Program ain't what it used to be | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Program ain't what it used to be

Don't forget the Nazis. That's big in Charlottesville.
Charlottesville is a blue college town.
It was a tremendous town to visit.
That tragedy shouldn’t be used against C-Ville.
I don’t see Bennett leaving UVa for anywhere but possibly the NBA down the line.

Don't forget the Nazis. That's big in Charlottesville.

Is it? Or possibly just an isolated incident that could've happened anywhere in the USA? Interesting retort in a poorly failed attempt to throw some shade at them. Similar to when one who doesn't get the long desired job they have aspired for, getting passed over, etc. and then snickers to whomever will listen how unqualified the person who landed it is.

Is it? Or possibly just an isolated incident that could've happened anywhere in the USA? Interesting retort in a poorly failed attempt to throw some shade at them. Similar to when one who doesn't get the long desired job they have aspired for, getting passed over, etc. and then snickers to whomever will listen how unqualified the person who landed it is.

Seriously? You think I'm throwing shade?
Syracuse is not in the South. Virginia is a former slave state, and still has enough crackers in it to hold a G-D Nazi march through the college founded by Thomas Jefferson.

Syracuse, despite its rural poor, was the home to the Underground Railroad and Upstate NY was the home of both the women's rights and the abolitionist movement. Syracuse, despite its economic hardship, is not nearly so racist that something like Charlottesville could happen here.

Programs are not measured in seasons, but decades. And a program's arch is not a straight line, with a few exceptions.

And yet, the SU Basketball program has been one sport's most consistent entities. What is it? 50 straight winning seasons.

That said, there are fluctuations within our incredible range of consistency. The last 2-4 years have been rockier than most we've encountered, with some incredible ups and some low points, too. I mean, we do have two F4s this decade, right? Most fans of the program for more than 5 years get this.

This program will trend up again. It lulled in the mid-to-late 90s. It lulled about 3-4 years after the 2003 National Championship. It will likely nudge back up in Boeheim's final 3 seasons and it will be back after his tenure ends too. And there will invariably be some valleys to weather too. That's the nature of competition.

Last night, Virginia played the best 20 minutes of basketball their program will ever produce against a P5 opponent. But for the last 40-45 years, who would you rather be: Syracuse basketball or Virginia basketball? I know the answer and it's actually quite easy.

As for the future, it's admittedly more of a toss up. Bennett is legit, obviously. They've had a great/sublime 5-6 year run. So, add UVa to the top of the ACC heirarchy, with Duke and UNC? I suppose, yes, for now (I'd like to see Bennett succeed with more than the two waves of players he's ridden: Team Brogdon and Team Guy/Jerome).

But don't sleep on our program either. We're going to be right there. Don't lose perspective in the moment. If you've been a naysayer in the past, you were wrong. And if you are now, you will be mistaken again.

That is the history of Syracuse basketball: High ceiling, high floor!

Last edited:
Seriously? You think I'm throwing shade?
Syracuse is not in the South. Virginia is a former slave state, and still has enough crackers in it to hold a G-D Nazi march through the college founded by Thomas Jefferson.

Syracuse, despite its rural poor, was the home to the Underground Railroad and Upstate NY was the home of both the women's rights and the abolitionist movement. Syracuse, despite its economic hardship, is not nearly so racist that something like Charlottesville could happen here.

Honestly, I haven't any desire/interest to discuss this here, or anywhere in this forum for that matter.

Honestly, I haven't any desire/interest to discuss this here, or anywhere in this forum for that matter.

So then don't respond next time.

Some folks on here will poop on every coach in college basketball as not being as good as Boeheim. I understand that, but there is no perfect candidate and no matter the metric, someone can show that some coach isn't good enough.

I'd bet that Tony Bennett will have more F4s in the next ten years than Boeheim will. And that's the point. Can't move forward by looking into the past.

So then don't respond next time.

Fair enough. However, you're the one who hijacked the thread to a different direction altogether. And, when you continued to carry on in that same direction (and then some) triggered my last response.

Antifa only exists in the minds of Fox News and InfoWars brainwashed audience.

If we are going to throw insane money at another coach I go to Mark Few at Gonzaga who has a good relationship with JB and if we threw literally a 10 year 50 million deal would be interesting.

to me, few is the best coach in america. i like tony bennett a lot. i know the point is to win but i dont love watching virginia's style of play however. id prefer few but few has to be getting up there in years, right?

to me, few is the best coach in america. i like tony bennett a lot. i know the point is to win but i dont love watching virginia's style of play however. id prefer few but few has to be getting up there in years, right?
Few is 56 so I doubt he would leave.

People want to talk “bad” recruiting—check out the recruits virginia has gotten over the past 5 plus years. The team that beat us by 26 tonight.
Exactly...made this exact post in the game thread last night.

Plain and simple..recruiting for the "zone fit" has killed this team. Sanctions and an uncertain head coach(prior to Hop leaving) also didn't help, but our "choice" in player in the current state of basketball(spread out and shoot) is what has set us way back. We can't continue to recruit long athletes, that can't shoot.

Few is 56 so I doubt he would leave.

that's younger than i thought. still 10 plus years from retirement. with that being said, jb is probably here 3 more years so at that point few will be 60.

that's younger than i thought. still 10 plus years from retirement. with that being said, jb is probably here 3 more years so at that point few will be 60.

I'd take 10-12 years or so of Few in a heartbeat after JB!

Then don't use this forum to shade Syracuse especially if you have no ties to the university.

Then don't use this forum to shade Syracuse especially if you have no ties to the university.

Just one of several.

1551817242884.jpeg

I have a nice pair of Otto the Orange dress socks. But thats a decent tie.

If we are going to throw insane money at another coach I go to Mark Few at Gonzaga who has a good relationship with JB and if we threw literally a 10 year 50 million deal would be interesting.
Few loves Spokane doubt he'd ever leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom