Class of 2014 - QB AJ Long | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 QB AJ Long

Long is on the ESPN watch list for the class of 2014, effectively their top 300 for the class. He's our biggest recruit pretty much ever at this time of year in the recruiting cycle. I don't know if Marrone's staff gets most of the credit or not here, but big big get especially at QB.
If it was Marrone we would have been in Long's top 3 until whatever All-American game he played in and then he would choose someone else and wish us well.

This staff closed the deal. They get the credit. Especially this early in the 2014 cycle.

If it was Marrone we would have been in Long's top 3 until whatever All-American game he played in and then he would choose someone else and wish us well.

This staff closed the deal. They get the credit. Especially this early in the 2014 cycle.
Bnoro, that reply was hard-nosed, and very true.

Why on Earth would I give Marrone any sort of credit for this commitment? And this is coming from one of the few Marrone supporters around here and wishes him well and thanks him for what he did. That said, in no way am I giving him an ounch of credit for AJ Long committing.
Perhaps because Marrone & Hackett set the foundation and relationship with Long over the past two yrs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Gocraz4dasu is correct. According to the rules of recruiting credit as arbitrated by our board's most wise recruiting credit arbiter, publicly known commitments matter and who stands as head coach at the time of said commitment matters.

Thus, Gocraz4dasu is correct in assigning the credit for Long's commitment to Shafer and not Marrone given that a) Long's commitment is public and b) Shafer is the HC at the time of said commitment.

To review this topic, please see http://syracusefan.com/threads/in-order-to-avoid-future-conflicts-on-this-board.43803/#post-521828

LOL! So what, Marrone had recruited him. Awesome. That doesn't mean I'm giving him credit for AJ committing here. Augustus Edwards had friends who were here, that didn't make him commit. A complete turnover in the staff doesn't exactly speak to the fact he might of possibly had stayed in contact with too many coaches. Just because he liked Marrone, doesn't mean I'm giving him credit for committing to a school that is now run by Shafer to play on an offense lead by a coach who was not here during any of Marrone's tenure. I don't get how him being friends with Jarrodd West means that I should give Marrone credit for it. I'm pretty sure Marrone wasn't like, Yeah we are going to get this kid to commit in hopes that 3 years down the line, we can reel in this quarterback. I'll be sure to buy a beer for Jarrod if I ever meet him in a bar that the convenience occurred, but I won't be praising Marrone for it.

I'm not taking shots at Marrone, just don't see any reason why I should give credit to Marrone because they were in contact while he was here.

If Gus Edwards is your shining example then Wayne Williams is mine. Not every kid commits or stays committed solely because of the staff that he committed to. If you want to continue to over generalize then that's your prerogative.

Obviously Shafer and his staff sealed the deal here, but ignoring the ground work that Marrone and his staff did is just silly.

And you're basing that the exactly zero times that happened during Marrone's tenure?

This staff closed the deal, no doubt, but ignoring the groundwork laid by Marrone's staff again is silly.

Gocraz4dasu is correct. According to the rules of recruiting credit as arbitrated by our board's most wise recruiting credit arbiter, publicly known commitments matter and who stands as head coach at the time of said commitment matters.

Thus, Gocraz4dasu is correct in assigning the credit for Long's commitment to Shafer and not Marrone given that a) Long's commitment is public and b) Shafer is the HC at the time of said commitment.

To review this topic, please see http://syracusefan.com/threads/in-order-to-avoid-future-conflicts-on-this-board.43803/#post-521828

The Recruiting Credit Arbiter - OttoinGrotto has spoken and given his ruling on who receives credit for the long commitment. There is no appeal process.

I think the title "Recruiting Credit Arbiter" henceforth should always be capitalized based on the importance of the position.

Uh I don't know genius. Maybe because he's been recruited by SU since he was a sophomore and had visited twice already before this last one.

But you're right. I'm sure the fact that he's been exposed to the program, visited twice already under the old regime and is good friends with a player that Marrone's staff recruited had absolutely nothing to do with his recruitment.

And FYI, if every recruit committed to a school solely because of the coaching personnel currently there, then we would have had 11 decommits last class, not 4. The 4 early enrollees really couldn't decommit but they could have decided to transfer if the staff was the only reason they committed. And every recruit with the exception of maybe Burton had other options.

Was Zach Allen aware of this?

great looking prospect with numerous offers from good football schools. Coach Shafer and staff deserve credit foe getting 2014 class off to a great start. Good arm strength and soft touch when necessary.

great looking prospect with numerous offers from good football schools. Coach Shafer and staff deserve credit foe getting 2014 class off to a great start. Good arm strength and soft touch when necessary.
What I'm seeing from this staff is that they are taking more chances on big fish like Eddie O does. If you get just one bite it can lead to a chain reaction and be a formula for success.

And you're basing that the exactly zero times that happened during Marrone's tenure?

This staff closed the deal, no doubt, but ignoring the groundwork laid by Marrone's staff again is silly.
Ogundeko? Ishaq? Trey Millard? The list goes on...

The fact that Rich Rodriquez and his Arizona Wildcats offered AJ Long this early to play QB for them should make it clear how good AJ might be.

The petty bickering happening in this thread is hilarious.

The former staff had been recruiting AJ Long for several years. The new staff continued to recruit him, kept him interested and has closed the deal - albeit in March. Lets move on. And according to Otto's rules #hardnosed shall get credit

Jarrod West was a big assist for us on this one as they are friends. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Kinder took his diploma after next year and gave us another scholie at QB

There is a 4 star WR at Jarrod West's high school this year in Bethlehem, PA. KJ Williams 6-2 190. I'm not sure we've offered yet but I think we're interested. Kid has between 5-10 offers right now from Pitt, Rutgers, Michigan, Uconn and others.

This is the type of kid we should be all over - 200 miles from campus.

There is a 4 star WR at Jarrod West's high school this year in Bethlehem, PA. KJ Williams 6-2 190. I'm not sure we've offered yet but I think we're interested. Kid has between 5-10 offers right now from Pitt, Rutgers, Michigan, Uconn and others.

This is the type of kid we should be all over - 200 miles from campus.
Yep. We haven't offered but I believe we will soon. I'd hope he's familiar with Long too, that might help us. Williams said he is interested in visiting as well.

Ogundeko? Ishaq? Trey Millard? The list goes on...
Yeah, I'd say Marrone did an adequate job recruiting, but he had his share of misses on guys.

Yeah, I'd say Marrone did an adequate job recruiting, but he had his share of misses on guys.
agree - he seemed to be a solid recruiter, but the staff overall seemed to really lack a closer - even Wheatley for as good of a recruiter as I believe he was seemed to have a lot of trouble closing after garnering serious interest from kids - not sure if that was a function of Marrone's style, facilities, add favorite perceived reason here

should i have added quotes? ;)

But think of it this way. If Loeb wins the job, are we going to start two 5th year seniors in a row (Loeb, possibly Kinder)? Very doubtful, doesn't allow continuity. If Hunt wins the job, then he's here for 3 years. No need for Kinder.

Unless Kinder wins the job I don't see him staying an extra year.
Big question marks for this year at QB for sure. But congrats to the SS team. How does it feel to grab a top 150 kid right out of the gate! been a long, long, long, long time...all I can say about all this bickering is one thing, I am excited over what SS has done in so short a time!

Maybe, just maybe Coach M was concentrating on the next level just a little bit, do ya think!

Maybe, just maybe Coach M was concentrating on the next level just a little bit, do ya think!
I don't know why he would do that. The man had his dream job.

I don't know why he would do that. The man had his dream job.
At this point Coach M is ancient history lie those obscure dates I hated to memorize in history taught by idiots.:confused:

agree - he seemed to be a solid recruiter, but the staff overall seemed to really lack a closer - even Wheatley for as good of a recruiter as I believe he was seemed to have a lot of trouble closing after garnering serious interest from kids - not sure if that was a function of Marrone's style, facilities, add favorite perceived reason here
I think that Doug did a good job recruiting. He has rebuilt the team with solid depth and talent across the board. Dougs focus was on kids that could play multiple positions had the frame to grow and had speed. All in all i think he did very well. I believe that Scott and crew will take things to the next level. I think that first of all they are starting off at a higher level than Doug. Second they are coming off a bowl win. Third they are in the ACC. Fourth we have announced the IPF. Fifth the staff seems a little more youthful which i believe will resonate with recruits. I truly believe we are entering a new and exciting ERA of Syracuse football and will not be surprised to see us consistantly in the top 50 recruiting classes and in the top 40 or better in rankings.

The petty bickering happening in this thread is hilarious.

The former staff had been recruiting AJ Long for several years. The new staff continued to recruit him, kept him interested and has closed the deal - albeit in March. Lets move on. And according to Otto's rules #hardnosed shall get credit

Do we even know if the old recruiting coach for him left the team? I know Adkins had a lot of contacts in Tennessee, but nothing really came from it while he was here.

With that being said, I do have a lot more confidence in McDonald/Shafer as a closer then Hackett/Marrone.