Class of 2020 - QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20) | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20)

No question his experience and blocking ability was missed. There was a lot of contributing factors. I think Tommy had some responsibility, the OL a lot, the WRs had some and the OC played a part in the meltdown too.

I am saying that if you have a QB who can make plays outside the pocket, it helps mitigate issues with pass blocking. I don't think Dillon will ever be close to the playmaker that Eric was, but it looks like he can make throws and extend plays running to his left or his right. That could be a big deal for this offense some day.
Imo, TD's decision making and lack of success on 1st and 2nd down were huge factors in the sack totals. There were way too many 3rd and longs where the opponent's defense just pinned back their ears.

Word is that he struggled with the "playbook" and making the correct reads at the LOS. It's the main reason the offense played at a much slower pace than the year before.

Ahh yes , it was Val Kilmer that stole the show in Tombstone , do we have any recruits that look like Doc.

He was amazing.
916c6501629f2b38e5cb252823e7ef5c.gif

Your suspicion is in error. I see lots of College Football, probably too much (my wife would confirm this). I'm not arguing that our OL wasn't a major problem for most of last year, as well as many other years. My point was that every QB has to be able to throw on the run to be effective, even if they have a good OL. Burrow was just one example where I'm sure he had a much better OL than SU, but he still made countless plays when it seemed nothing was there. Most teams are doing confusing blitzes nowadays and even a very good OL will get beat at times.

I disagree. Tommy was running for his life all season long. We had a historically troubled OL in 2019. If you think what he had to deal with last season (and what Eric had to deal with in 2018) is the same thing Joe Burrow dealt with at LSU this season, I suspect you do not watch much college football.

Eric's mobility and athletic ability allowed the offense to overcome chronic issues with the OL in 2018. I think the biggest reason the offense struggled in 2019 was because we were lacking in these areas (plus the QB struggled with reads, particularly blitzes).

He was amazing.
916c6501629f2b38e5cb252823e7ef5c.gif
Me and a few buddies drive to Glenwood at least once a year. Stay at the hotel which is amazing, hike up to the gravesite and give a toast.

Me and a few buddies drive to Glenwood at least once a year. Stay at the hotel which is amazing, hike up to the gravesite and give a toast.

That’s pretty cool.

That’s pretty cool.
It is. Go to Vail in Summer or fall. Head to Glenwood which is an amazing drive. Simply spectacular. Stay at the hotel in Glenwood. Check out Docs grave site. So much to do. World class fishing, hiking, Golf. Best time for beauty and lack of crowds. June or September after Labor day. Both great and beautiful. Feel blessed to live in the area.

So given the question marks behind Tommy, does Dillon get a legit shot to fight for backup QB as a frosh?
He sure seems ready to compete. He has the size, pocket awareness, and arm strength he'd need to become an option sooner rather than later. If the video we've seen is a good indication, our depth at QB just improved dramatically...

So given the question marks behind Tommy, does Dillon get a legit shot to fight for backup QB as a frosh?
He has good size, but it’s hard to imagine him coming in as a fall enrollee and mastering the offense well enough to displace the more experienced QBs. I am assuming that Culpepper will be in the mix.

Ive thought of that. Not sure how many practice reps he will get over Summers and Rex. It will be hard to pass them up because of that. If he is torching up the first team defense he will be the back up by game 6

Being a Senior, Rex would have to significantly separate himself from the pack for DB and SG to keep him in the #2 spot. They’ll develop an underclassman over RSr. The only way Rex stays at #2 is if, in the unfortunate possibility of TD getting hurt, Rex is the difference between winning and losing.

The $44,000 question. Why only one offer from SFA and nobody else?
As A Syracuse grad who lives in Texas I can answer that question. Stephen F Austin and Texas St are the only Division 1 teams to attend 3 or 4 of his games live and see the 98% of the plays NOT in his highlight package. But SFA has a good returning qb and the Texas backup qb from transfer portal Sam Saxton. So this kid would've possibly never saw the field until 2023.

As A Syracuse grad who lives in Texas I can answer that question. Stephen F Austin and Texas St are the only Division 1 teams to attend 3 or 4 of his games live and see the 98% of the plays NOT in his highlight package. But SFA has a good returning qb and the Texas backup qb from transfer portal Sam Saxton. So this kid would've possibly never saw the field until 2023.

So then your take is Dillon isn't very good?