Class of 2016 - QB Anthony Brown (NJ) verbal to Boston College | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Anthony Brown (NJ) verbal to Boston College

tipphill said:
too many comments to read so i will just say that i believe this is a significant loss. more so because we need a strong nj presence. the only saving grace in this is that he went t bc and not ru. our nj profile is critical to our success

One missed NJ recruit doesn't make it a sig loss. We grabbed a handful of the best players out of NJ last cycle - and will have a bunch this one too.

One missed NJ recruit doesn't make it a sig loss. We grabbed a handful of the best players out of NJ last cycle - and will have a bunch this one too.

I don't think it is an insurmountable loss, but let's be honest--if he was the QB that our staff had rated atop their board, then its a pretty big loss no matter how you slice it. Now, I don't know if Brown was the top guy on our recruiting chart because of proximity, system fit, or whatever -- and I'm sure there's other guys out there who would easily help us compensate, but we need to land one of those guys. For the class of 2016, we're 0-1 with QBs.

RF2044 said:
I don't think it is an insurmountable loss, but let's be honest--if he was the QB that our staff had rated atop their board, then its a pretty big loss no matter how you slice it. Now, I don't know if Brown was the top guy on our recruiting chart because of proximity, system fit, or whatever -- and I'm sure there's other guys out there who would easily help us compensate, but we need to land one of those guys. For the class of 2016, we're 0-1 with QBs.

Agreed. I was more disagreeing that this is a "significant loss" as it pertains to NJ.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Brown has training sessions with AJ Long. Brown sees his competition front and center. Im sure he is aware of AJ redshirting and possibly being the future of the QB position. Or is it posssible AJ purposely put something in the young man's head that pushed him away? Maybe AJ was scared of competing against him. I dont know just shooting darts with my eyes closed on this one.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Brown has training sessions with AJ Long. Brown sees his competition front and center. Im sure he is aware of AJ redshirting and possibly being the future of the QB position. Or is it posssible AJ purposely put something in the young man's head that pushed him away? Maybe AJ was scared of competing against him. I dont know just shooting darts with my eyes closed on this one.
AJ was excited about the chance to compete against Edouard a kid in his same year. Why would he be afraid of a kid that would be 2 full seasons behind him at SU? The kid has done nothing but help us recruit great talent so we can hopefully win some big games and serious titles. He wants what's best for SU you had better believe that.

As far as brown goes, I doubt it's about him being afraid to compete, he's a d1 athlete coached by Madei, I seriously doubt the kid is scared. I'd bet it simply falls into the category of BC had something he wanted that we don't have, and he picked them for that reason.

Sometimes you do everything you can and still miss out. It happens. Fans really struggle to realize that sometimes nobody messed up, nobody cheated and it just isn't the right fit.

AJ was excited about the chance to compete against Edouard a kid in his same year. Why would he be afraid of a kid that would be 2 full seasons behind him at SU? The kid has done nothing but help us recruit great talent so we can hopefully win some big games and serious titles. He wants what's best for SU you had better believe that.

As far as brown goes, I doubt it's about him being afraid to compete, he's a d1 athlete coached by Madei, I seriously doubt the kid is scared. I'd bet it simply falls into the category of BC had something he wanted that we don't have, and he picked them for that reason.

Sometimes you do everything you can and still miss out. It happens. Fans really struggle to realize that sometimes nobody messed up, nobody cheated and it just isn't the right fit.
I agree with that. I feel the same way. I feel BC just won the battle straight up, better system for him, better stability with their coaches, but knowing the recruiting game, there are lots of players who underplay the the competition thing. They will never publically say they are scared or worried about playing time. You dont think every recruit looks at the depth chart of every team? Thats probably one of the first things some of them do. I know that first hand. Some of the 4 or 5 stars guys make comments about depth charts. We cant always go by what we hear from writers. We are not around these kids day in and day out and we definitely cant read theirs minds and know their insecurities. Just something to think about.

I agree with that. I feel the same way. I feel BC just won the battle straight up, better system for him, better stability with their coaches, but knowing the recruiting game, there are lots of players who underplay the the competition thing. They will never publically say they are scared or worried about playing time. You dont think every recruit looks at the depth chart of every team? Thats probably one of the first things some of them do. I know that first hand. Some of the 4 or 5 stars guys make comments about depth charts. We cant always go by what we hear from writers. We are not around these kids day in and day out and we definitely cant read theirs minds and know their insecurities. Just something to think about.
You are right some do, and some don't. But even if that was the case with Brown (which we won't ever know) we don't exactly have an elite QB prospect on the roster no matter what we fans feel about Long, Dungey and Womacks futures, none of them were elite prospects and I don't think any of them were even as highly rated as Brown (who also isn't elite, but merely a very good prospect).

Either way it's time for us to move on. Wish Brown the best and then get out there to find the next guy who wants SU.

Libero2 said:
You are right some do, and some don't. But even if that was the case with Brown (which we won't ever know) we don't exactly have an elite QB prospect on the roster no matter what we fans feel about Long, Dungey and Womacks futures, none of them were elite prospects and I don't think any of them were even as highly rated as Brown (who also isn't elite, but merely a very good prospect). Either way it's time for us to move on. Wish Brown the best and then get out there to find the next guy who wants SU.

Not sure we've ever recruited an elite QB prospect. Even McNabb wasn't considered elite.

You are right some do, and some don't. But even if that was the case with Brown (which we won't ever know) we don't exactly have an elite QB prospect on the roster no matter what we fans feel about Long, Dungey and Womacks futures, none of them were elite prospects and I don't think any of them were even as highly rated as Brown (who also isn't elite, but merely a very good prospect).

Either way it's time for us to move on. Wish Brown the best and then get out there to find the next guy who wants SU.

The recruitment of a prospect is never done until they sign their LOI. Lots of things can happen between now and February. Just look at Pickard.

The recruitment of a prospect is never done until they sign their LOI. Lots of things can happen between now and February. Just look at Pickard.
I meant more about us the fans than the staff, because you are right in that regard.

Not sure we've ever recruited an elite QB prospect. Even McNabb wasn't considered elite.
Neither was Aaron Rodgers. Or, for that matter, Tom Brady. Brett Favre best offer out of high school was Southern Miss.

Not sure where you get that. I remember sitting behind McNabb at the Carrier Classic when he was visiting. It was a big deal. He was clearly a 4 star level recruit. He had a Nebraska offer at a time when Nebraska was , well, Nebraska. He was a big deal.

if you look at the recruiting in our area, and our history,maybe we may appreciate the value of the need to have a great presence in the metropolitan area. a really good question would be is----why do so many schools look at nj? answer ---good players--

tipphill said:
if you look at the recruiting in our area, and our history,maybe we may appreciate the value of the need to have a great presence in the metropolitan area. a really good question would be is----why do so many schools look at nj? answer ---good players--

We spend a lot of time in NJ and have gotten some of the high 3 star guys just last cycle. Losing Brown is not good - but we'll be just fine.

TheCusian said:
We spend a lot of time in NJ and have gotten some of the high 3 star guys just last cycle. Losing Brown is not good - but we'll be just fine.

Yup, needed to keep building momentum.

No way Brown is the lesser player. Another rationalization to keep SU recruiting hope alive, but the Orange still cant win the big one.

Two glaring things wrong with your post...

1. Womack and/or Dungey are both pretty good looking prospects. Just because Brown had more coverage means absolutely nothing to the effect that he is a better player than Womack. IMO, Womack is our starter in 2016... with or without Brown on campus.

2. Can't win the big one? C'mon man, Washington just committed to us over a slew of other top names, not to mention Pickard and Clark last year.

BC was a whopping 7-6 last year –and people are anointing Addazio as the second coming.

Lets see how Addazzio follows up that stellar season without his QB – the kid who single handily won games and they're losing their entire OL.

They also have that murderous OOC schedule to contend with this year, ya know, Maine, Howard and Northern Illinois. Seriously two D1 AA’s What is that ???

After those 3 padded wins we’ll have certain posters on this board telling us how great Addazzio is.

I see BC going 4-8 this year.

Last edited:
BC was a whopping 7-6 last year –and people anointing Addazio as the second coming.

Lets see how Addazzio follows up that stellar season without his QB – the kid who single handily won games and they're losing their entire OL.

They also have that murderous OOC schedule to contend with this year, ya know, Maine, Howard and Northern Illinois. Seriously two D1 AA’s What is that ???

After those 3 padded wins we’ll have certain posters on this board telling us how great Addazzio is.

I see BC going 4-8 this year.
Yep, every OL starter from last year has exhausted their eligibility. Their offense could be in for a very long year.

Whitey23 said:
The coaches did if he was their #1 qb in the 2016 class.

And you know their opinions on Womak and Dungey?

We will bring a QB into this class it isnt going to be Brown but it will be a solid player. We have two incoming frosh and two kids on the team that could both start. With Washington committed i want to see us load up on the Ol and DL this year. We need a wr or two and some good cover guys other than that we are building good depth