Class of 2016 - QB Anthony Brown (NJ) verbal to Boston College | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Anthony Brown (NJ) verbal to Boston College

His Elite 11 Camp performance opened some eyes. Not a fan of that! I am sure the staff hasn't taken their eye off this prize, I am not worried about that, I am worried about him taking his eye off of us eventually. I guess instead of debating whether we would take both Brown and Haskins we should actually get one of them first, eh??

PhatOrange said:
Haskins is still a pipe dream. Regarding Brown I'm glad he's getting more attention. It makes me more comfortable that when we land him he might actually be a good QB.

Maybe. I don't know. Haskins is favoriting a lot of Syracuse stuff along with the Maryland related stuff. Beating out Maryland, Rutgers, and Florida doesn't seem like such a hill to climb.

Agree on Brown. Think he'll be a good one.

Maybe. I don't know. Haskins is favoriting a lot of Syracuse stuff along with the Maryland related stuff. Beating out Maryland, Rutgers, and Florida doesn't seem like such a hill to climb.

Maybe Brown caught wind of the mutual interest between SU and Haskins and is simply exploring other options just in case.

Except we’re a little late to the Haskins party. He’s never been to campus and while he might be favoriting tweets he’s never said that he’s going to set up a visit. He’s not even said he’s been contacted by Syracuse coaches. Compare that to some of the other kids like the kid in Texas and now the kid Washington.

Need to get Brown on campus and close.

Except we’re a little late to the Haskins party. He’s never been to campus and while he might be favoriting tweets he’s never said that he’s going to set up a visit. He’s not even said he’s been contacted by Syracuse coaches. Compare that to some of the other kids like the kid in Texas and now the kid Washington.

Oh I don't know... looks to me like maybe Acosta was in MD.

Oh I don't know... looks to me like maybe Acosta was in MD.

Is that Haskins' school? Weve been recruiting Maryland for a 100 years, just because Acosta is there doesn't mean we're visiting Haskins. We've got offers out to other Maryland kids. Not trying to be argumentative but this is one where the brakes should be pumped. Maybe Acosta stopped by Bullis (and he should stop by there), but...

Haskins is still a pipe dream. Regarding Brown I'm glad he's getting more attention. It makes me more comfortable that when we land him he might actually be a good QB.

And what about Brown pushing back his expected commitment date and visiting two schools out of his publicized Top 5 do for your comfort level in us signing him?

I guess my point is that if we are going to swim in the deep waters of recruiting with the sharks the fan base should understand the possible consequences if we swing and miss. Its a gamble to jump off guys you've been on consistently and had at the top of your board (and let that recruit know that) to offer new guys at the same position. With social media and recruiting sites its almost impossible to keep new offers quiet so the original recruits know what is going on with all of the new offers. Some may take the attitude that if you're looking elsewhere well I think I will too.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't pursue the top talent for this program. Its just that if you don't do properly it could bite the program in the ass.

Just my thoughts.

PhatOrange said:
Is that Haskins' school? Weve been recruiting Maryland for a 100 years, just because Acosta is there doesn't mean we're visiting Haskins. We've got offers out to other Maryland kids. Not trying to be argumentative but this is one where the brakes should be pumped. Maybe Acosta stopped by Bullis (and he should stop by there), but...

I severely doubt there has been no contact. His followers include: Eric White, Scott Shafer, Elsa Shafer, Jake Pickard. Joe Adam.

I don't think we've jumped off of Brown at all. He's still probably our top priority at QB, and I'm guessing that for right now at least, the fans are pushing Haskins a little more than the coaches.

I don't think we've jumped off of Brown at all. He's still probably our top priority at QB, and I'm guessing that for right now at least, the fans are pushing Haskins a little more than the coaches.
Brown may be on the verge of blowing up a little. If so, great. Bring it on - extra incentive for others to jump on board as well, eventually.

And what about Brown pushing back his expected commitment date and visiting two schools out of his publicized Top 5 do for your comfort level in us signing him?

I guess my point is that if we are going to swim in the deep waters of recruiting with the sharks the fan base should understand the possible consequences if we swing and miss. Its a gamble to jump off guys you've been on consistently and had at the top of your board (and let that recruit know that) to offer new guys at the same position. With social media and recruiting sites its almost impossible to keep new offers quiet so the original recruits know what is going on with all of the new offers. Some may take the attitude that if you're looking elsewhere well I think I will too.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't pursue the top talent for this program. Its just that if you don't do properly it could bite the program in the ass.

Just my thoughts.
The real point you, and everyone need to realize is the recruits we are going after, all seem to be getting offers from the big boys. That means our coaches are identifying talent, and of course we aren't going to win all the battles, but the last cycle , and now we are winning some. We won't get back to consistently being top 20, unless we win some of the battles. Would you rather go back to recruiting all players who have Akron offers?

Just my thoughts.
Do we know if he is going on a real visit or just attending camps? I might have missed that above.

Just my thoughts.
How do you know that SU has "jumped off" recruiting Brown? Just because the fans are getting in a lather about Haskins doesn't mean that the staff has changed their approach with Brown. The fact that he's talking about visiting UM and UF might be a product of those schools coming on board more recently, and not anything wrong that the SU staff is doing or not doing.

How do you know that SU has "jumped off" recruiting Brown? Just because the fans are getting in a lather about Haskins doesn't mean that the staff has changed their approach with Brown. The fact that he's talking about visiting UM and UF might be a product of those schools coming on board more recently, and not anything wrong that the SU staff is doing or not doing.

Agreed, and until a kid commits if coaches aren't saying to him, "hey Anthony, we love you, but we are going to recruit other players as well. If you commit, we're done, but until you do, the spot s up for grabs. " Thats on them. No kid is good enough for us to abandon the position entirely. If they do go elsewhere, what then?

And now he's going to camp/visit UF and Miami in June. Hope the staff doesn't get to distracted with the bright lights and remember to give attention to our original primary targets.

No idea if that's the case currently. Just a thought.
He's still our primary target. Regardless of if Haskins decides to listen or not. Brown knows Washington too.

The real point you, and everyone need to realize is the recruits we are going after, all seem to be getting offers from the big boys. That means our coaches are identifying talent, and of course we aren't going to win all the battles, but the last cycle , and now we are winning some. We won't get back to consistently being top 20, unless we win some of the battles. Would you rather go back to recruiting all players who have Akron offers?
Good post. What might start to happen is that rather than starting off with the Akron group of recruits they now become our B listers

I severely doubt there has been no contact. His followers include: Eric White, Scott Shafer, Elsa Shafer, Jake Pickard. Joe Adam.

That's fair I suppose (when did they start following him) but does that mean we've told Brown he's not our top QB target anymore?

we love you but just hold on cause we might have a shot to bring a hotter girl to the prom. ooops nope, sorry, we still love you will you still go to the prom with me?

That's fair I suppose (when did they start following him) but does that mean we've told Brown he's not our top QB target anymore?

we love you but just hold on cause we might have a shot to bring a hotter girl to the prom. ooops nope, sorry, we still love you will you still go to the prom with me?
In fairness, we offered Haskins a long time ago, so it's not a real surprise that he's on our radar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom