Class of 2024 - QB Andy Bass (OK) Verbal to Oklahoma | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 QB Andy Bass (OK) Verbal to Oklahoma

If I were Andy I’d be intrigued by the Yale and Harvard offers. Become a legend in Yale or Harvard football, graduate, and watch the opportunities roll in from the many alums well placed in business and government.
You mean be the next Ed Marinaro at Cornell?

I remember when Ed lead the NCAA in yards rushing per game. The Ivies played fewer games than the big programs, so not total yards, but he's still all over the record books for per game rushing and scoring.

Most Yards Gained Career Per Game
174.6—Ed Marinaro, Cornell, 1969-71 (4,715 in 27)

Most Rushes Season Per Game
39.6—Ed Marinaro, Cornell, 1971 (356 in 9)

Most Rushes Career Per Game
34.0—Ed Marinaro, Cornell, 1969-71 (918 in 27)

Earliest Game reaching 1,000 Yards in a Season
5th—Ed Marinaro, Cornell, 1971 (1,026)

Career Rushing Yards Per Game
First all time
Ed Marinaro, Cornell 1969-71 27 918 4,715 50 174.6 Yds/Gm
(Minimum 2,500 yards)

Season Rushing Yards Per Game
Currently third all time behind Barry Sanders, Oklahoma St. and Marcus Allen, Southern California
Ed Marinaro, Cornell 1971 9 games 209.0 Yds/Gm

Annual Rushing Champion (per game)
1970 Ed Marinaro, Cornell Jr. 9 285 1,425 158.3
1971 Ed Marinaro, Cornell Sr. 9 356 1,881 209.0

All Purpose Yards per Game Annual Champion
1971 Ed Marinaro, Cornell Sr. 1,881 51 0 0 0 1,932 214.7

Season Points Per Game
5th all time
Ed Marinaro, Cornell 1971 Sr. 9 24 4 0 148 16.44

Career Points Per Game
Second all time
Ed Marinaro, Cornell 1969-71 27 52 6 0 318 11.78
(Minimum 225 points)

Scoring Annual Champion points per game
1971 Ed Marinaro, Cornell Sr. 9 24 4 0 148 16.4

After playing in the NFL for 5 years, Marinaro became an actor.

Is this the time where we say "grades won't be a problem"?

Kid is an absolute UNIT.

Here's hoping he's the 2nd QB in our class, since he clearly has the athleticism to excel elsewhere, if slinging the rock doesn't work out for him.

IF that OU offer is committable, then that's kinda hard to beat tho.

Is this the time where we say "grades won't be a problem"?

Kid is an absolute UNIT.

Here's hoping he's the 2nd QB in our class, since he clearly has the athleticism to excel elsewhere, if slinging the rock doesn't work out for him.

IF that OU offer is committable, then that's kinda hard to beat tho.
I think if the OU offer was committable, he would have already accepted it.

I am surprised that he hasn't made a decision yet. Oklahoma has loaded up on the skill/athlete type. 4 highly rated wr's, the top rated rb in the country, and a higher rated qb. We offer him better opportunities on and off the field than Oklahoma imo. Those service academies and Ivy offers have to be very tempting though. 247 still has the Kansas and K-Stated listed with no offer which makes me think PWO offer.

I am surprised that he hasn't made a decision yet. Oklahoma has loaded up on the skill/athlete type. 4 highly rated wr's, the top rated rb in the country, and a higher rated qb. We offer him better opportunities on and off the field than Oklahoma imo. Those service academies and Ivy offers have to be very tempting though. 247 still has the Kansas and K-Stated listed with no offer which makes me think PWO offer.
Agree on the Kansas schools. If those are legit offers it would make sense for him to stay in that general region vs coming east. However, I do think Syracuse and Beck have the best game plan to utilize his talent.

Agree on the Kansas schools. If those are legit offers it would make sense for him to stay in that general region vs coming east. However, I do think Syracuse and Beck have the best game plan to utilize his talent.

I don't know -- Harvard / Yale / Princeton -- think I'd focus there if I were this kid. Those options would be awfully tough to pass up.

Last edited:
You may be right. It will be interesting to see where our qb prospects end up and their success in the future.

I do have to say, I initially wasn't that excited about Jakhari Williams, thinking he might be more athlete than QB, and fearing that his initial ratings / offer list were inflated.

But the more I've seen of him and the more film I've watched [and I'm not expert], the more excited I am about his potential. Think he's going to end up being a great "get," and with CDRW and Davis headlining the QB room post-Shrader, I think he'll be given the time needed to refine his skills.

If it was my decision - I would refuse to accept his commitment, and would tell him to go to Harvard.

I do have to say, I initially wasn't that excited about Jakhari Williams, thinking he might be more athlete than QB, and fearing that his initial ratings / offer list were inflated.

But the more I've seen of him and the more film I've watched [and I'm not expert], the more excited I am about his potential. Think he's going to end up being a great "get," and with CDRW and Davis headlining the QB room post-Shrader, I think he'll be given the time needed to refine his skills.
As long as he has the patience to sit and develope.

”Should have accepted our offer and competed with Garrett. Maybe he will still do that and let Jason Beck begin working with him on throwing and other skills he needs at the QB position.”

huh?
Yes.

If he needs skills improved work with Beck to improve himself at QB.

Excuse the confusion. I am not saying he should compete for the QB position although I believe that’s where he wants to be. If not he probably will not commit.

Shrader will lead this season.

What I am suggesting, as some others are is that he play, in Becks offense, a position where he could use both his speed and passing ability to increase our offense ability. There are many things he could excel at out of the backfield.

A play might work like this. Typical offensive set, three receivers split wide to the left side. One to the right.

Bass in a slot to the left Shrader behind center with another back on his right.

At the snap, receivers, one runs a straight go route, one a post, one deep across the middle angling to the right end zone, O line blocking is to the left. The left tight end steps back and goes in motion to the right to block the right side along with the back, Shrader fakes the quick pass to the left flat and hands or pitches to Bass sweeping to the right. The right side of the line and tight end are important here for blocking. He has the option, depending on blocking, to run or pass. He has to be careful not to out-run his blocking. If he sees a space he takes it rather than run around his blocking on the right.

I think it would be something he could be good at considering his athletic ability and speed.

Last edited:
Yes.

If he needs skills improved work with Beck to improve himself at QB or

Excuse the confusion. I am not saying he should compete for the QB position although I believe that’s where he wants to be. If not he probably will not commit.

Shrader will lead this season.

What I am suggesting, as some others are is that he play, in Becks offense, a position where he could use both his speed and passing ability to increase our offense ability. There are many things he could excel at out of the backfield.

A play might work like this. Typical offensive set, three receivers split wide to the left side. One to the right.

Bass in a slot to the left Shrader behind center with another back on his right.

At the snap, receivers, one runs a straight go route, one a post, one deep across the middle angling to the right end zone, O line blocking is to the left. The left tight end steps back and goes in motion to the right to block the right side along with the back, Shrader fakes the quick pass to the left flat and hands or pitches to Bass sweeping to the right. The right side of the line and tight end are important here for blocking. He has the option, depending on blocking, to run or pass. He has to be careful not to out-run his blocking. If he sees a space he take rather than run around his blocking on the right.

I think it would be something he could be good at considering his athletic ability and speed.
Huh?

I wouldn't be surprised if we make top three, but I'm guessing OU, KU, LSU

UConn or UNLV darkhorse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors