Preseason Practice... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

I knew what you meant and was responding to it and it's what I was referring to with Tyus and Scoop who had that so called hitch. JJ's process looks fluid. His release point could still be higher for my liking but let's see it in action first.
Yeah ok..whatever you say

Yeah ok..whatever you say

It's a lower release point. Watch Tyus and Scoop film from SU and the hitch they had on their shots. A couple folks called out JJs release point over the summer. It still looks to be a possible issue we will see. We can agree to disagree but I know exactly what you are calling a hitch. As I said agree to disagree.

Centers look big and bouncy, Williams and McCloud look like they are dunking on a nerf hoop. Taylor and Bell look pure both will play alot and get wide open looks with the ability of our guards to drive and bigs dunking, Red will have to figure out PT and will see if he can be a headcoach and make hard decisions

Centers look big and bouncy,

The_Who___Meaty__4ef0030e2c500.jpg

I didn’t say the hitch was in his shot. It’s before his shot. He does it more than once in that video.
Agreed. JJ is definitely bringing his arms and the ball out away from his body as he’s bringing the ball up in preparation to shoot, then has to bring his shooting arm from an extended out position back in to the 90 degree angle he needs before he releases it. Most good shooters have their shooting arm go straight up in a 90 degree angle the entire shooting motion. His release is clean, but damn that is an ugly set up to get into his shot. Very worrisome, considering JJ himself said in the Syracuse.com article that he’s trying to fix some bad habits he developed from his shoulder injury last year. With an shooting approach like we saw multiple times in that SI video, I can see him getting stripped a ton as he goes to shoot because he’s putting the ball out in front of him so much. Hopefully he irons that out, but to me his shot looks worse than it did from clips taken over the summer.

Anyways, awesome video to watch. From the clips we’ve seen, Red’s practices ooze intensity, energy, and cohesiveness. Love what I’m seeing so far!

Agreed. JJ is definitely bringing his arms and the ball out away from his body as he’s bringing the ball up in preparation to shoot, then has to bring his shooting arm from an extended out position back in to the 90 degree angle he needs before he releases it. Most good shooters have their shooting arm go straight up in a 90 degree angle the entire shooting motion. His release is clean, but damn that is an ugly set up to get into his shot. Very worrisome, considering JJ himself said in the Syracuse.com article that he’s trying to fix some bad habits he developed from his shoulder injury last year. With an shooting approach like we saw multiple times in that SI video, I can see him getting stripped a ton as he goes to shoot because he’s putting the ball out in front of him so much. Hopefully he irons that out, but to me his shot looks worse than it did from clips taken over the summer.

Anyways, awesome video to watch. From the clips we’ve seen, Red’s practices ooze intensity, energy, and cohesiveness. Love what I’m seeing so far!

This is a better way to put it. It's not a hitch. He is however putting the ball out in front and is setting his shot up lower similar to what you see with guys that tend to use a push shot. His release looks clean and better than last year where it was inconsistent.

Given how much of a threat he is to drive I don't see him getting stripped going up as a likely issue. The release point could be on closeouts though. His ability to hit open looks is most critical honestly and the release being improved should help there.

Something clearly happened at ND that won't return 100 pct back to pre ND. That said if it gets him up around or over 35 pct from 3 that will do just fine and I'm assuming that's what GMac has been working with him to do.

Lots to be excited about. Certainly plenty of questions yet to be answered too. Fun year ahead.

Big question will be is how much stronger he is, how are his hands and how does he look against a defender going up.
I'd wager strength is up based on the looks of most this offseason. The weight room was their friend. Agreed on your other two points. Just happy to see him out there. I mean they are featuring him in the above SU hoops post.

Carey looks stronger to me and moves well.
That's the part that gets me, from the limited clips of him in practice, he is a very fluid athlete. Not common for guys his size.

Exactly. Catch and shoot. Spot on about his release. It’s pure. But all the extra curriculars before he puts it up is not good. Too many things going on. Ball should be in his pocket for a split second before the rise and fire. Pushing the ball out and into the shot just seems so unnecessary. If it goes in I won’t complain.

Yeah Carey feels like one of those dudes we encounter once in a while on a really crappy out of conference team where the athleticism is so obvious you wonder why they aren't at a better school in a bigger conference, and instead we have that guy on our bench contributing in practice.

I have no idea how much he'll play this season (I think not much) but there can be a path to minutes in the future as he develops. He's exactly the kind of dude it's alright to have on scholarship at the end of the bench - lots of raw athleticism and potential, just needs some time to figure out basketball.

This is a better way to put it. It's not a hitch. He is however putting the ball out in front and is setting his shot up lower similar to what you see with guys that tend to use a push shot. His release looks clean and better than last year where it was inconsistent.

Given how much of a threat he is to drive I don't see him getting stripped going up as a likely issue. The release point could be on closeouts though. His ability to hit open looks is most critical honestly and the release being improved should help there.

Something clearly happened at ND that won't return 100 pct back to pre ND. That said if it gets him up around or over 35 pct from 3 that will do just fine and I'm assuming that's what GMac has been working with him to do.

Lots to be excited about. Certainly plenty of questions yet to be answered too. Fun year ahead.
Dude it’s a hitch..if you wanna see how to shoot a basketball we can meet up at any park in CNY. I’ll gladly show you what Janesville Dewitt and college ball taught me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom