Projecting next year's schedule | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Projecting next year's schedule

Without knowing who leaves early it's hard to say. Going off of right now, I'd say the offense improves from this year and the defense takes a little bit of a step back. A&M and Syracuse will be very close games next year with the potential to lose both.

I'd say 11-1 next year with a loss to Syracuse if I had to put money down today.

Okay now you are just being a suck up.

Okay now you are just being a suck up.
Not at all. Lost to you guys last year up there and had to come from behind to win at home this year. I don't think it's too much of a leap to say we lose especially with the defensive losses we'll have.

Not at all. Lost to you guys last year up there and had to come from behind to win at home this year. I don't think it's too much of a leap to say we lose especially with the defensive losses we'll have.

If you had said SU and any other team okay, but you lose to SU and no one else and you are on the SU fan board, really. I do think you are right that we could beat you though. Actually I expect to beat you in the dome.

If you had said SU and any other team okay, but you lose to SU and no one else and you are on the SU fan board, really. I do think you are right that we could beat you though. Actually I expect to beat you in the dome.
Well you have to look at it by schedule. We play A&M at home so that could be a loss but it's a home game so I think we pull it out. FSU is a shell of their former self, NC State loses most of their offense, BC comes to Clemson, GT comes to Clemson. We play at South Carolina but they are a few years away from beating us I think. Find me the other loss. I get that you think I'm placating but I just don't see any other toss ups.

Well you have to look at it by schedule. We play A&M at home so that could be a loss but it's a home game so I think we pull it out. FSU is a shell of their former self, NC State loses most of their offense, BC comes to Clemson, GT comes to Clemson. We play at South Carolina but they are a few years away from beating us I think. Find me the other loss. I get that you think I'm placating but I just don't see any other toss ups.
I get the reasoning and agree it is pretty sound, but its all about appearances when you say you will lose to SU and nobody else on an SU board. All good though suck up or no.

Neither bad nor good just that a loss will effect our chances for bowl eligibility, and over time those chances will not be good. Really affects my idea of what would be fun. If we are consistently winning 8*9 games then I would say sure go ahead that would be fun, until then not my idea of what would be fun.
Did you not see all my disclaimers that I have put in multiple posts?

1. Wait 3-4 years
2. If we have sustained success
3. Don't do it every year.

Why is it that over time you think our chances to win at least 6 games (since bowl eligibility worries you) won't be good? Do you think this year is fools gold?

I get the reasoning and agree it is pretty sound, but its all about appearances when you say you will lose to SU and nobody else on an SU board. All good though suck up or no.
Not sure what I have to gain by sucking up on this board but whatever. Agree to disagree.

Did you not see all my disclaimers that I have put in multiple posts?

1. Wait 3-4 years
2. If we have sustained success
3. Don't do it every year.

Why is it that over time you think our chances to win at least 6 games (since bowl eligibility worries you) won't be good? Do you think this year is fools gold?

1) One year does not consistency make
2) Recent history
3) Fun is in the eye of the beholder
4) Rather make a bowl for extra practices than play in any ooc game
5) Rather make a bowl for recruiting than play in any ooc game
6) talk to me again when we consistently get to those 6 wins most years
7) we are not there yet
8) conference is difficult enough without adding to it at this point or maybe ever

Not sure what I have to gain by sucking up on this board but whatever. Agree to disagree.

It was supposed to be a jest but I guess not.

Reactions: gbo
1) One year does not consistency make
2) Recent history
3) Fun is in the eye of the beholder
4) Rather make a bowl for extra practices than play in any ooc game
5) Rather make a bowl for recruiting than play in any ooc game
6) talk to me again when we consistently get to those 6 wins most years
7) we are not there yet
8) conference is difficult enough without adding to it at this point or maybe ever
That is why I said wait until we've had 3-4 years of sustained success. I said it in numerous posts. Did you completely ignore it in the post you responded to? Nowhere have I said it should be next year or even the the year after. Holy crap, are people illiterate?

If in another 3-4 years one game is the difference between making a bowl and getting the extra practices on a regular basis, Dino has failed. I don't believe that will be the case.

Fun is in the eye of the beholder. I'll agree with you there. I had lots of fun when we beat good teams from other conferences when we were good, way more than beating scrubs, even though those are fun too. I expect that to be in our future. I'm sad that so many people think we can't do that again. So much for belief without evidence... even though the evidence is beginning to present itself.

Last edited:
I just want to get to the point where Syracuse is helping the reputation of the conference, scoring some important wins out of conference and holding our own in the conference.

Hoping that starts with the Camping World Bowl on December 28th.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. Warm weather outdoor game (I'm hoping it's a Friday night) in a small stadium is always fun.

635647070855081907-CXX-FOOTBALL-20-66585160.JPG
I looked it up and they averaged close to 20K at home. Should be fun. Great recruiting trip.

Without knowing who leaves early it's hard to say. Going off of right now, I'd say the offense improves from this year and the defense takes a little bit of a step back. A&M and Syracuse will be very close games next year with the potential to lose both.

I'd say 11-1 next year with a loss to Syracuse if I had to put money down today.

Agree on us but why are you giving A+M that kind of credit when it will be at your place. You guys were 1 or 2 plays away from blowing them out and busting it open on the road and they only played well late in the 4th after the game was decided.

SC on the road is the far tougher game but their season might be over at that point and could be a good time to play them. Would be way better for your resume to see them in September. They'll have a preseason number with Bentley back.

Woof @ UNC is your crossover that isn't going to help if you are trying to make the playoffs with 1 loss. I think it will be a while before you drop one to GT again at least until Johnson has left even though they own the all time series with you guys by a lot. Never playing VT or Miami isn't a good thing for yall.

I don't know who he is but I am assuming someone decent replaces Finley they always have a solid QB. Those will be tough road trips for both of us neither fanbase should chalk that one up as a W.

Agree on us but why are you giving A+M that kind of credit when it will be at your place. You guys were 1 or 2 plays away from blowing them out and busting it open on the road and they only played well late in the 4th after the game was decided.

SC on the road is the far tougher game but their season might be over at that point and could be a good time to play them. Would be way better for your resume to see them in September. They'll have a preseason number with Bentley back.

Woof @ UNC is your crossover that isn't going to help if you are trying to make the playoffs with 1 loss. I think it will be a while before you drop one to GT again at least until Johnson has left even though they own the all time series with you guys by a lot. Never playing VT or Miami isn't a good thing for yall.

I don't know who he is but I am assuming someone decent replaces Finley they always have a solid QB. Those will be tough road trips for both of us neither fanbase should chalk that one up as a W.
I guess I'm basing the A&M game off of what happened this year and the fact Mond returns. You're probably right though.

That is why I said wait until we've had 3-4 years of sustained success. I said it in numerous posts. Did you completely ignore it in the post you responded to? Nowhere have I said it should be next year or even the the year after. Holy crap, are people illiterate?

If in another 3-4 years one game is the difference between making a bowl and getting the extra practices on a regular basis, Dino has failed. I don't believe that will be the case.

Fun is in the eye of the beholder. I'll agree with you there. I had lots of fun when we beat good teams from other conferences when we were good, way more than beating scrubs, even though those are fun too. I expect that to be in our future. I'm sad that so many people think we can't do that again. So much for belief without evidence... even though the evidence is beginning to present itself.

History says otherwise, SU has gone through a boom and bust cycle many times, hope you are right and this is the start of a boom, but I need more proof ro buy in that we are. We are in a much more competitive conference now and we will need all the wins we can muster. A stinking out of conference game we lose is not my idea of fun. We will just have to disagree on scheduling those tough ooc opponents .

People (as usual) are looking at our non conference schedule with today’s lenses. As if 9-3 Syracuse just now made next year’s schedule.

Not to mention all the AD turnover we’ve gone through.

Schedule is fine. Real question to me is, now that we’ve broken through to the Top 20, and we expect to stay there, is it time to start scheduling more interesting P5 teams again? We’re going to have a few years without one.
Why would we schedule P5 teams, the entirety of the SEC doesn't even do that.

History says otherwise, SU has gone through a boom and bust cycle many times, hope you are right and this is the start of a boom, but I need more proof ro buy in that we are. We are in a much more competitive conference now and we will need all the wins we can muster. A stinking out of conference game we lose is not my idea of fun. We will just have to disagree on scheduling those tough ooc opponents .
The conference now is similar to the Big East prior to the first ACC raid.

I'm sorry you think a game against a team in the bottom half of the top 25 will always be a guaranteed loss.

Last edited:
I really think you're ignoring what I type. I NEED MORE PROOF TOO! THAT IS WHY I SAID WAIT 3-4 YEARS TO SEE IF WE HAVE SUSTAINED SUCCESS! Then, if we have had sustained success at a level greater than this year, meaning we are throttling lower level teams, we aren't squeaking out overtime wins over bad teams, we are consistently battling the best in the conference while winning our share, and we are consistently winning 8+, we schedule a decent, NOT AN ELITE, OOC opponent. And we don't do it annually.

Why do you think it has to be a loss? If Dino continues to upgrade recruiting as he has steadily been doing there is no reason to think that in another 3-4 years we shouldn't also see more and greater success.

Why would we schedule P5 teams, the entirety of the SEC doesn't even do that.
That's not true.

LSU played Miami this year. Nobody anticipated Miami would be bad given they were ranked 8th at the time.

Auburn played Washington who was 6th at the time.

Tennessee played West Virginia.

Florida plays FSU every year, which is usually elite.

Alabama frequently plays a high level early season game. Nobody thought Louisville would be this bad when that game was scheduled. Last year FSU was ranked 3rd when they played them. In 2016 they played USC. 2015 Wisconsin. Etc.

South Carolina plays Clemson every year and last year they played NC State too.

Texas A&M played Clemson and I think they have them again next year.

Miss St. played Kansas St.

Ole Miss played Texas Tech

Georgia plays Georgia Tech every year and also played Notre Dame last year.

Good teams often play other good teams, including the SEC. We are not there yet, but, in a few years, if Dino gets his cake baked the way he wants, we should join them from time to time.

Notre Dame at Louisville might get moved off ESPN on Labor Day in favor of ACC Network as well.
I hope they move it to Wednesday then.

I miss...”ESPN Presents: Wednesday Night Football Starring the Louisville Cardinals”.

I hope they move it to Wednesday then.

I miss...”ESPN Presents: Wednesday Night Football Starring the Louisville Cardinals”.
They will move it to ACCN so that cable providers will make it available and more coverage nationwide which will make the ACC network more money.

They will move it to ACCN so that cable providers will make it available and more coverage nationwide which will make the ACC network more money.
Exactly.

And putting it on a Wednesday means it avoids going head to head with the NFL (even Pre-Season will draw eyeballs) or get buried on a saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom