Projecting next year's schedule | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Projecting next year's schedule

Has anyone explained why we're playing Liberty? I'm not complaining, I'm just confused. Do we need a game in Appalachia for recruiting? That seems off. Is Babers tight with Turner Gill?
Easy FBS game for us. It's away because of Dome renovations. Apparently they're also paying us well for it, which works out to be a nice perk.

Easy FBS game for us. It's away because of Dome renovations. Apparently they're also paying us well for it, which works out to be a nice perk.
That or some one (Millhouse?) said get Liberty on the schedule NOW when they announced their intention to move up to FBS, and the athletic department complied.

Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest and UNC are all slated to play @ Liberty. Virginia and Virginia Tech multiple times in fact.
As of looking at the "Future Schedules" drop down today, we're scheduled to play Liberty 4 times at home and twice in Lynchburg by 2030.

Last edited:
every week we can stay out of the dome this summer is an xtra week we get on the other end. That assumes that there is work to be done this year that wont need to be done in 2020. we could also be ahead of schedule and have nothing that they can work on this fall by sept

A lot of our fans seem to think that Clemson opens up the season on a Thursday against GT to debut the new ACC network. Any of you guys heard this?
That is one of the rumors. The other is a Ga Tech @ UVa and BC @ Clemson doubleheader because those 4 teams are the only ones that don't have an OOC game scheduled for that weekend. Ga Tech always plays Clemson as its crossover, but UVa doesn't play either of them in 2019 (we get FSU as our "wild card" Atlantic game). If Greensboro doesn't go the doubleheader route, then UVa and BC will have to take one of their byes the first week.

Last edited:
Is that a roller coaster on top of the Dome like at New York New York in Vegas? Wildhack isn’t messing around.
The perfect metaphor for Syracuse football and basketball fortunes.

I wouldn't think it would based on what we have going into next year. I don't know of specific ones but coaching changes always bring about decommitments.
I should have used the sarcasm font as it seems he'll be around a while. However, it would be nice to redirect some potential recruits to the correct shade of orange...

I’m mainly talking about 7 home games and specific to next year playing at a liberty and opening with 2 road games. I’m not saying go schedule Alabama. But that first game should be a cupcake at home. 7 home games.

Liberty at their place is a very big pay day, and not the toughest FBS opponent. I can live with that.

People (as usual) are looking at our non conference schedule with today’s lenses. As if 9-3 Syracuse just now made next year’s schedule.

Not to mention all the AD turnover we’ve gone through.

Schedule is fine. Real question to me is, now that we’ve broken through to the Top 20, and we expect to stay there, is it time to start scheduling more interesting P5 teams again? We’re going to have a few years without one.

We got a 2 for 1 from Liberty.
I doubt the payout is large. It’s as TrueBlue said a game in Virginia where we want to recruit and it’s a game we should win with our talent like Western Michigan this year and we are banking 2 home games down the road.
I believe you are right about everything but the payout. Liberty has been quite willing to part with cash to get name opponents into their stadium. Liberty has a substantial bankroll behind them.

I believe you are right about everything but the payout. Liberty has been quite willing to part with cash to get name opponents into their stadium. Liberty has a substantial bankroll behind them.
I am probably wrong then. Thanks I wasn’t sure we could get the payout as well but if so the series makes even more sense.

Schedule is fine. Real question to me is, now that we’ve broken through to the Top 20, and we expect to stay there, is it time to start scheduling more interesting P5 teams again? We’re going to have a few years without one.

I think we would have been totally ready to play Wisconsin (it's Wisconsin, not Bama) in a couple years with an upperclassman/battle-tested Devito at the helm. But, it is what it is.

I am probably wrong then. Thanks I wasn’t sure we could get the payout as well but if so the series makes even more sense.
I am kicking around making the trip for Liberty, idylic setting, and then driving over to Maryland the next week. Kill two birds with one stone kind of trip.

People (as usual) are looking at our non conference schedule with today’s lenses. As if 9-3 Syracuse just now made next year’s schedule.

Not to mention all the AD turnover we’ve gone through.

It makes sense to get some on the schedule relatively soon. In college football 3-4 years is eternity. If we don't think we'll be good enough to schedule a few of them that far out, we shouldn't ever complain about being respected. It doesn't even have to be every year and it doesn't have to be the Alabama's. Let's try for teams that tend to hang around the 15-20 area of the top 25.

Another weird quirk I came across while researching this post. Wake hosts North Carolina in an out-of-conference game in 2019. North Carolina returns the favor in 2021.

Another weird quirk I came across while researching this post. Wake hosts North Carolina in an out-of-conference game in 2019. North Carolina returns the favor in 2021.
There has been talk of us doing something similar with Miami. I think that was driven largely by Daryl Gross though.

Do not think that would happen now.

I think we would have been totally ready to play Wisconsin (it's Wisconsin, not Bama) in a couple years with an upperclassman/battle-tested Devito at the helm. But, it is what it is.

THEY backed out of that deal, not us.

That said, it was stupid to begin with.
We do NOT need to increase the degree of difficulty of our OOC schedule, period.
Just stack wins. Beating Rutgers counts just as much as beating Wisky.
ONE P5 win.

IF we ever miss the Playoffs because, even though we ran the table or had 1 loss, our OOC schedule was underwhelming, well then - address that hypothetical issue then.
That would be beyond a First World Problem, it's more like a 1% Problem for a program like Cuse.

What is this talk of two bye weeks next year? Scheduling quirk?

What is this talk of two bye weeks next year? Scheduling quirk?
College football season starts the Saturday before Labor Day.
If Labor Day is early like it is the year on September 2nd then their is an extra Saturday from September till the first Saturday in December.
There are 14 weeks in between instead the normal 13 weeks so because of that each team gets an off week.

College football season starts the Saturday before Labor Day.
If Labor Day is early like it is the year on September 2nd then their is an extra Saturday from September till the first Saturday in December.
There are 14 weeks in between instead the normal 13 weeks so because of that each team gets an off week.
Yep - happened in 2013 and 2014 as well.

THEY backed out of that deal, not us.

That said, it was stupid to begin with.
We do NOT need to increase the degree of difficulty of our OOC schedule, period.
Just stack wins. Beating Rutgers counts just as much as beating Wisky.
ONE P5 win.

IF we ever miss the Playoffs because, even though we ran the table or had 1 loss, our OOC schedule was underwhelming, well then - address that hypothetical issue then.
That would be beyond a First World Problem, it's more like a 1% Problem for a program like Cuse.
If we are heading where Dino wants to take us, this can't be our philospohy forever. If we are having sustained success 3-4 years from now we should be playing decent non conference games now and then. It's not just about perception. It's fun. Right now we need the wins for a couple more years. Eventually, our mindset should shift.

If we are heading where Dino wants to take us, this can't be our philospohy forever. If we are having sustained success 3-4 years from now we should be playing decent non conference games now and then. It's not just about perception. It's fun. Right now we need the wins for a couple more years. Eventually, our mindset should shift.

I'll say this once more, slowly.

WE. WILL. NEVER. NOT. NEED. MORE. WINS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom