QB situation going forward | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

QB situation going forward

if you are down 5 tds...is the qb really the thing we should be worried about?

I could have referenced any point in the game. Point is no matter how obvious a pass situation it is, we are incapable of doing it

The OL ain’t happening.

Shrader is fine.

Put a Brisly Estime and Etta Tawo on this team and we’re probably 7-3.

There’s no reason we can’t get at least one really fast WR that is a decent player, and either recruit and develop one relative stud(like Ishmael), or get a talented transfer that wants a bigger role like Etta Tawo.

I simply can’t believe the state of our WRs, given what we had in 16-17 - the early Babers years.
I think our talent at WR is just young. I love the film on Hatcher, Gadsen and Javonte Williams. We really need Gadsen or Alford to truly develop on the outside to have this offense working at an optimal level.

People held up shafer keeping Dungey in late in a blowout and getting hurt as a reason to fire him. He kept both GS and tucker into the final whistle. Imagine what could have happened if tucker had gotten hurt. Why not let backups play when you are down 40 with 5 minutes to go
That was very odd.

I hate to say this, but was Mike Leach right?
Great hands, good top end speed, physical.
Why not a wide receiver, Shrader?

Did anyone say our QB room was deep? I think we have a lot of them, but I doubt the quality is there to call it deep. If there is one on the roster that is the compromise, it's Lamson, from what some people have said. Here's hoping he's good enough to push Shrader after a redshirt year, but they're not creartng any controversy by putting him in even during garbage time. Even if he's the next McNabb, though, I still think the bigger issue is WR. Every week I see WRs on other teams, and not just elites, that make plays our guys don't.
I get what you are saying however I remember very well many were saying how awesome Devito was in practice and Dungey needs to be looking over his shoulder. We all know how that turned out. In addition, Dino never makes a change on his decisions until his back is against a wall.

We'll see.

It really worries me that we don't trust him to throw the ball into the end zone once on an "and goal" situation, or that we only throw 18 times in a game we trailed for 95% of. I get that there are other issues re personnel, but some of that has to come down to the QB. You can have the best running QB of all time but if he can't throw well enough to try to get you back into a game in a clear and obvious passing situation, thats just a problem

We'll see what happens.
The problem is the play calling of Dino and Gilbert. They are just horrible at it. It's not like GS is calling an audible because he doesn't want to throw it. It's the play call that stinks.

Mike Leach needs a pocket passer for his offense. In GS freshman year he was under a different scheme and coaches. He put up great numbers for a freshman in the SEC. Once Leach took over GS didn't fit that type of scheme.

I get what you are saying however I remember very well many were saying how awesome Devito was in practice and Dungey needs to be looking over his shoulder. We all know how that turned out. In addition, Dino never makes a change on his decisions until his back is against a wall.
What does that have to do with this year's depth at QB? The presence of both Dungey and Devito was why people were saying we were good there in 2018. This is 2021 and most were saying we were full of question marks.

Do you respond to random comments with stuff that has nothing to do with the conversation just to push your agenda?

Of course Mike Leach was right. Nobody thought Shrader was gonna come here and be a gunslinger. He's doing what people expected. He would look better, serviceable, as a passer if our WRs were decent.

I think he's probably a good TE with more weight. I don't know that he's quick enough for WR.

For next year, I find it unlikely that a good QB will transfer in with a starter solidly in place. Unless Babers flat out makes a promise to start him. Not likely.

Florange44

I remember all the TD fans saying nobody would ever transfer here with an NFL QB on our roster. NOBODY would even consider coming here we were all told.

So yeah, I don’t buy this.

There isn’t a QB on the roster tnat is a “pure pocket passer” so that point is irrelevant. Lamson is a couple years from showing up I’d say especially since he didnt even play a senior season.
I don't think it matters that he didn't play his senior year of high school. If he's getting a lot of run on the scout team, he's getting better work than he would in high school. If he's named back up next year, that would be a good sign.

I can’t recall what game I was watching yesterday or maybe it was Gameday but the announcer said the football factories don’t necessarily have the best coaches. They just have the Jimmys and Joes to make the coaches look good. They surmised that it’s more about recruiting than coaching.

I don’t agree with that last part as far as applying to all schools. Maybe true for football factories but the further away from a factory school a school is, coaching is more important.

Before the season, a lot of people were saying that it was deep. Granted, that included the one who bailed during the season, but there was a lot of buzz over it at the time. Some said it was the deepest ever.

We clearly have a lot of bodies, a number of whom will never see the field, but there is no proof that it is deep in terms of quality.

We here that a lot about a lot of positions. WR and oline has been deep for awhile.

What does that have to do with this year's depth at QB? The presence of both Dungey and Devito was why people were saying we were good there in 2018. This is 2021 and most were saying we were full of question marks.

Do you respond to random comments with stuff that has nothing to do with the conversation just to push your agenda

Do you respond to random comments with stuff that has nothing to do with the conversation just to push your agenda?
I was responding to this line in your post "If there is one on the roster that is the compromise, it's Lamson, from what some people have said."
My reply was that we all heard that before about Devito.
What is my agenda anyway?

GS can throw, it's this awful offense and game plan that Dino has installed.
The same awful offense that won the two games prior?

If you think he’s not limited as a thrower, I’m not sure what to think lol

Wasn’t Shafer’s last straw the fact he left Dungey in a 41-10 game late in 4th quarter against Ville and he got injured?

Easily could have happened to Tucker or Shrader yesterday.
Next time we are scheduled to play at L-ville, we ought just stay home and take an extra bye week. Nothing good happens down there.

I'm friends with a past WR on one of our good/decent teams. He says our WRs do not run good routes. Although yesterday he texted me that we need to find a way to throw the ball, so maybe some of it on the QB and play calling. But games prior to this he blamed it more on the WRs.

I'm friends with a past WR on one of our good/decent teams. He says our WRs do not run good routes. Although yesterday he texted me that we need to find a way to throw the ball, so maybe some of it on the QB and play calling. But games prior to this he blamed it more on the WRs.
Which is concerning, since we dedicate two (2) coaches to the WR group.

Rule of thumb (and I know you already know this): NEVER listen to 90% of the preseason hype around here.

The single most important room on the team is the QB room. We need to over recruit this position every cycle. Let the "best" rise to the top and attrition will take care of the numbers. I know that's easier said than done, but I think it needs to be part of the culture and philosophy, even at the cost of numbers at other positions. GS is QB1 and his playmaking ability has made a big difference, relative to our standard of making a difference anyway. But, this is a process and pholosophy that can never end at SU - find or develop the next QB1 now and hope that he can beat out Shrader for 2021-22 season. That's not meant in any way to be anti Shrader (I think we can win with him), it's about being pro program development.

To a lesser degree, but probably next in line, we need to continue to add quality depth and numbers to the OL. I know there are some very good posters who think we are ok here. I do not and I don't think the staff does either.

That's great, in theory, but we seem to miss on our top 4 or 5 QBs every single cycle.

Not sure about that. His senior season was canceled and he only played varsity his junior year and was already getting looks. Not sure what he can do for us. Would not be giving up on him before he plays.
A pure pocket passer will not work at su. Reasons have been stated repeatedly before. Yes we need a decent passer. We also need better wr and a competent game plan. Gets those last two and see how things go.
Wasn’t Lamson an All-Stare safety as a sophomore?

This thread is nuts, Shrader has led the offense to scores of 24, 30, 37, 14, 41, 21 and 3. One clunker one meh game against Clemson. Yea he isn't the best passer but he has got it done most of the year. I have faith next week will be much better. Burn the game tape from yesterday and move on. Do y'all remember prior to Schrader taking over, we could only fathom scoring 37, 30, or 41 against p5 teams. Kid will figure it out and be better.

Our whole game plan is around Shredder or Tucker breaking regular plays. The WRs and TEs are so bad. I have no idea why Johnson and Queeley play

Johnson and Queely are not P5 D1 receivers, shocking how bad Babers recruitment of Wrs had been.