Class of 2025 - QB Luke Carney (TX) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/25/24) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 QB Luke Carney (TX) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/25/24)

Agreed.

But [this has nothing to do with your post above -- general comment] QB recruits are a crapshoot. Even at factories, who bring in highly rated QB prospects every year, many of them don't pan out for any variety of reasons.

We have two young QB prospects -- Jakhari Williams and Carney -- who both are intriguing. Remains to be seen whether either of them prove to be an ACC caliber player, let alone a starter. Maybe one will. Maybe they both will. Maybe one [or both] needs another year or two of development before they're ready.

But with McCord having such a great season, I have to think that's going to be attractive to potential portal QBs looking for a program that will let them show their stuff. And McCord's video game statistics will give the coaches something to "sell" on the recruiting trail to experienced QBs looking for a change of scenery.

Unless Williams looks like the second coming of Marvin Graves, or the coaches view Carney as being ready to take over on day 1 [which seems unlikely for an incoming true frosh], I'd have to expect that the coaching staff will be hitting the portal hard at QB, looking to bring in a starter.
I was watching Jakhari during warmups against UNLV - I really like him. I think he's the next best QB on the team and I fully expect him to be in the conversation for starter next year if McCord doesn't get an additional year.

Is there any expectation that he could be eligible for one? Whats the reasoning?
He had his redshirt burned his freshman year due to his coach putting him into a game late in the season for 1 play. So the theory is that there could be grounds for a petition to the NCAA for additional year. But obviously if he decides to go pro it's a moot point. Which he likely will I'd think.

What makes Kyle so good is his football IQ. He is like a coach on the field. He can make all of the throws, and he is really smart. Going forward give me a QB that has poise intelligence and throws an accurate ball all day over the kid with the cannon arm. Smart and accurate wins games

I was watching Jakhari during warmups against UNLV - I really like him. I think he's the next best QB on the team and I fully expect him to be in the conversation for starter next year if McCord doesn't get an additional year.

Make no mistake, I like Jakhari too. I was pleased that Fran Brown retained him from the carry-over class he inherited. He sounds like an exceptional young man, who certainly has some athletic ability.

I'm also excited about Carney, and think we may have gotten a "steal."

But there's no guarantee that either of those guys will end up being THE GUY. DeVito looked brilliant throwing the ball in shorts.

I'd be pretty uncomfortable heading into next season with Michael Johnson, Williams, and Carney as the QBs on the roster. Especially after we're so heavily reliant upon McCord this year.

By the way -- I also recognize that transfer QBs are no guarantee either. Look at DJ Uiagalelei at FSU. Heck, Ohio State was willing to let McCord walk, and they were really excited about bringing in Will Howard -- and I think they probably regret the way that worked out now. So nothing is certain.

That's why I want to add the best players we can, and then let it sort itself out on the practice field. Williams, Carney, some portal QB -- doesn't matter which one emerges as THE GUY, provided one of them does.

May the best QB win.

He had his redshirt burned his freshman year due to his coach putting him into a game late in the season for 1 play. So the theory is that there could be grounds for a petition to the NCAA for additional year. But obviously if he decides to go pro it's a moot point. Which he likely will I'd think.

Kyle will be on Red Zone next year.

Make no mistake, I like Jakhari too. I was pleased that Fran Brown retained him from the carry-over class he inherited. He sounds like an exceptional young man, who certainly has some athletic ability.

But there's no guarantee that either of those guys will end up being THE GUY. DeVito looked brilliant throwing the ball in shorts.

I'd be pretty uncomfortable heading into next season with Michael Johnson, Williams, and Carney as the QBs on the roster. Especially after we're so heavily reliant upon McCord this year.

By the way -- I also recognize that transfer QBs are no guarantee either. Look at DJ Uiagalelei at FSU. Heck, Ohio State was willing to let McCord walk, and they were really excited about bringing in Will Howard -- and I think they probably regret the way that worked out now. So nothing is certain.

That's why I want to add the best players we can, and then let it sort itself out on the practice field. Williams, Carney, some portal QB -- doesn't matter which one emerges as THE GUY, provided one of them does.

May the best QB win.
I think we will be attractive to a good portal QB and the competition for QB 1 will be great. People on this thread, keep rooting for some Jersey kid currently playing at Notre Dame. What has he done? I don't know!

May the best QB win.
Well I could have told you DJ was going to take a dump - he couldn't hack the pressure at Clemson, became a functional QB again at the most low pressure (now non-P5) at Oregon State, and then suddenly is a new man for FSU? Yeah not happening. Reminded me of (insert trade or free agent) that would come from a small market team to the Yankees and stink because they couldn't handle the pressure. Couldn't have happened to a better program though at FSU :)

The schedule next year is brutal and no matter what QB cuse has, they are in for it. However if you win a bunch of games it’s obviously more attractive. But I think Williams is good. His mobility will help a bunch too. Carney definitely a steal and I’m worried someone will try to poach him late before signing but hope I’m wrong. I think QB is a sturdy position for a bit

I hope that we keep Nixon as he is the key. Next year depending on who starts at QB i think we see a different O especially if it is Jakari as his legs are a threat.

May the best QB win.
As much as we struck gold with Kyle, I'm not sure I agree with your Ohio St regretting how it has worked out with Will Howard. He's having a great year. Also, I don't think Johnson has another year of eligibility. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

As much as we struck gold with Kyle, I'm not sure I agree with your Ohio St regretting how it has worked out with Will Howard. He's having a great year. Also, I don't think Johnson has another year of eligibility. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.
Others have said that he does. Out of HS he was highly recruited but he hasnt put it together as a QB so far so im not counting on him to be the one. Hope im wrong.

Not what I'm hearing. But who cares -- F OSU.

Others have said that he does. Out of HS he was highly recruited but he hasnt put it together as a QB so far so im not counting on him to be the one. Hope im wrong.
Coach said he has another year. He came for a chance to win the job next year. This is his first non-injured year in a while where he has played tradition QB since the other schools played him more like a wildcat/RB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom