Purdue writer: "Never been in louder venue in my life." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Purdue writer: "Never been in louder venue in my life."

Loudest I can remember the Dome, even louder than VTech 98 etc was Dan Conley's interception early in the game against #1 Miami in (?)'92. My brother and Dad were screaming at me and all I saw was their mouth moving. It was ear ringing hurt your ears loud.

VT in 2000 when we sacked Vick 8 times and hit two long bombs for TDs.

3rd downs when the place is already rocking before the play, finishing with a sack or a pick often seem louder than big offensive plays to me. It’s the anticipation of a big play while it’s already loud that does it IMO.

Back in the 90s, the place used to get deafening when we blocked a punt….because everybody would already be up and going nuts anticipating that we were coming after it and had a great chance at getting it.

1973 at Manley when SU upset St John’s and you couldn’t even hear anyone screaming when we built a 20 point early lead. You could only hear a ringing in your ears. None of these others even compare.

Need 45K Friday night to test it out.

And if we win and get to 5-0 for NCSU, please make it a night game. And please pack the place.

Speaking of which, that 2011 Friday night West Virginia game has to be one of the louder games of the last 15 years. Maybe the loudest?

All this really pts to where in the dome is it loudest now.. It would be great down on the field but it may well be someplace in the stands who knows.. you need multiple pts of reference and a decent crowd to test it out. if nothing else you would think with all the references to how loud it is you would get an ESPN crew to bring a meter in.. You see it at other venues being done.

I was there - WE WERE BACK was uttered afterwards, amidst shots of Jaeger at Harry’s. We then proceeded to lose every game after. We were not back.
That was the most deflating end to a season… so much promise.

Thumping of WV to get to 5-2 followed by 5 straight L’s… and outside of UConn, none of them were really all that tight either.

Whelp, the year after worked out fine!

1973 at Manley when SU upset St John’s and you couldn’t even hear anyone screaming when we built a 20 point early lead. You could only hear a ringing in your ears. None of these others even compare.
I believe that was the game that a frustrated Mike Lee kicked the ball up into the crowd, a ball boy calmly rolled another ball back onto the court, the refs miraculously swallowed their whistle, and Louie C went nuts.

Later, as SU was bringing the ball up, Louie scampered onto the court and moved his guys around like chess pieces before scampering off again. Again, no whistle. I was probably screaming for a T but in hindsight it was hilarious.

BTW great to see you again Rick this past Saturday. You thought the last time was in the backcourt of the Dome during our AOL days. I do remember that, but I think we also saw each other at a board event that Joyce put on at the Sheraton maybe 20 years ago. Anyway, it has been too long.

Last edited:
I believe that was the game that a frustrated Mike Lee kicked the ball up into the crowd, a ball boy calmly rolled another ball back onto the court, the refs miraculously swallowed their whistle, and Louie C went nuts.

Later, as SU was bringing the ball up, Louie scampered onto the court and moved his guys around like chess pieces before scampering off again. Again, no whistle. I was probably screaming for a T but in hindsight it was hilarious.
Yes! Wow. St. John’s coach was pissed.

Mulzoff was quite upset at the end Saying, “The officals didn't have the guts to call a technical on me when. I was on the floor.”

Last edited:
Yes! Wow. St. John’s coached was pissed.

Mulzoff was quite upset at the end Saying, “The officals didn't have the guts to call a technical on me when. I was on the floor.”

I thought it was Louie coaching at the time, so my mistake. He was really pissed though. The time that Louie moved his guys around must have been at a different game. The Mike Lee kick was a great memory and a great bit of SU hoops lore.

I don't think SU wants studies to be performed. There are liability issues which could arise from well documented studies. Don't forget, there are hundreds of employees in the Dome for many games. Plus, tens of thousands of visitors.

SU would not want anything showing sound levels at two jets, or more, taking off. See the following link from the CDC, there is a chart with noise levels.

Note that the average noise of a sporting event is 100 dB. Decibels are logarithmic, for each increase of 3 dB, the sound level is approximately doubled. For every 10 dB, the sound level is increased 10 fold. Based on readings provided by one poster, we have had readings in excess of 120 dB, or 100X louder than the average sporting event. (100 dB + 10 dB + 10 dB = 120 dB or 100 X 10 X 10).

Anyway, from what others say, SU used to measure the noise and has since stopped. I believe it was a wise decision to do so. I believe those who believe the noise levels to be in excess of the 120 dB+ they have measured on their own devices.
When fans buy a ticket online, make them sign an agreement that they won't sue for any damage caused by any excessive noise in the Dome.

Legally it would be pretty much BS, but it would create great PR, and be a great recruiting tool.

"It's true son, we make the fans sign a waiver like that. Come and be a part of that. Sign your Letter of Intent right here!"

BTW great to see you again Rick this past Saturday. You thought the last time was in the backcourt of the Dome during our AOL days. I do remember that, but I think we also saw each other at a board event that Joyce put on at the Sheraton maybe 20 years ago. Anyway, it has been too long.

You are correct Dick. That was the game Mike kicked the ball into the stands. You’re also correct that we saw each other at Joyce’s gathering. I had forgotten about that.

When fans buy a ticket online, make them sign an agreement that they won't sue for any damage caused by any excessive noise in the Dome.

Legally it would be pretty much BS, but it would create great PR, and be a great recruiting tool.

"It's true son, we make the fans sign a waiver like that. Come and be a part of that. Sign your Letter of Intent right here!"
Yup. Any waiver when it comes to entertainment creates demand. Artificial or not.

Lol. Could be marketing brilliance actually

Yup. Any waiver when it comes to entertainment creates demand. Artificial or not.

Lol. Could be marketing brilliance actually
We could even hand out the little foam earplugs to anyone who wants them.

Or have a phony vendor walk up and down the aisles selling them. Orange ones. Tape it. A great clip for ESPN to show, or include in a recruiting video.

"Eeeeeeear plugs!!! Get your life-saving ear plugs right here!!! Eeeeeeear plugs!!!!"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom