QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

I imagine it’s a conversation he can have with the coaches and keep communication open but it is a risk.

Oh for sure. On the flip side, the coaching staff doesn’t owe him anything if he wants to go into the portal. Their only responsibility is to have depth. So if some really good FCS QB reaches out to staff and next thing you know, he’s portaging and signing with SU.

Things are happening really fast now a days. I feel like it’s not a time period to be messing around unless you know someone else is interested in you. Lamson isn’t going to the NFL, most likely. That free degree is important

There is a possibility he's both back AND we add a portal QB.

I wouldn’t be upset with that. It’s a position along with OL we can never have too many players on the depth chart

Dino is a terrible recruiter. He can't hold on to anyone. He lost Lamson due to him not offering him a fair chance to beat out Schrader. Every good coach wants to make it fair competition.

I can understand arguing DB might not be a great recruiter but using Lamson as an example is a fail.

Dino is a terrible recruiter. He can't hold on to anyone. He lost Lamson due to him not offering him a fair chance to beat out Schrader. Every good coach wants to make it fair competition.
You/the rest of us have no idea why Lamson left, he almost left in January months before spring ball, he hasn’t played a down at SU, and at best should be QB2 behind an improving 2 year starter. Dino could tell him he has a shot at QB1 plus play small forward for Red Autry, but neither is true and everyone, Lamson included, would know that. If potentially being an injury away from QB1 after never playing isn’t enough for him, then that’s ok, he should leave

You/the rest of us have no idea why Lamson left, he almost left in January months before spring ball, he hasn’t played a down at SU, and at best should be QB2 behind an improving 2 year starter. Dino could tell him he has a shot at QB1 plus play small forward for Red Autry, but neither is true and everyone, Lamson included, would know that. If potentially being an injury away from QB1 after never playing isn’t enough for him, then that’s ok, he should leave
If he’s leaving because he can’t be QB1 this season or because he doesn’t like his spot on the depth chart, then there isn’t much we can do about that and it’s not $$ related.

If he is actually QB2 and he got poached for NIL money then that’s disturbing for a number of reasons. And honestly the only post I saw with what seemed like somewhat reliable insider information was the one about Dino talking to Rick Neuheisal about it being NIL related.

If he’s leaving because he can’t be QB1 this season or because he doesn’t like his spot on the depth chart, then there isn’t much we can do about that and it’s not $$ related.

If he is actually QB2 and he got poached for NIL money then that’s disturbing for a number of reasons. And honestly the only post I saw with what seemed like somewhat reliable insider information was the one about Dino talking to Rick Neuheisal about it being NIL related.

In what way would it be disturbing if another team wanted to poach our #2 QB

Generally when they are poached for NIL they sign decently quick or there’s a lot of talk of where they are going

It has been, eerily quiet on the Lamson side

I’m not going to be totally shocked to see him pull himself out of the portal

Generally when they are poached for NIL they sign decently quick or there’s a lot of talk of where they are going

Yeah usually at this point you'd think there'd be some Twitter rumors at least.

In what way would it be disturbing if another team wanted to poach our #2 QB
It’s disturbing because it’s yet another player we’ve been unable to pay to retain. If that’s the case.

It’s disturbing because it’s yet another player we’ve been unable to pay to retain. If that’s the case.

If someone else is willing to pay a guy with no history of success playing D1 football, that’s on them. Also, nobody has paid him anything yet, not even a rumor of anyone caring he’s in the portal. I’d rather spend the $ on a portal OL from JUCO or FCS with proven success.

This is one of the least disturbing things to happen to SU football in at least a decade.

If someone else is willing to pay a guy with no history of success playing D1 football, that’s on them. Also, nobody has paid him anything yet, not even a rumor of anyone caring he’s in the portal. I’d rather spend the $ on a portal OL from JUCO or FCS with proven success.

This is one of the least disturbing things to happen to SU football in at least a decade.
Shafer and George McDonald alone take up most of that disturbing top 10

Agree completely. People making Lamson out to be a star in spring games could be totally right or completely wrong. Nobody knows. It's a small sample size.

I'll ride and die with Shrader and hope he doesnt get hurt. After that, who knows. Everything is a roller coaster every year now. Hard to plan beyond the next season.
Starring in the spring game is pretty much worthless, because it is not a real game in any way.

Just a question, if you enter the portal is your original team required to take you back should you decide to withdraw from the portal? Or does the team have to agree to take you back?

There is a rumor that Dino told Neuhesiel at the golf tournament that Lamson in the portal was due to NIL. So not sure where you’re getting that there aren’t any rumors.

And my comment as to disturbing is the sum total of quality of outflow to the program this cycle vs quality of inflow. We consistently have missed on any instant impact portal targets that have been in demand. So we have not shown the ability to quickly fill in 2 deep needs from the portal when we lose players off the 2 deep.

Last edited:
There is a rumor that Dino told Neuhesiel at the golf tournament that Lamson in the portal was due to NIL. So not sure where you’re getting that there aren’t any rumors.

And my comment as to disturbing is the sum total of quality of outflow to the program this cycle vs quality of inflow. We consistently have missed on any instant impact portal targets that have been in demand. So we have not show the ability to quickly fill in 2 deep needs from the portal when we lose players off the 2 deep.
They only played 18 holes and finished in the top five I believe. When did they find the time to talk about Cuse losing its third-string QB?

Last edited:
The only played 18 holes and finished in the top five I believe. When did they find the time to talk about Cuse losing its third-string QB?
Post 20. And there’s been zero clarification as to where Lamson was on the depth chart either. All we know at this point is that he was a backup.

Last edited:
Post 20. And there’s been zero clarification as to where Lamson was on the depth chart either. All we know at this point is that he was a backup.

Either way, it’s not like it was Shrader.

I was pro-Lamson, but his departure is far too legendary for me.

Last edited:

Paying creates a Dominos effect.

Just a question, if you enter the portal is your original team required to take you back should you decide to withdraw from the portal? Or does the team have to agree to take you back?
No they are not required to take a player back that has entered the portal.

The team has to agree, once you enter your scholarship is no longer secured and they don’t have to hold a spot

The team has to agree, once you enter your scholarship is no longer secured and they don’t have to hold a spot
So the player does put himself in some degree of risk. I hope that this is realised by the players involved.

If players understand this, then you would think they would not enter without some assurance they had a landing spot.

So the player does put himself in some degree of risk. I hope that this is realised by the players involved.

If players understand this, then you would think they would not enter without some assurance they had a landing spot.

They absolutely put themselves in risk…

I believe that its something like 50% of kids that enter the portal, don’t end finding a new place to land

They absolutely put themselves in risk…

I believe that its something like 50% of kids that enter the portal, don’t end finding a new place to land
I did not realise it was that high, and frankly cannot understand the reasoning to make a portal entry with no idea if you have a destination.
It is sad, but I guess ultimately on the player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom