Class of 2024 - QB Andy Bass (OK) Verbal to Oklahoma | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 QB Andy Bass (OK) Verbal to Oklahoma

Has he visited Kansas State's campus? This kid is an intriguing prospect. You could line him up in a number of different spots on offense, which would require defensive attention.

Tried telling everybody the other day, but if you say anything that’s not pro Syracuse you get ratioed by someone being overly positive about the situation even when they’re completely wrong lol.

This doesn't sound good for SU's chances. Last week he's booking a trip to the SU-Clemson game, with the idea that the visit will help him make his decision. Then he visits OU, and 3 days later is making his announcement. Seems to me that OU offered him a scholarship, with a "you have 3 days to accept or we are offering it to someone else." Notice Zurbrugg committed to OU right away.

It's a high pressure sales tactic. Typical Brent Venables / OU move. Hope I'm wrong.

This doesn't sound good for SU's chances. Last week he's booking a trip to the SU-Clemson game, with the idea that the visit will help him make his decision. Then he visits OU, and 3 days later is making his announcement. Seems to me that OU offered him a scholarship, with a "you have 3 days to accept or we are offering it to someone else." Notice Zurbrugg committed to OU right away.

It's a high pressure sales tactic. Typical Brent Venables / OU move. Hope I'm wrong.
It is very reasonable to believe that theory. But, even if he commits to OU, it is VERY likely that he will reopen his recruitment at some point, considering that method of pressure recruiting. When kids have a chance to see the offense that Venables is churning out at OU compared to what Beck is about to unleash on the ACC here at SU...these types of players will be knocking down our door trying to be a part of it.

Gotta be between OU and SU, right?

I think we land this fish
From OU Rivals re: Oklahoma’s offer - “As far scholarship and school being paid for, my whole school will get paid for through NIL. So I wouldn’t have to worry about that. It’s basically a scholarship without the label…” the OU offer is a PWO, same as Kansas St.

In my opinion, he’s picking Oklahoma tomorrow since he just visited last weekend.

At least one crystal ball changed recently from Syracuse to Oklahoma. That forecast was from an Oklahoma insider.

Hoping for the best here but I would be prepared to be disappointed.

From OU Rivals re: Oklahoma’s offer - “As far scholarship and school being paid for, my whole school will get paid for through NIL. So I wouldn’t have to worry about that. It’s basically a scholarship without the label…” the OU offer is a PWO, same as Kansas St.

In my opinion, he’s picking Oklahoma tomorrow since he just visited last weekend.
So they will skirt around scholarship limits through NIL to pay these types of players enough to cover their expenses to essentially give them a schollie without officially using a schollie.

I know it happens and has happened before, especially in other sports, but that's going to be a killer for the programs who do a good job finding diamonds in the rough and developing them.

Wild times. What a wild thing to bank on, hoping the NIL stays true as agreed upon. I personally would pick the school that gave me the real deal scholly. No BS.

So they will skirt around scholarship limits through NIL to pay these types of players enough to cover their expenses to essentially give them a schollie without officially using a schollie.

I know it happens and has happened before, especially in other sports, but that's going to be a killer for the programs who do a good job finding diamonds in the rough and developing them.

This is such BS.

I’m also sure he’s not realizing that, let’s say OU pays him $50k to cover room & board, that he’s gonna owe tax on that $50k, so now it’s more like $40k.

And there’s zero guarantee of renewal of NIL, or even that they will follow thru, in case he’s not impactful, or gets injured, or whatever.

Good luck, kid.
Choose wisely.

Wait a second, the school is arranging NIL to cover his cost of attendance?

What - how isn’t that a violation of the scholarship limit?

Yep. Like I said earlier, if he wanted here he would have already committed. No reason to wait and monkey around with PWO offers.

I don't get why many on here are enamored by Bass coming to SU. We already have a much better QB committed and also have a pretty good stable of QBs on-campus. He is already being projected as an ATH which means he really doesn't have a position. Sounds like SU is the only one of the three to offer a scholly and I just don't see the value. I've seen his vids and wasn't that impressed that I would be upset of he went elsewhere.

I don't get why many on here are enamored by Bass coming to SU. We already have a much better QB committed and also have a pretty good stable of QBs on-campus. He is already being projected as an ATH which means he really doesn't have a position. Sounds like SU is the only one of the three to offer a scholly and I just don't see the value. I've seen his vids and wasn't that impressed that I would be upset of he went elsewhere.
Because people get geeked over the Oklahoma offer.

Because he's an amazing athlete, and projects to other positions where he could be a difference maker.

His speed is beyond belief.

We need more ATH. We don’t have enough of them. There are few, maybe one or two, of our players who can actually run by anybody. This kid is a genuine burner. I think people are excited about using him in the slot or as a RB catching passes and turning upfield. Not as a QB.

He’s a player that’d be nice to have but there’s a lot more that goes into being a good fit outside the QB position other than being a standout athlete

He’s a player that’d be nice to have but there’s a lot more that goes into being a good fit outside the QB position other than being a standout athlete

Beg to differ witcha, Blue.

Being an exceptional athlete at QB, bodes very well for him being able to be effective at a non-QB position.
Assuming QB doesn’t pan out, but who knows? Maybe it will.

Our own Kevin Johnson got beat out at QB, went on to be an excellent WR, and played Pro for many years.

I think you roll the dice on an ATH like this.

His other offers - service academies & Ivies - show he’s got exceptional character & great grades.
We all gushed over the athletic potential of Ashton Broyld, in spite of all the red flags around him, because of his athleticism.

Bass has the athleticism, without the baggage.

And as many (myself included) have stated prior -
Beck has a proven track record of getting athletic dudes on the field and into roles they can excel at.

Being an exceptional athlete at QB, bodes very well for him being able to be effective at a non-QB position.

Our own Kevin Johnson got beat out at QB, went on to be an excellent WR, and played Pro for many years.

His other offers - service academies & Ivies - show he’s got exceptional character & great grades.
We all gushed over the athletic potential of Ashton Broyld, in spite of all the red flags around him, because of his athleticism.

Beck has a proven track record of getting athletic dudes on the field and into roles they can excel at.
Maybe it's my imagination, but Shrader and CDRW seemed to even have better throwing mechanics in the clips from 1st Day of practice.
Due to Beck?

Yeah im fine taking a chance on the kid and trusting Beck here. Just think this is a luxury land rather than a much needed. I’ll be happy if we land him but we’ve also been landing quality skill players lately.

This is such BS.

I’m also sure he’s not realizing that, let’s say OU pays him $50k to cover room & board, that he’s gonna owe tax on that $50k, so now it’s more like $40k.

And there’s zero guarantee of renewal of NIL, or even that they will follow thru, in case he’s not impactful, or gets injured, or whatever.

Good luck, kid.
Choose wisely.
He should take the guaranteed scholly at Cuse, then make bonus money on top of that from NIL here. Makes way more sense than NIL money that not guaranteed year to year and has to be used to cover costs just to attend OU. I'd walk on that "non-offer."

He should take the guaranteed scholly at Cuse, then make bonus money on top of that from NIL here. Makes way more sense than NIL money that not guaranteed year to year and has to be used to cover costs just to attend OU. I'd walk on that "non-offer."
It sounds good, be a PWO but not have to pay anything. But, doesn't that mean that you are buried deeper on the depth chart? You are not worthy of a scholarship, because we have 85 guys ahead of you? One would really want to go to a particular school for him to take that offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom