Class of 2018 - QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF

I thought Dan Villari's tape looked really good. Surprised he hasn't at least gotten a visit from the staff.
( first mentioned by Orangepassion in the "Other Qb's" thread.)

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone doesn't want competition and is so sure TD is "entrenched" as the starter and nobody should challenge him in fear of hurting TD's feelings.

The key here was finding a QB who could challenge TD and be ready to excel if he goes down with an injury. So pray thar TD stays healthy. I guess it was too much to ask. The Amie situation seriously disrupted our QB development.

DeVito was a 4 Star recruit. Dino brought him in. The kid had a tough first year. He can get better.

DeVito was a great pickup. No issues there. But the inability to develop a line of good backups, compounded by the Amie saga, may be finally come back to haunt us.

DeVito was a great pickup. No issues there. But the inability to develop a line of good backups, compounded by the Amie saga, may be finally come back to haunt us.
Agree he was a great pick up after watching a lot of his throws this past year and he looked uncomfortable and unsure of his confidence.

We put a lot on DeVito this year.
He was a RS Sophomore.
Now as an upper class men the expectations should be there.
I think he has talent. Needs to work on pocket awareness and timing.
Throws a good deep ball, has good arm strength. So I am okay with him as the starting QB next year.

He was a RS Sophomore.
Throws a good deep ball, has good arm strength. So I am okay with him as the starting QB next year.

We don’t have any choice. He’s going to be the starter. If he gets hurt early in the season, Culpepper is our guy.

He was a RS Sophomore.
None of that is an issue for me. The issue is that we should be bringing in solid qb prospects each and every year. The fact that we have one on the roster is ridiculous. You want to count Summer, okay. He did have a Maryland offer. But still...a school like Syracuse that wants to put offense in the spotlight, a dome no less, should bring in qb's. And we just don't. Marrone didn't really bring in any. Shafer, one. Dino one. That is terrible.

lol - what are the other realistic options?

Not trolling you. The statement just struck me as funny.
Meaning I don’t think Fortin is that big a loss. He wants to start.
If I had to pick between Fortin coming here and him being the starter or him not coming here because he wasn’t given the starter job then I take DeVito.
Fortin wants to start.

That’s one way to spin this but you’re spinning and missing the actual issue by trying to cover for the staff. The issue is that he was the guy we needed and ultimately lost, nobody cares where he went to per say. The problem is we have failed to recruit hard, a position of need for at least this year.

The OL was much improved but also against sub par defenses. We don’t know yet if it’s actually fixed. We’re talking about it being fixed the way people talked about us winning 8-9 games minimum. It’s still a big unknown at this point.
Spot on about the Oline. I am starting to hear we have turned corner kinda language about our Oline and nothing could be further from the truth. We played better over 4 games. Better or “Improved “ is relative to where you start from. Our improvements started from garbage. We are far from being a good line. That said we gained allot of experience, Bergeron shows great promise, most of those who played the end of the season return...those are positives. A long ways to go though.
Now in missing out on Fortin we have at a minimum lost a #2 and possibly a #1. I am a huge Babers fan but he needs to own this. This is inexcusable and Dino needs triage this and ditch the “apples in one basket “ approach IF that is what he is doing. I am not sold that is true but if there is truth he needs to adjust asap.

None of that is an issue for me. The issue is that we should be bringing in solid qb prospects each and every year. The fact that we have one on the roster is ridiculous. You want to count Summer, okay. He did have a Maryland offer. But still...a school like Syracuse that wants to put offense in the spotlight, a dome no less, should bring in qb's. And we just don't. Marrone didn't really bring in any. Shafer, one. Dino one. That is terrible.
It's baffling.

Meaning I don’t think Fortin is that big a loss. He wants to start.
If I had to pick between Fortin coming here and him being the starter or him not coming here because he wasn’t given the starter job then I take DeVito.
Fortin wants to start.
I know what you meant. I just thought it was funny the way you said it.

When it comes down to it, I never thought he was coming here, based on the fact that he would most likely sit for a year (minimum).

I think Babers better bring in a QB this class. It’s not over till February.
Fortin wouldn’t have been my choice.
He is a 3 years to play who wants to a chance to start and not wait.
Syracuse needs a transfer who will sit or a Freshman.
Not a kid who wants to come right in and expect to start.

I think Babers better bring in a QB this class. It’s not over till February.
Fortin wouldn’t have been my chose.
He is a 3 years to play who wants to a chance to start and not wait.
Syracuse needs a transfer who will sit or a Freshman.
Not a kid who wants to come right in and expect to start.
I couldn't disagree more with this take. I want guys that want to come in and play. And have the ability to do just that.

Kirk Martin's only recruiting win, was his son, whom Dino's daughter gets the assist for.
Yeah, wasn't there a conversation recently that Fortin was going to be a big recruiting win for Martin.

This... feels bad.

I couldn't disagree more with this take. I want guys that want to come in and play. And have the ability to do just that.
I want talent. I also think DeVito is good enough that I want a depth QB and a piece for the future not a guy who is going to expect to be the guy from day 1.
Joe Fields was ruined because we rushed him into QB instead of just going with Perry Patterson.
There was talk Fields was promised the start. That ruined him. I don’t want a QB coming in expecting to start. When we have a decent prospect.
I believe Fortin didn’t come here because he didn’t think he would start day 1. I don’t want those guys.

Yeah seems like everyone is shocked by this one. I guess he had a meeting with USF and then this happened.