Class of 2021 - QB Riley Leonard (AL) Portal from Duke | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Riley Leonard (AL) Portal from Duke

He's a good QB coach but ..come on. The Mannings were going to be great no matter who coached them. Daniel Jones has accomplished nothing, yet, and the other Duke QB he coached that made the NFL flamed out. Like i said, he's a good QB coach but he isn't making or breaking a kids chances.

Recency effect.

They point to Jones as the #6 pick in the draft, that's front of mind for kids as a recent phenomenon, and gives Cutcliffe a lot of cache. It doesn't matter whether Jones has panned out or not -- and might actually be better for Cutcliffe that he hasn't panned out one way or the other yet -- all that matters is that he got drafted that high.

He's a good QB coach but ..come on. The Mannings were going to be great no matter who coached them. Daniel Jones has accomplished nothing, yet, and the other Duke QB he coached that made the NFL flamed out. Like i said, he's a good QB coach but he isn't making or breaking a kids chances.
Dino coaches Jimmy G for one year. Yet everyone acts like Dino is a QB guru.

Cut even got Heath Shuler drafted 3rd overall. If my kid was a QB looking for a school, how could you not consider Duke?

Last edited:
Im disappointed too, he isn't a polished passer but I liked his upside. With that said, they didn't put all their stock into his recruitment. They've been recruiting others just as hard.
According the article last week Dino told the kid he is priority one.

Sources told me he was disappointed over the size of the scoreboard and hated the new cursive helmet, that's what really pushed him to Duke.
Make jokes about it but clearly all this stuff is playing a role in recruiting. If you had a choice of spending 4 years at a hostile or a Hilton which would you pick. Why can Minnesota recruit. Their weather is a lot worse then ours. It’s snows there in October and is a ton colder. All this stuff isn’t important to you but to a kid it’s very important.

Make jokes about it but clearly all this stuff is playing a role in recruiting. If you had a choice of spending 4 years at a hostile or a Hilton which would you pick. Why can Minnesota recruit. Their weather is a lot worse then ours. It’s snows there in October and is a ton colder. All this stuff isn’t important to you but to a kid it’s very important.
Being a 'cuse fan may not be the healthy choice for you...we have several built in disadvantages for football that cuse will never overcome that seem to really bother you...first and foremost of those is finances as a private school in the great stae of NY (double whammy)

Cut even got Heath Shuler drafter 3rd overall. If my kid was a QB looking for a school, how could you not consider Duke?

By that logic, Ryan Leaf had an amazing QB coach in college, too? He was #2 and is considered by many to be the biggest bust ever.

Truth is, you have no idea why kids choose Minnesota, right? This is just your uninformed opinion, in my uninformed opinion.

We are going on 10 recruiting classes with 1 prime target QB recruit to get excited about and 1 lotto ticket that paid off big time. The only 2 guys that panned out were the 2 highest rated.

2012 - No QB
2013 - Austin Wilson (#79 Pro Style/Unranked), Mitch Kimble (#57 Dual Threat/Unranked)
2014 - AJ Long (#32 Dual Threat/Unranked), Alin Edouard (#18 Dual Threat/697 overall)
2015 - Eric Dungey (#20 Dual Threat/641 overall)
2016 - Rex Culpepper (#42 Pro Style/897 overall)
2017 - Tommy DeVito (#13 Pro Style/327 overall)
2018 - Chance Amie (#26 Dual Threat/900 overall)
2019 - David Summers (#32 Pro Style/unranked)
2020 - Dillon Markiewicz (#69 Pro Style/unranked), Jacobian Morgan (#79 Pro Style/unranked)
2021 - 15 reported offers so far, 9 committed elsewhere. Ones remaining we either have no chance or unlikely to accept a commit at this time.

By that logic, Ryan Leaf had an amazing QB coach in college, too? He was #2 and is considered by many to be the biggest bust ever.
Correct, he had Mike Price who got Leaf and Bledsoe picked in the top 2.

Make jokes about it but clearly all this stuff is playing a role in recruiting. If you had a choice of spending 4
years at a hostile or a Hilton which would you pick. Why can Minnesota recruit. Their weather is a lot worse then ours. It’s snows there in October and is a ton colder. All this stuff isn’t important to you but to a kid it’s very important.

There is literally 0% that is accurate in your post.

Recency effect.

They point to Jones as the #6 pick in the draft, that's front of mind for kids as a recent phenomenon, and gives Cutcliffe a lot of cache. It doesn't matter whether Jones has panned out or not -- and might actually be better for Cutcliffe that he hasn't panned out one way or the other yet -- all that matters is that he got drafted that high.
Whether it's deserved or not, Cutcliffe does have a rep as a QB whisperer. He has had 8 QBs play in the NFL who he mentored. I agree that the recency effect of Jones has added to this perception.

In any case, DeVito needs to have a big year to turn our QB recruiting and add to Dino's cache.

Truth is, you have no idea why kids choose Minnesota, right? This is just your uninformed opinion, in my uninformed opinion.
Well I spend a ton of time in Minnesota and I can tell you their recruiting Went up when they Upgraded the area the student athletes use.

There is literally 0% that is accurate in your post.
If you don’t think facilities makes a difference to these kids then you’re out of touch with the youth of america.

Being a 'cuse fan may not be the healthy choice for you...we have several built in disadvantages for football that cuse will never overcome that seem to really bother you...first and foremost of those is finances as a private school in the great stae of NY (double whammy)
I’m not looking for championships. I do expect the team to make a bowl every year and attract top 35 classes.

Well I spend a ton of time in Minnesota and I can tell you their recruiting Went up when they Upgraded the area the student athletes use.

$107 million is private funding was used. Donors...

Well, I live in MInnesota and I can tell you that your description about CNY vs. Minnesota weather is both objectively and subjectively false.

If you don’t think facilities makes a difference to these kids then you’re out of touch with the youth of america.

I think that you must be out of touch, with the BS you spouted above, and this latest straw man. Of course facilities matter.

You didn't say anything about facilities in the post I responded to, nor did I bring it up. Try to stay on point.

Well, I live in MInnesota and I can tell you that your description about CNY vs. Minnesota weather is both objectively and subjectively false.
lol okay Minnesota is warm then that’s why you guys are ice fishing in November thru april. You guys get less snow but it’s a ton colder there then in Syracuse.

Dino coaches Jimmy G for one year. Yet everyone acts like Dino is a QB guru.

I look more at the numbers (both adjusted for pace and raw) and think *any* QB should be drooling to play here. At Bowling Green and here, QB #'s are top half of their respective leagues while OL recruiting is um, not*. It's weird that we've struggled to get top tier kids outside of TD.

*I will say last years OL in particular would scare away some.

lol okay Minnesota is warm then that’s why you guys are ice fishing in November thru april. You guys get less snow but it’s a ton colder there then in Syracuse.

Since you seem to lack a firm grip on reality, let me set the record straight on several points. I it doesn't snow here in October. Can it? Sure, same as it could possibly snow as an outlier in Syracuse. Does it snow in October? Almost never.

Also, Minnesota isn't universally colder, like you are falsely stating. In fact, it has much warmer, nicer, no humidity summers compared to Syracuse. It is in the mid-80s and 100% blue skies most of the spring / summer, generally only overcast when it is raining. Given that you spend so much time here, I'm surprised you didn't notice. I've lived in both places, and at best it is a wash - and I lean toward Minnesota having much nicer warm months, due to consistently hotter temperatures [which I like], the lack of cloudiness, and the near zero humidity.

Winters suck, just like they do in CNY. But pointing to bad winters in Minnesota from Syracuse is the pot calling the kettle black, to put it mildly. It CAN get cold here in January and February. Sometimes, we have stretches of sub-zero weather -- that's partially why we get a ton less snow than Syracuse. But it isn't always like that -- for example, this year, we had three distinct snowfalls after December 18th, was in the 30s / 40s all January and February, and in Minneapolis there was no snow on the ground beginning in February. That lasted until we had a fluke snowstorm in April, where the snow melted the same day.

To summarize -- awesome six months over summer / fall, extended indian summers where it is warmer longer than in Syracuse. October - December is about the same, with no discernible difference compared to CNY weather. It can be colder, but we also get a lot less snow.

For someone who claims to spend a lot of time in Minnesota, you sure don't seem to be very knowledgeable about it -- you are operating under the mistaken assumption that this is the north pole.

The University of Minnesota recruits well because they've had a sustained run of success for about 10 years [with maybe only 1 or 2 down years]. During that span, they've gone to bowls, and sell that consistency on the recruiting trails.

It isn't about cursive on the helmets. It's about consistency and them selling their big year. WE had the big year two seasons ago, but failed to follow up. THAT's what hurt us, not what the uniforms look like, or other window dressing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom