QB Situation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

QB Situation

I have no problem with taking Dungey out in that last series of the second quarter. With the big lead, I saw it like the way Phil Jackson used to pull MJ at the end of the 3rd quarter to give him added rest. I figured when Devito started the third quarter it was a matter of Dungey being dinged up and Dino trying to save him from himself. I feel like if we're up 80 and Dungey is still in the game, he's still gonna be calling his own number and trying to dropkick LBs. Dino hoped the D would finish the game and ED wouldn't be running into helmet holding players on the sideline or power cleaning defenders. He waited too long to get him back in when it was obvious TD wasn't comfortable and the defense hadn't figured out that the WMU WR runs a 10.5 100m dash.

I thought Devito actually played well. What I saw is the team quit when Dungey got pulled. Butler straight gave up on his routes, the oline didnt seem interested in blocking and the d got flat footed and looked pitiful. They quit. Not good. Something is not right.

I think it’s pretty clear cut what Dino was thinking.

A.) No need to put Dungey in situations he doesn’t need to be when we (thought) they game was under control. Obviously he got dinged up after that stiff arm, he’s too important to risk.

B.) Get Tommy some meaningful snaps. I know he struggled but t was more mental than anything. We will need him if Dungey goes down, just like Officer.

C.) He did jump the gun a little. Should have rested Dungey halfway through the third. A learning moment.

D.) He had too much faith in his D.

A.) No need to put Dungey in situations he doesn’t need to be when we (thought) they game was under control. Obviously he got dinged up after that stiff arm, he’s too important to risk.

B.) Get Tommy some meaningful snaps. I know he struggled but t was more mental than anything. We will need him if Dungey goes down, just like Officer.

C.) He did jump the gun a little. Should have rested Dungey halfway through the third. A learning moment.

I think that is the bottom line. WMU was gonna get it going eventually offensively but he trusted the D too much like you said. Too many explosive skill players. Devito was fine. Wasn’t his fault Ravian lost that ball. Devito is going to need help out there at some point. We don’t have the kind of skill players yet for Devito to flourish yet and I like Devito a lot. Dungey will need to keep doing his Vick/Tebow/Vince Young stuff to keep us in games.

I thought Devito actually played well. What I saw is the team quit when Dungey got pulled. Butler straight gave up on his routes, the oline didnt seem interested in blocking and the d got flat footed and looked pitiful. They quit. Not good. Something is not right.
I didn't see that. I really think Dungey just covers up a lot of stuff for us. Devito just isn't capable of that, at least not yet.

To me this whole thing is fairly simple. Had Babers let Dubgey finish out the half it would have done a few things.

1. We may have scored but regardless it is unlikely we provide WMU with any reason to think they can get back in.

2. You can prepare your team at the half for DeVito coming in and ensure they are prepared.

3. It doesn’t allow WMU to do much preparation for DeVito. While I don’t think this is a huge factor it does change their approach. My guess is Babers did it so WMU didn’t know who to plan for in the second half.

I don’t personally criticize the decision to get him reps at all. He just didn’t prepare the team for it, and didn’t bring Dungey back in early enough for me.

Had he brought him back earlier perhaps DeVito comes back in to run out the clock later with the game out of hand.

I think Dino had/has faith in TD as well.

Dino sees these guys all the time and I have faith that he had a plan when the big lead all of a sudden happened and I have no problem with the move. Pierce fumble seemed to change the big Mo SU had and went to WMU big time as they seized the opportunity. They get a "moral" victory while SU gets a real one.

SMH. Who comes to message boards and replies to multiple posts in the thread they “didn’t read”.
Either read it and offer something, or piss off and go share cool and funny memes with other people that don’t want to read.
First - Shake your head some more then. I responded to one post that I didn't want to read as a joke, to a poster that I have a lot of respect for.

Second - I will read what I want to read, and as far as pissing off, you can go do the same.

I am on here a lot and read plenty.

I'm really not sure what was going through Dino's head. He jumped the gun way too early, and was stubborn about his decision and waiting far too long. I know we got the win and people will say that's all that matters, but this was a perfect chance to set the tone for the season and get the team (and to a far lesser extent) the fans confidence. We were on our way to just that. Dungey had led scoring drives on each of the first 6 drives. Defense was playing outstanding. And then the change. I'll give him that Dungey got dinged, but you can tell he was good to go and basically pleading with his actions to be put back in. The team lost their edge when this happened. Both offensively and defensively. These guys aren't stupid. They know who the heart and soul of the team is. Dungey is the leader and needs to be out there if he is capable. We saw last year what happened to the defense when he was out. He effects both sides of the ball. I love Dino more than anything, but this was mind blowing. You can tell he desperately wanted to get TD in there. The way he didn't name a starter, and let them split snaps in camp told you this. He could have lost the team with this move we weren't able to rebound. It was really inexcusable. There is a time and a place where TD should get some series. Today was not it. Not the first game when it finally looks like we are clicking on both sides of the ball. Keep ED in there through the 3rd or even half way through the 3rd. Be up by 6 or 7 scores and then get TD some work. It takes pressure off of TD, and the team doesn't lose their edge. Now it's going to be very difficult to give ED extended series early in the game. By wanting to get him in early it may have damaged playing him too much from here on out. Finally, ED was obviously distressed. Once again the players are aware of this. It had a damaging effect. I don't think it was a coincidence the defense seemed to collapse at the same time. He's that rare player that greatly effects both sides of the ball. Hopefully Dino is much smarter with this going forward.

This was a nice win, but for some reason i was left wanting more.

1-0 and Onto Wagner

:)

Butler straight gave up on his routes, the oline didnt seem interested in blocking and the d got flat footed and looked pitiful. They quit. Not good. Something is not right.

I agree with this 1000% The play that stuck out to me was Devito taking that shot up the left sideline on the go route and butler literally joggin to it at the end, when if he ran hard or dove would have had it. It was pathetic to watch. every other school seems to have wide out that come up with these. truthfull our lack of good WRs is the downfall to this team

I was 100% confident Dungey would be back out in the third, and so were others. The fact he wasn't, is a problem for me. We won, yes. That's what it's about. But really strange tonight. Can't happen. Not with this team and program.

I have a conspiracy theory -- a minor conspiracy theory and I'm still a Dino fan so I hope people don't start campaigning for my excommunication from the board.

Here goes: I think Dino didn't exactly lay out this plan to Dungey (he said as much in the presser). They used him at the end of the half and and Dungey didn't react super positively (b/c he's a competitor who also knows the game isn't over. They go in at the half and Dino and Dungey don't have a real positive exchange and Dino wants to prove a point coming out in the second half. Eventually the pi$$ing match starts to lead to us basically pi$$ing away our lead. So at that point he has no choice but to put Dungey back in.

No idea if there is any truth to that. But I agree with what was stated here -- wasn't the time or the place. The way to play it would have been to have Dungey play the last series of the half. With 3:00 left, you potentially get another score. Then you get the ball back at the start of the third and you run Dungey for two more series. If you get one stop and two scores in those three series, the game is completely over and you have 1.5 quarters to run with TD.

Wanting to get TD in the game makes sense. A coach with a program scrounging for wins messing around with a game they need to win, however, makes very little sense to me. Strange move by Dino and absolutely something he is open to criticism for (in case you're in the camp that you can never criticize the Orange head coach).

We might be one of the few that didn't think he played badly. There were a lot of other things happening by the rest of the team that led to the collapse. TD had some bad throws, was a little slow to react at times but overall I thought he played pretty well. He ran the ball far better than I expected, really good with his feet.

I have a conspiracy theory -- a minor conspiracy theory and I'm still a Dino fan so I hope people don't start campaigning for my excommunication from the board.

Here goes: I think Dino didn't exactly lay out this plan to Dungey (he said as much in the presser). They used him at the end of the half and and Dungey didn't react super positively (b/c he's a competitor who also knows the game isn't over. They go in at the half and Dino and Dungey don't have a real positive exchange and Dino wants to prove a point coming out in the second half. Eventually the pi$$ing match starts to lead to us basically pi$$ing away our lead. So at that point he has no choice but to put Dungey back in.

No idea if there is any truth to that. But I agree with what was stated here -- wasn't the time or the place. The way to play it would have been to have Dungey play the last series of the half. With 3:00 left, you potentially get another score. Then you get the ball back at the start of the third and you run Dungey for two more series. If you get one stop and two scores in those three series, the game is completely over and you have 1.5 quarters to run with TD.

Wanting to get TD in the game makes sense. A coach with a program scrounging for wins messing around with a game they need to win, however, makes very little sense to me. Strange move by Dino and absolutely something he is open to criticism for (in case you're in the camp that you can never criticize the Orange head coach).
I can believe this. I always think back to the opening press conference where he got mad that the room wasnt closing their eyes.

Hopefully there isn't any friction on the team like that and Butler didn't slow down on that long pass because it was TD and not ED throwing him the ball.

Hopefully there isn't any friction on the team like that and Butler didn't slow down on that long pass because it was TD and not ED throwing him the ball.

That was weird -- I noticed that too. Probably speaks more of Butler either way if it happened. But I think friction is unavoidable to a certain extent with really competitive alpha dudes. I'm not saying it was a massive issue, just a blip on the radar. I'm also completely guessing so maybe I'm wrong.

First - Shake your head some more then. I responded to one post that I didn't want to read as a joke, to a poster that I have a lot of respect for.

Second - I will read what I want to read, and as far as pissing off, you can go do the same.

I am on here a lot and read plenty.

TSDR. Too Salty, Didn’t Read.

Cmon, you deserved it. Nothing personal though.

That was weird -- I noticed that too. Probably speaks more of Butler either way if it happened. But I think friction is unavoidable to a certain extent with really competitive alpha dudes. I'm not saying it was a massive issue, just a blip on the radar. I'm also completely guessing so maybe I'm wrong.
Butler alligator arms all the QBs equally.

Time for Dino to alligator arm Butler

not buying it since dungey was dinged up.

FWIW, every time Dungey plays, Oregon, Oregon St. and every other west coast team kicks themselves in the ass for letting a local kid get away. Cross country no less. Short of Lamar Jackson, he's been the most exciting QB the last 2 years and today.
Do you mean in the ACC? I'm pretty sure that Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold would have something to say about that. I'm not taking anything away from Dungey, but he is not at that level.

Dungey played after that. He could have played.

Dino proved himself to be as stubborn as all other football coaches and it nearly cost us. The defense didn't help matters, but as soon as the game got to within two scores Dungey should have been back in.

I’ll admit my conspiracy theory is purely conjecture but Dungey was putting his helmet on the last two series then went in and took a bunch more hits. He probably got dinged up slightly but that’s not why DeVito played — or at least not why he started the third quarter. A

And, by the way, if you’re truly worried about an injury, you can’t put the kid back in. That’s insane. It’s a game. If Dungey really hurt his shoulder such that you didn’t feel comfortable playing him, then don’t play him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom