulls for mistakes. Rather pats on the back for good plays. If he doesn't figure it out within the first q of the season fine bench him but DO NO NOT F with his head. He needs confidence. The kid is a baller. Don't mess him up.

And football is one of the reason that no one is talking about basketball. Probably best that there are low expectations for this young team but with a fairly low key non-conference schedule, hopefully it gives the squad some time to work through some growing pains to make some noise when the calendar turns.
Football won’t be around forever. If it could last until January that would be wonderful.

I think this hoops season has to be the swan song. Too much is at stake.

If I'm coaching this kid, he plays 25 minutes the first 5 games. NO pulls for mistakes. Rather pats on the back for good plays. If he doesn't figure it out within the first q of the season fine bench him but DO NO NOT F with his head. He needs confidence. The kid is a baller. Don't mess him up.
From your lips to you-know-who’s ears! Not for nothing, and heaven knows JB has forgotten more basketball than all of us will know in our lifetime, I have to hope the old dog tries a new trick instead of employing the “Roberson maneuver” on Benny.
It should be obvious the kid is too sensitive for that approach. Put him in, let him play, & see what happens. The quick hook & sit technique does not work w/ him.

Last edited:

Agreed. But I just can't help but wonder what would have happened in last year's ACC tourney if Buddy had not lost his composure and got suspended for the Duke game.

JB's teams generally come on strong late in the season, when teams don't have time to prepare for the zone. Last year was no exception. We blew out a decent FSU team, and almost won the Duke game even without Buddy. If we had won the ACC tourney, and got the NCAA invite, there's no telling what may have happened.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Agreed. But I just can't help but wonder what would have happened in last year's ACC tourney if Buddy had not lost his composure and got suspended for the Duke game.

JB's teams generally come on strong late in the season, when teams don't have time to prepare for the zone. Last year was no exception. We blew out a decent FSU team, and almost won the Duke game even without Buddy. If we had won the ACC tourney, and got the NCAA invite, there's no telling what may have happened.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

No.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
Even with Buddy, Cuse was not winning the ACC tourney last year.

When Jesse went down the glimmer of hope was gone. With Jesse we had a legit shot to turn the season around with maybe even a tourney bid.

At the time Jesse got hurt, we were 14-12 with losses to Colgate and Georgetown and good wins over basically no one.

Jesse being healthy would have probably saved the plus 500 season. We weren’t touching the tourney...and I literally posted at the time I expected the revisionist history to look back as if we had a shot.

At the time Jesse got hurt, we were 14-12 with losses to Colgate and Georgetown and good wins over basically no one.

Jesse being healthy would have probably saved the plus 500 season. We weren’t touching the tourney...and I literally posted at the time I expected the revisionist history to look back as if we had a shot.

I meant glimmer of hope as just that. As in 10 pct vs 0. We aren't in disagreement over likely outcome. Legit shot probably too strong of wording on my part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom