Program ain't what it used to be | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Program ain't what it used to be

If Bennett loses with this team I don’t know when they will ever make the FF.
They’re definitely not matchup proof but I agree this is a really good team. The team we beat in 2016 had an inside presence (Gill) and Brogdon/Perrantes were studs but they didn’t have a Hunter type

We don’t have a power forward.

Our center has zero offensive moves outside of the occasional lob and an uncontested layup.

Our PG really isn’t a PG, he’s a converted shooting guard that can’t shoot.

I’m amazed that people on this board expect more. This is a significantly limited team that’s been able to scrap out a winning ACC season, which is kind of remarkable.

Kind of remarkable, maybe, but certainly not much fun.

It's hard to believe that we had not one, but two teams in this decade who were true national title contenders.

We’ll see. They lost hunter right before March last year. Obviously he’s a difference maker. Yes they still should have won but it does matter. Them collapsing to us in the elite 8 was highly unpredictable but hardly a flame out.

I’m not saying this is you specifically, but a lot of people here give a lot more benefits of the doubt to TB than they do JB.

When we were winning a ton of games in the regular season but having disappointing finishes people said the tournament is all that matters. To that end, we have as many tournament wins as Virginia since 2014 (7), and I’m not counting our play in game last year.

We’ve been “horrible” the last 5 years, but our horrible is still better than most teams and our horrible has accounted for as many tournament wins as one of the top few regular season programs in the country over the same span.

People want to talk “bad” recruiting—check out the recruits virginia has gotten over the past 5 plus years. The team that beat us by 26 tonight.[/QUOTE
Geez thats shows and proves another problem that this program is facing. Not just id say a lil decline in recruiting, not huge but still a decline and our players are not showing much development and definitely not as much as other teams have.

If Bennett loses with this team I don’t know when they will ever make the FF.
They should make the Elite 8 minimum.
I could see a 2 seed like Tennessee or Michigan beating them in the tournament in a close game.
They have to make the E8 minimum or it’s on Bennett.

They should make the Elite 8 minimum.
I could see a 2 seed like Tennessee or Michigan beating them in the tournament in a close game.
They have to make the E8 minimum or it’s on Bennett.
UVA will get bounced when they run up against a superior athletic team or have a cold shooting night. Book it.

Another home court loss. Another home court drubbing. I didn't expect to win this game. But the 2nd half drubbing was embarrassing. Yes they shot the lights out. But when defenders give you so many open shots you should make most of them. Good teams defend their home court. We are not even competitive with UNC and Virginia. And it isn't just this season. Looks like a 7th or 8th place finish in the conference. Middle of the pack again. Let's hope we can win a game or 2 in the NCAAT against teams who have never played against our zone so we can "confuse" them.

can we go 1 loss vs a top 5 team without a post like this?

I’m not saying this is you specifically, but a lot of people here give a lot more benefits of the doubt to TB than they do JB.

When we were winning a ton of games in the regular season but having disappointing finishes people said the tournament is all that matters. To that end, we have as many tournament wins as Virginia since 2014 (7), and I’m not counting our play in game last year.

We’ve been “horrible” the last 5 years, but our horrible is still better than most teams and our horrible has accounted for as many tournament wins as one of the top few regular season programs in the country over the same span.
So how do we define our overall performance? Our tournament record is pretty decent this decade but our regular season records leave much to be desired. The overall look of the teams and the style of play has become less appealing as well. To me we should not be finishing behind NCSU, FSU, & Vtech. We should be within the top 5 or 6 of the ACC every year.

So how do we define our overall performance? Our tournament record is pretty decent this decade but our regular season records leave much to be desired. The overall look of the teams and the style of play has become less appealing as well. To me we should not be finishing behind NCSU, FSU, & Vtech. We should be within the top 5 or 6 of the ACC every year.

Agreed. We should be a top 5 ACC team and should expect the Sweet 16.

Yeah, I never said that. Simple math suggests the more often you have good regular season teams and higher seeds, the more chances you have to lose to inferior teams in the tournament. Hell, SU was losing to a 16 seed in 2012 at half time.

And I get your point about "horrible". It's relative to the program's expectations and history, obviously. What you said is true about postseason vs regular season success. In the relative short term, we've done better. Over the long term, the odds of having successful postseasons is probably much more correlated to successful regular seasons. The r^2 is not equal to 1- nothing is perfect here, especially when the tournament is a bunch of single games- but it's historically a good indicator/correlation.

Lol I know it's so funny every year how we win a couple games in the NCAAT and everyone puts all there worries to rest. We should be top 3-4 every year in the ACC and sweet 16 every year what has happened

Such a shame for you that somebody owes you this and yet still, it is not delivered.

Anyone that doesn’t want Wildhack to throw everything and the kitchen sink at Tony Bennett is crazy

He's clearly the best coach in America over the past 6 years or so, but two points:
1. That loss against a 16 last year would have sent all these geniuses you see posting here into a frenzy of unparalleled proportions. Combine that with Syracuse having vastly more success in the NCAA Tourney in the same 6 years, and people would be calling for his head.
2. What possible motivation would he have to move from UVA to Syracuse. Two roughly peer schools in the same conference, one of which he is an all time hero at and the other would expose him to point #1? They'd have to triple his salary, maybe more. It just wouldn't make sense in any way unless he left for the NBA or something and then came back.

He's clearly the best coach in America over the past 6 years or so, but two points:
1. That loss against a 16 last year would have sent all these geniuses you see posting here into a frenzy of unparalleled proportions. Combine that with Syracuse having vastly more success in the NCAA Tourney in the same 6 years, and people would be calling for his head.
2. What possible motivation would he have to move from UVA to Syracuse. Two roughly peer schools in the same conference, one of which he is an all time hero at and the other would expose him to point #1? They'd have to triple his salary, maybe more. It just wouldn't make sense in any way unless he left for the NBA or something and then came back.
UVA is not a peer school with SU over time

this decade has our best regular season success since the 80's too. 2009-2014 was as good as it gets for Cuse regular seasons.

UVA is not a peer school with SU over time

But what Bennett cares about is the right now. And right now Syracuse is not a peer school with UVA.

But what Bennett cares about is the right now. And right now Syracuse is not a peer school with UVA.
That’s not how it works and how guys like him wind up at UCLA or Indiana...

Virginia has FAR more money than SU anyways 9.5 B to 1.4B

No way he'd come here.

We’ll see. They lost hunter right before March last year. Obviously he’s a difference maker. Yes they still should have won but it does matter. Them collapsing to us in the elite 8 was highly unpredictable but hardly a flame out.

Not to nitpick, but they had Hunter's services in March and during their run through the ACC Tournament title. He got hurt in practice the day after their title I recall. Since a #1 seed had never lost to a #16 to that point in time, his injury was generally ruled insignificant for that first round game against UMBC, but that it could be a factor in UVA's 2nd round game if he were unable to play. Of course, we all stunningly remember what happened to UVA against UMBC, and it was obvious that Hunter being out was a far greater problem for the Cavaliers. It was UVA's first game with out him...and their last.

Virginia has FAR more money than SU anyways 9.5 B to 1.4B

No way he'd come here.

No doubt. Not to mention considerably better academic standing, and in town that is stunning in Charlottesville, along with its campus. Same conference, great facilities and the flagship institution in their state.

It's getting numbing. And the fact that next year doesn't look like it will be better

How many Final Fours does UVA have this decade vs. Syracuse?
If we are going to throw insane money at another coach I go to Mark Few at Gonzaga who has a good relationship with JB and if we threw literally a 10 year 50 million deal would be interesting.

No doubt. Not to mention considerably better academic standing, and in town that is stunning in Charlottesville, along with its campus. Same conference, great facilities and the flagship institution in their state.

Don't forget the Nazis. That's big in Charlottesville.

Not to nitpick, but they had Hunter's services in March and during their run through the ACC Tournament title. He got hurt in practice the day after their title I recall. Since a #1 seed had never lost to a #16 to that point in time, his injury was generally ruled insignificant for that first round game against UMBC, but that it could be a factor in UVA's 2nd round game if he were unable to play. Of course, we all stunningly remember what happened to UVA against UMBC, and it was obvious that Hunter being out was a far greater problem for the Cavaliers. It was UVA's first game with out him...and their last.

I use March to basically mean the ncaat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom