Purdue Post Game Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Purdue Post Game Thread

Hey Matt, the next time a guy at the top of Section 130 calls over to say hi to you as you are walking up the stairs, don’t look at him and keep walking!

Oh, that was you, Dick! So sorry. I turned and looked, but I had no idea. (I was also pretty deaf from the noise by then ...). Will you be back for either NC State or Notre Dame? I'm going to bring my daughter to the Fine Mess for NC State.

We kicked from their 35. If we had kicked it out of bounds, it would be placed 30 yards from where we kicked, at their 5. So shouldn’t we have tried to kick it out of bounds somewhere between the goal line and the 20 yard line. That way its placed wherever it goes out of bounds or at best the 5 yard line, rather than letting them have it at their own 25. Seems we gave them some free yards.

There are three choices. 5 yard penalty and rekick, 5 yards from where the ball went out of bounds or 30 yards in advance of the kickoff spot.

Because most kicks are from the 35, that places them at the other 35. But they are not automatically placed there. If the kickoff happens to be from the kicker’s 20 or from the 50 because of a foul previously, then the 30 yards from the kickoff spot may or may not be the best option.

I didn’t think he was biased for either team, other than he just loved Jones.

I thought it was annoying how he screamed everything with way too much excitement like he was a PA announcer, all game long. Gotta pick your spots.
Well, Jones was freaking great. He subtly pushed off on our DB to get separation on that long touchdown.

I think they did the right thing. Less chance of something screwy happening.
Same. I also can’t imagine they practice a Squibb (or any kicks) from that spot. What are the odds of two calls in that precise situation? I was fine with booting through net (though a smart fan near me suggested a Squibb too).

The 5 yard and re-kick. Son of a bitch.

Anyone else think they should have squibbed that last kick off? Didn’t matter in the end but a chance to take some time off the clock and get better field position.
Me. I was petrified of a 6 second back shoulder throw to Jones and a 55 yard FG attempt.

Squib it and make it a 75 yard Hail Mary.

He “big leagued” you!!!

No, I was just wiped out, and didn't know who Dick was. Sometimes in a crowd, you're not sure if you're hearing your name called or not. I had a guy a row behind me this afternoon who was also named Matt. I turned 2 or 3 times to see if it was someone I knew.

We kicked from their 35. If we had kicked it out of bounds, it would be placed 30 yards from where we kicked, at their 5. So shouldn’t we have tried to kick it out of bounds somewhere between the goal line and the 20 yard line. That way its placed wherever it goes out of bounds or at best the 5 yard line, rather than letting them have it at their own 25. Seems we gave them some free yards.
I am not sure that's the rule.

Oh, that was you, Dick! So sorry. I turned and looked, but I had no idea. (I was also pretty deaf from the noise by then ...). Will you be back for either NC State or Notre Dame? I'm going to bring my daughter to the Fine Mess for NC State.
LOL no problem. My niece asked who I was calling to and I told her it was someone I had “known” for 30 years. I won’t be back this year but good to see you even though we didn’t have a chance to speak. I think all board members should have their names on the back of a jersey like you do to make it easier to identify them!

I’d say we were outplayed for the most part, but still found a way to win. Discipline is a part of being good and from what I saw Purdue absolutely doesn’t have it
And neither do we!

I agree that playing a soft zone and not bringing the blitz let AOC carve us up. I think he only missed 2 passes in the first half.

But they did tighten the coverage at the corner, and they started bringing more pressure. O'Connell only went 2-8 to start the second half. So I thought the defense made good half-time adjustments.

Tucker isn't quite healthy. His thigh is still bothering him. He just doesn't have that explosiveness right now. He needs time on the treatment table. I'd like to see that New Mexico transfer, not the young frosh from NJ. Somebody a little more mature to take some pressure off of Tucker, maybe be able to give him a breather and be fresher.

That limited our ground game a lot. They pretty much stuffed Tucker, except for that one run in the first half where he got about 12 or 13 yards. Purdue's D Line was quite good, too. Credit where credit is due. We were not opening a lot of holes for Tucker.

I thought the play calling was too conservative in the first half, but the defense kept us in it. Shrader did come back down to earth a bit, too. He's not going to hit 80% all season long.

What I thought was so impressive was the sheer number of times he made the play, the run, the throw - a lot of the time all by himself. He was a monster out there, despite the poor game statistically.
IDK. Tucker looked fast enough on that wheel route Shrader missed. Purdue defense was tough.

Last edited:
I had a reading of 114db early into the 4th but I sort of stopped paying attention after that. I’ll do better Friday
So what you are saying, is we were prolly much louder than The Swamp, later in the 4th... Your reading is still top 10, all time. Lets get louder!!!! And use the Max function, so you can just watch the game)

Can I also get a pic/vid of “drunk haze” ‘Cuse fan that they highlighted on the broadcast coming back from a commercial. It was vintage “when White Claw goes wrong”
You taking about the guy who was sleeping going into the 4th quarter?

That had classic “I used to day drink 30 years ago but can’t hang anymore” written all over it.

Last edited:
I watched most of the game, then had to leave for my son's hockey game. Heard the final call on radio. Came home, watched the rest on DVR. Watched every minute of the celebration/alma mater. Watched all the press conferences, and then just watched the condensed game on YouTube.

3-0 and beating the Big 10 is rare, so I don't want to get cheated in enjoying every moment of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom