Projecting next year's schedule | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Projecting next year's schedule

People (as usual) are looking at our non conference schedule with today’s lenses. As if 9-3 Syracuse just now made next year’s schedule.

Not to mention all the AD turnover we’ve gone through.

Schedule is fine. Real question to me is, now that we’ve broken through to the Top 20, and we expect to stay there, is it time to start scheduling more interesting P5 teams again? We’re going to have a few years without one.

Liberty was scheduled last year. SU likes the series but watch people use it against us.

I'll say this once more, slowly.

WE. WILL. NEVER. NOT. NEED. MORE. WINS.
Thanks for slowing it down. I'll say this slowly for you.

IT'S. FUN. WHEN. GOOD. TEAMS. PLAY. IN. THE. NONCONFERENCE.

Liberty was scheduled last year. SU likes the series but watch people use it against us.

Depends what they're going to use it for. As I recall, Liberty will be (or already is) FBS, so we don't have an issue there.

If it costs us a spot in the playoffs, well, that would be kinda funny. I mean talk about something no one could have ever seen coming.

The current situation we find ourselves in is with NC State for the Camping World. And I don't think OOC is one of the factors in that decision.

Let's look at all the OOC FUN with good teams we've had these past few seasons!!

2018 - Notre Dame - L 3-36
2017 - LSU - L 26-35 (yeah, but it was close!!)
2016 - Notre Dame - L 33-50, USF - L 20-45
2015 - LSU - L 24-34 (yeah, but it was close!!), USF - L 24-45
2014 - Notre Dame - L 15-31, Maryland - L 20-34
2013 - Ped St - L 17-23 (yeah, but it was close!!), Northwestern - L 27-48
2012 - BIG FUN!!! Northwestern - L 41-42, USC - L 29-42, Minnesota - L 10-17
Our best team in a DECADE, which should have been Conference Champs and played in a New Years Bowl -
torpedoed by stupid-hard OOC scheduling.

Fun, FUN, FUN!!!!! :rolleyes:

I could quite literally keep going on pretty much forever, but my point is made.
There is ZERO benefit to scheduling losses in the OOC.
Bag the wins, move on, and ideally - go bowling each and every year.
Now THAT IS FUN. :cool:

dome-exterior-taggedinstory-600x338.jpg

I believe the focus during the summer of 2019 is going to be on getting the support system for the new roof in place. I would not expect much work to be done inside the stadium that would require sealing off sections of seating.

That said, you don't want people walking around the Dome while cranes and crews are working with steel up top.
True but I imagine it would be tremendously expensive to shut the cranes down for a few months and then resume the construction in the spring.

Let's look at all the OOC FUN with good teams we've had these past few seasons!!

2018 - Notre Dame - L 3-36
2017 - LSU - L 26-35 (yeah, but it was close!!)
2016 - Notre Dame - L 33-50, USF - L 20-45
2015 - LSU - L 24-34 (yeah, but it was close!!), USF - L 24-45
2014 - Notre Dame - L 15-31, Maryland - L 20-34
2013 - Ped St - L 17-23 (yeah, but it was close!!), Northwestern - L 27-48
2012 - BIG FUN!!! Northwestern - L 41-42, USC - L 29-42, Minnesota - L 10-17
Our best team in a DECADE, which should have been Conference Champs and played in a New Years Bowl -
torpedoed by stupid-hard OOC scheduling.

Fun, FUN, FUN!!!!! :rolleyes:

I could quite literally keep going on pretty much forever, but my point is made.
There is ZERO benefit to scheduling losses in the OOC.
Bag the wins, move on, and ideally - go bowling each and every year.
Now THAT IS FUN. :cool:
Wow, you really are thick. We weren't good then! Do you really expect us to be crappy like we were then. To be clear we weren't that good in 2012, we were ok and this team would beat that one. Let's look at the fun we had when we were good

1991 Florida
1995 UNC
1996 Army (they were 10-2 and ranked that year)
1997 Wisconsin
1998 Michigan

That was when we were good and people still talk about the memories from those games because they were FUN. Did we have some tough losses too? Yeah, it's sports, it happens. We talk about those too. I'm not saying we schedule two big names in one year like when we had Tennessee and Michigan in 98 or even that we do one every year. As I said in a previous post, if you were paying attention, one every other year or every third year AFTER we have had some sustained success would be good. If you can't find the fun in that, I question that you are actually a fan of sports.

We still do a piss poor job of scheduling. If we’re going to act like a top 25 team, start getting 7 home games like the big boys most of the time and don’t play at a Liberty.

Totally agree, we are above a home and home straight up with liberty.

Schedule is fine. Real question to me is, now that we’ve broken through to the Top 20, and we expect to stay there, is it time to start scheduling more interesting P5 teams again? We’re going to have a few years without one.

Doesn't seem like we will. We have Maryland, Rutgers and Purdue on the schedule as our P5 OOC games going out the next several years. We have spots to fill but I imagine those teams will be of the AAC and MAC variety.

Worst comes to worst, if we think we need a legit tough OOC game to bolster a playoff hope, because the ACC is down, we could have our AD wedge us into a made-for-TV kickoff weekend game. Those are scheduled 12-18 months out, and we could kick a FCS/MAC game to the curb to make it happen.

THEY backed out of that deal, not us.

That said, it was stupid to begin with.
We do NOT need to increase the degree of difficulty of our OOC schedule, period.
Just stack wins. Beating Rutgers counts just as much as beating Wisky.
ONE P5 win.

IF we ever miss the Playoffs because, even though we ran the table or had 1 loss, our OOC schedule was underwhelming, well then - address that hypothetical issue then.
That would be beyond a First World Problem, it's more like a 1% Problem for a program like Cuse.

UCF says Hi

UCF says Hi

UCF doesn’t play CLEMSON EVERY YEAR.

Plus FSU (who wont be down like this forever), and a bunch of other P5 bowl teams in their own conference.

Let’s go undefeated, then worry about whether we played “good enough” OOC teams.

Spoiler Alert!! It won’t matter!!
If we win that many games as a P5, we're good to go. Unlike UCF.

UCF doesn’t play CLEMSON EVERY YEAR.

Plus FSU (who wont be down like this forever), and a bunch of other P5 bowl teams in their own conference.

Let’s go undefeated, then worry about whether we played “good enough” OOC teams.

Spoiler Alert!! It won’t matter!!
If we win that many games as a P5, we're good to go. Unlike UCF.

Most team don't go undefeated. Care to look at all the 1 loss teams that wont make it? A big factor in who does make it is OOC.

Would not be as much fun when we lose to said team and that loss takes us out of bowl contention.

In a perfect world, when we have two byes, I would like them to fall like this:

Week 1 Game 1
Week 2 Game 2
Week 3 Game 3
Week 4 Game 4
Week 5 Bye
Week 6 Game 5
Week 7 Game 6
Week 8 Game 7
Week 9 Game 8
Week 10 Bye
Week 10 Game 9
Week 11 Game 10
Week 12 Game 11
Week 13 Game 12

If we have to take a bye in week 3, the second bye would ideally fall during week 9. You don’t play more than 5 weeks in a row. Not ideal but darned close.

In a perfect world, when we have two byes...
If we have to take a bye in week 3, the second bye would ideally fall during week 9. You don’t play more than 5 weeks in a row. Not ideal but darned close.
In 2014 we had a bye during Week 2 and a bye during Week 13. I'll take anything better than that.

In a perfect world, when we have two byes, I would like them to fall like this:

Week 1 Game 1
Week 2 Game 2
Week 3 Game 3
Week 4 Game 4
Week 5 Bye
Week 6 Game 5
Week 7 Game 6
Week 8 Game 7
Week 9 Game 8
Week 10 Bye
Week 10 Game 9
Week 11 Game 10
Week 12 Game 11
Week 13 Game 12

i think all byes will be done by 1st week in november as there should be no byes the last 3 weeks with espn dictating some byes as teams that play on thursday a lot of time get a bye the week before

Would not be as much fun when we lose to said team and that loss takes us out of bowl contention.
Is your expectation that we will be that bad in 3-4 years?

Worrying about a weak ooc schedule is the ultimate 1st world problem

Who cares
Here's the thing for me, I'm not worried about that. One of my favorite things about the early season is the marquee OOC games that are played. Seeing the same conference rivalries every year gets stale. I would love for us to participate in some of that from time to time after we have established consistent success.

For those that are worried about the playoff, we have seen this year that losing one of those isn't devastating, if you take care of business the rest of the season. Michigan was in the drivers seat for the playoff after losing to Notre Dame. They'll still get a New Year's 6 game after losing to Ohio State.

I'm not worried in the least about missing a bowl game as long as Dino is here. 6 wins has to be the absolute floor for us.

Last edited:
A lot of our fans seem to think that Clemson opens up the season on a Thursday against GT to debut the new ACC network. Any of you guys heard this?
So, what are your expectations for Clemson's team in 2019?

So, what are your expectations for Clemson's team in 2019?
Without knowing who leaves early it's hard to say. Going off of right now, I'd say the offense improves from this year and the defense takes a little bit of a step back. A&M and Syracuse will be very close games next year with the potential to lose both.

I'd say 11-1 next year with a loss to Syracuse if I had to put money down today.

it's more fun playing a good nonconference team in a bowl

it's more fun playing a good nonconference team in a bowl
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Regardless, if we lose to Clemson and FSU every year like some fear, we won't ever play in a good bowl. One will go the playoff and the other will play in the good bowl.

There is a lot of pessimism on here about where Dino will have us in 3-4 years.

Is your expectation that we will be that bad in 3-4 years?
Neither bad nor good just that a loss will effect our chances for bowl eligibility, and over time those chances will not be good. Really affects my idea of what would be fun. If we are consistently winning 8*9 games then I would say sure go ahead that would be fun, until then not my idea of what would be fun.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom