Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

Scott seems like a great kid who had an amazing HS career, but he has ofers from Tulane and Rutgers. Everyone knows his numbers and success, but no offers. Somebody knows something and this staff already realized that many of Shafer recruits were not ACC caliber. This is pretty much a given when you see who they have eventually comitted to. I like the kid, but you really have to question why NOONE ELSE ever offered him.

Well in a couple of years you may be proven right. But for now you're just making stuff up. Scott never tweeted about any of this stuff-too much class to do that. Babers gets announced on Dec 5, and Doucet tweets that he's in contact with SU by Dec 9. If you want to crush Babers for losing a guy that was not a great fit for his system that's fine but get your facts straight and stop casting aspersions about how you think the situation was handled.

I am going to wade in to this. I think what sticks out to me are a few things in the Scott recruitment and why I think he might have flipped. You say that they didn't treat him any different than the rest of the recruits not quite true. The kids that they had as priorities they had come and take an ov as soon as Babers was on campus prior to the dead period. Then this staff moved his ov back to the last ov weekend. Did they visit in home immediately as they did many kids prior to the Dead period... no.

The kid is very bright and had to know that he wasn't a priority, especially after this staff was offering other QBs for this class. Personally that wouldn't sit well with me. And then there is the simple dynamic of personal chemistry. He may have decided that he didn't want to be coached by Lewis for four years.

Last edited:
If any good come from this is I believe we will be in the market for QBs next year, and we should be in on some 4 *. I'm sure Baber has a couple already lined up.

We really only have 2 capable QB's next year, Dungey assuming he can still play and Culpepper. Mahoney and Wilson are CLEAR backups and Womack is a project.

Let us pray that the first 2 can play and don't get hurt or we will be in a very bad way.

I am going to wade in to this. I think what sticks out to me are a few things in the Scott recruitment and why I think he might have flipped. You say that they didn't treat him any different than the rest of the recruits not quite true. The kids that they had as priorities they had come and take an ov as soon as Babers was on campus prior to the dead period. Then this staff moved his ov back to the last ov weekend. Did they visit in home immediately as they did many kids prior to the Dead period... no.

The kid is very bright and had to know that he wasn't a priority, especially after this staff was offering other QBs for this class. Personally that wouldn't sit well with me. And then there is the simple dynamic of personal chemistry. He may have decided that he didn't want to be coached by Lewis for four years.
All true. However I never said Scott wasn't treated differently- only that insinuations that he was treated unfairly or dishonestly is unfair to the staff. He clearly was not the top priority for the new staff, but that doesn't mean we did him wrong.

All true. However I never said Scott wasn't treated differently- only that insinuations that he was treated unfairly or dishonestly is unfair to the staff. He clearly was not the top priority for the new staff, but that doesn't mean we did him wrong.
Actually I am agreeing with you in that I don't think he was treated dishonestly but was rather a vicitim of recruiting and priorities. However by not making him a priority and offering other QBs this staff may find themselves very thin at the QB position. Hopefully they can bring in another QB or who they have on the roster can become enough to win this season.

We really only have 2 capable QB's next year, Dungey assuming he can still play and Culpepper. Mahoney and Wilson are CLEAR backups and Womack is a project.

Let us pray that the first 2 can play and don't get hurt or we will be in a very bad way.
I would not be surprised if Hunt gets another year. He has not given up yet.

I would not be surprised if Hunt gets another year. He has not given up yet.
I'd love to agree, but, as far as the rule goes it's pretty cut and dry. Unfortunately, I believe, Mr. Hunt's career here is at an end.

Wilson, Dungey, Mahoney & Rex - maybe Womack... That's what we got. Dont bring in just to bring in this class. If you whiffed you whiffed. Your results in 2016 should have us in a much better position with the 2017 class.

Actually I am agreeing with you in that I don't think he was treated dishonestly but was rather a vicitim of recruiting and priorities. However by not making him a priority and offering other QBs this staff may find themselves very thin at the QB position. Hopefully they can bring in another QB or who they have on the roster can become enough to win this season.
the coaches wouldnt have done it that way if they felt he was a priority to keep.. as much as people here worry about losing him the coaches must not have been, maybe to them he was a project and they can always find projects? how he projects in his system is all babers cares about.,

the coaches wouldnt have done it that way if they felt he was a priority to keep.. as much as people here worry about losing him the coaches must not have been, maybe to them he was a project and they can always find projects? how he projects in his system is all babers cares about.,
Done it what way? Send your OC to La. for an entire day 1-day after the dead period ends in a shortened cycle? You don't do that with kids who aren't priorities or you don't intend on bringing in.

They may have kicked some tires on guys they liked better initially, but it shook out pretty quick.

people say we didnt show him enough love. i dont know how he felt. still he is was one of our lowest rated commits on many sites and with few other offers so it is what it is.

I really don't know who here was claiming dishonesty. There were supportable arguments - where were all his P5 offers - but there were a bunch of us hoping that a 1st team AA athlete (by one service) would be aggressively pursued at a position of need but who could play other positions (see 1st team AA) and are disappointed this high character kid won't be coming.

Done it what way? Send your OC to La. for an entire day 1-day after the dead period ends in a shortened cycle? You don't do that with kids who aren't priorities or you don't intend on bringing in.

They may have kicked some tires on guys they liked better initially, but it shook out pretty quick.

Maybe they could have brought him in when they brought in Moe, Culpepper, et al. Maybe that would have made him feel that he was a priority or visited with him sooner.
Just my musing but I keep going back to recruiting territory. The kids that have decommitted have all been from outside this staffs normal recruiting territory. Outside of the areas where they know the competition and the coaches. I think this played a major factor in who they deemed a priority.

Maybe they could have brought him in when they brought in Moe, Culpepper, et al. Maybe that would have made him feel that he was a priority or visited with him sooner.
Just my musing but I keep going back to recruiting territory. The kids that have decommitted have all been from outside this staffs normal recruiting territory. Outside of the areas where they know the competition and the coaches. I think this played a major factor in who they deemed a priority.

Seems like they brought in those guys early because they were set to enroll early?

Bottom line is that the staff had him rated lower than this board and prioritized in light of that fact. This is normal and happens everywhere. Schools discover diamonds in the rough and kids get passed over only to be great all the time. The only thing coaches can do is to evaluate and rate.

Yes, but they brought in others in that first ov date that weren't earlies.

Right. There's no doubt there has been a pecking order and Scott was further back. But I wonder if he'd been set to enroll early, if we'd seen him visit then.

How is it odd? You treat the kid like a nobody for weeks, try to tempt several other players at his position to no avail, then when you find out you have no other options, you stroll in and tell him you want him, after other schools start communicating with him? Frankly, I'm surprised he waited this long to de-commit. He's a smart kid. You can't BS him into thinking you care, when it's obvious you are only doing it because you have no other options.

You will never get me to believe that Babers & Co. didn't screw this recruitment up royally. And honestly, I hope Mr. Scott proves them wrong, no matter where he goes.

Hopefully, only bringing in one QB (and you have to thank the old staff for that one) doesn't come back to haunt SU sometime in the next couple years.

Sounds like you're a bigger fan of the kid than you are of the program. At least with Dino running it.

Sounds like you're a bigger fan of the kid than you are of the program. At least with Dino running it.
Yeah right- Babers must be the worst guy in the world trying to "tempt" other higher rated recruits to come to SU and improve the program- what a jerk!

He clearly was NOT a priority to the new staff. Period.
Actions speak louder than words:
They didn't bring him in during the first OV after they took over, like they did with the priority guys.
They offered a TON of other QB's over the past month.
They pushed his OV back to the last weekend.

Given our fairly dire QB situation, due to lack of depth, injuries, and inexperience, not bringing in 1 more guy, who has been successful at the highest levels of HS football in a talented area, who is a great kid, leader, and student, and who could easily move to another position if the QB thing doesn't pan out, is an error.
He's the Gatorade POY for Louisiana, and an AA as an athlete. Why not take a shot on him?

We're likely going to take 20-some-odd recruits this cycle, assuming we can even get that many.
It's a stone cold LOCK that Lindsey is a better all-around football player, than whomever those last 3-4-5 guys end up being.

They didn't bring him in during the first OV after they took over, like they did with the priority guys.

Given our fairly dire QB situation, due to lack of depth, injuries, and inexperience, not bringing in 1 more guy, who has been successful at the highest levels of HS football in a talented area, who is a great kid, leader, and student, and who could easily move to another position if the QB thing doesn't pan out, is an error.
He's the Gatorade POY for Louisiana, and an AA as an athlete. Why not take a shot on him?

We're likely going to take 20-some-odd recruits this cycle, assuming we can even get that many.
It's a stone cold LOCK that Lindsey is a better all-around football player, than whomever those last 3-4-5 guys end up being.
Name the ton of QB's they offered?

Maybe they didn't make him a priority in the beginning but it was his decision to decommit. And they could have made him a priority and he still may have decided that Syracuse wasn't the place for him with these new coaches. Like I posted before it could have all come down to simple personal chemistry. That is why kids committed to a school often decommit after a new staff is brought in to that school... they don't have the same comfort level with the new staff.

Yeah right- Babers must be the worst guy in the world trying to "tempt" other higher rated recruits to come to SU and improve the program- what a jerk!

I think the part that annoyed me was "And honestly, I hope Mr. Scott proves them wrong, no matter where he goes"

Really? Care that much about a kid who you haven't met, who isn't coming here anymore? So if he goes to Rutgers, you hope he is awesome?

That's when you have to take a couple steps backwards from the recruiting ledge. Unless, of course, he has a personal relationship with the kid.

721Comstock said:
He clearly was NOT a priority to the new staff. Period. Actions speak louder than words: They didn't bring him in during the first OV after they took over, like they did with the priority guys. They offered a TON of other QB's over the past month. They pushed his OV back to the last weekend. Given our fairly dire QB situation, due to lack of depth, injuries, and inexperience, not bringing in 1 more guy, who has been successful at the highest levels of HS football in a talented area, who is a great kid, leader, and student, and who could easily move to another position if the QB thing doesn't pan out, is an error. He's the Gatorade POY for Louisiana, and an AA as an athlete. Why not take a shot on him? We're likely going to take 20-some-odd recruits this cycle, assuming we can even get that many. It's a stone cold LOCK that Lindsey is a better all-around football player, than whomever those last 3-4-5 guys end up being.

A lock? Hmmmmm

Maybe they didn't make him a priority in the beginning but it was his decision to decommit. And they could have made him a priority and he still may have decided that Syracuse wasn't the place for him with these new coaches. Like I posted before it could have all come down to simple personal chemistry. That is why kids committed to a school often decommit after a new staff is brought in to that school... they don't have the same comfort level with the new staff.
My theory is that maybe the kid has his heart set on staying at qb and is looking for a school that will allow him the best opportunity to do that- perhaps he's just not down with a position change as simple as we all make it sound. Who knows? Good luck to the kid wherever he winds up.