QB Situation | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

QB Situation

Not a huge fan of, but can live with putting in DeVito so early. What’s baffling is how long it took to put Dungey back in. We dodged a bullet. A win is a win. I’ll take it.

I watched the game with neutral fans with no dog in the fight and after our first possession they said take out your QB and save him. TD is a good player that wasn't mop up duty.

Dungey is sooooo good tho we play in the ACC and he's the biggest beast in the league.

I'm happy Dino is trusting QB2. Our system drags out games there's extra possessions when you play this way. Use the backup.

I think Coach Babers is an unconventional Coach. He does things his way; and as a leader that what he should do. He goes for it on fourth down, I don’t always agree; but it is his team. I was glad he put in TD. He needs the work, he hasn’t played in a real game for over a year. This was good for him: and in my opinion good for the team, someday we will need him. (Hopefully more of a need next year.). I believe that TD was put in too early. Who cares, it is not my decision. It was Coach Babers decision. I still believe in Coach Babers, ED, TD, and Syracuse Football.

1 down, at least 5 more to go!
Great post totally agree!

I can believe this. I always think back to the opening press conference where he got mad that the room wasnt closing their eyes.

It seems pretty logical really. I also think Dino will double down and use Devito like this again, he seems to like to do things more when he’s questioned on it.

It seems pretty logical really. I also think Dino will double down and use Devito like this again, he seems to like to do things more when he’s questioned on it.

The Marty McFly complex? Nobody calls me chicken?

I love the fact that Dino beats to his own drum and coaches how he wants to, not what the book says.

I think that's exactly it.
I saw the exact same thing in another game last night, maybe Auburn. I rewinded the play just to make sure. The guy dropped back, sat there for about 2-3 seconds, his protection was holding up fine, and decides to roll to the right allowing the DE to get free from the tackle. He ended up throwing it out of bounds.

It seems like a lot of these mobile QB's just don't do a good job of waiting to feel pressure and then stepping up in the pocket or side stepping. They make the job of their oline harder.

I saw the exact same thing in another game last night, maybe Auburn. I rewinded the play just to make sure. The guy dropped back, sat there for about 2-3 seconds, his protection was holding up fine, and decides to roll to the right allowing the DE to get free from the tackle. He ended up throwing it out of bounds.

It seems like a lot of these mobile QB's just don't do a good job of waiting to feel pressure and then stepping up in the pocket or side stepping. They make the job of their oline harder.

I think that is something ED struggles with...waiting in the pocket and having faith in his OL and WR's to get open. I know...easier to say than to do and it opens up being popped in the blindside as well. The really good mobile QB's can do this and it is very difficult to do when you have the feet to move. Players like Brady know they can't move and that pocket has to be formed and used. ED, a lot of randomness is involved.

I think that is something ED struggles with...waiting in the pocket and having faith in his OL and WR's to get open. I know...easier to say than to do and it opens up being popped in the blindside as well. The really good mobile QB's can do this and it is very difficult to do when you have the feet to move. Players like Brady know they can't move and that pocket has to be formed and used. ED, a lot of randomness is involved.
It was one of the things that made McNabb so great and I think could define the difference between a running qb and a mobile qb. The way McNabb could sit it the pocket and at the last second side step, step up, or spin away from pressure was brilliant.

It was one of the things that made McNabb so great and I think could define the difference between a running qb and a mobile qb. The way McNabb could sit it the pocket and at the last second side step, step up, or spin away from pressure was brilliant.

Agree, he was and his OL lines weren't the best either.

It is hard to do and when you have those 250LB plus guys wanted to tear your head off I can understand wanting to trust your feet and getting the heck out of there ASAP. ED...if he really wants to play the NFL, has to learn how to do this but I'm not sure the protection is set for that...have to ask someone in the know on what the exact scheme is for that.

I know we are fine. That's what I am saying we absolutely dominated when the guys who should be in were in., but i guess it was too long so i'll keep this to a couple sentences for ya
Paragraphs

Tommy’s gonna get burn, Tommy’s gonna get better.
I was actually watching ped state almost lose to Appalachian st and ped st qb reminds me a lot of TD. Same size and speed. Td will be good

I have a conspiracy theory -- a minor conspiracy theory and I'm still a Dino fan so I hope people don't start campaigning for my excommunication from the board.

Here goes: I think Dino didn't exactly lay out this plan to Dungey (he said as much in the presser). They used him at the end of the half and and Dungey didn't react super positively (b/c he's a competitor who also knows the game isn't over. They go in at the half and Dino and Dungey don't have a real positive exchange and Dino wants to prove a point coming out in the second half. Eventually the pi$$ing match starts to lead to us basically pi$$ing away our lead. So at that point he has no choice but to put Dungey back in.

No idea if there is any truth to that. But I agree with what was stated here -- wasn't the time or the place. The way to play it would have been to have Dungey play the last series of the half. With 3:00 left, you potentially get another score. Then you get the ball back at the start of the third and you run Dungey for two more series. If you get one stop and two scores in those three series, the game is completely over and you have 1.5 quarters to run with TD.

Wanting to get TD in the game makes sense. A coach with a program scrounging for wins messing around with a game they need to win, however, makes very little sense to me. Strange move by Dino and absolutely something he is open to criticism for (in case you're in the camp that you can never criticize the Orange head coach).

No way. I can’t believe there was an exchange where Dino has to proove a point to a player that he’s the boss.

I'm also glad he put in TD. ED was getting beaten up and needed a bit of a breather. Let's not wreck him on the 1st day.

Yes, you can put some of the sputtering on O on TD's shoulders, but not A) Pierce's fumble B) The meltdown on defense

I am still beguiled by the fact that as soon as Dungey leaves, our defense crumbles. It happened Friday and it happened last year.

This is the root of the issue. Can’t be throwing Riley out there. Butler is a third receiver at best anywhere decent. Our backs are average, still go down too easily IMO, and lack instincts. The defense...not going to go there.

We need playmakers on offense BADLY if this is supposed to be some great offense. Dungey is going to get killed one of these games doing too much...again.
I agree but if Neal and Custis don't make great catches off poor ED throws I'm not sure that game turns around either. Our playmakers are unknown but kids other than ED made plays.

I'm also glad he put in TD. ED was getting beaten up and needed a bit of a breather. Let's not wreck him on the 1st day.

Yes, you can put some of the sputtering on O on TD's shoulders, but not A) Pierce's fumble B) The meltdown on defense

I am still beguiled by the fact that as soon as Dungey leaves, our defense crumbles. It happened Friday and it happened last year.

When ED leaves there is a lot more of a chance of a 3 or 4 and out for the SU offense thus maybe a big reason why they struggle?

Tommy’s gonna get burn, Tommy’s gonna get better.

Sure. But that’s the baseline.

Dino is paid well to do it correctly, right time and place.

I love Dino. I also think TD eventually will be an all-ACC candidate.

But he has ED right now. He’s the best QB right now. He’s also our best RB right now, unfortunately.

Our defense has potential but serious work to do during the season to tighten it up so our O has to score and stay on the field.

Get TD the reps he needs to 1) be prepared for next year and 2) be functional if ED gets injured.

However, if the game isn’t put away and ED isn’t injured, TD needs to be on the sidelines.

I was always thinking there might a problem between ED and TD. I only see them in pictures of the together if all the QBs are together or are on opposite sides of the picture. It doesn’t ever seem they were interacting. Friday night, I saw them sitting together on the sideline. I thought that was great.

I was always thinking there might a problem between ED and TD. I only see them in pictures of the together if all the QBs are together or are on opposite sides of the picture. It doesn’t ever seem they were interacting. Friday night, I saw them sitting together on the sideline. I thought that was great.

1 is a Senior and the other is 2 years behind him. I remember playing college ball and as a Freshman you really get treated like a Freshman (unless you are a star). Even being only 2 years apart you tend to be closer friends with the guys closer to your class. Especially with football. With such a huge team there are certainly cliques and groups. I guess there would be more of an opportunity for these guys to communicate because they are in the same position group, but I'm sure there are people on the team who rarely ever associate even during team stuff. Doesn't mean they dislike each other, but i don't think it should be assumed they are exactly friends.

I think our QB situation is that we've got a senior QB we can believe in, a highly regarded redshirt freshman that's just getting started, an x factor true freshman, and a guy that's tough enough to beat cancer basically in an off-season.

I’m pretty sure Dungey took that big shot to the ribs right before Devito came in to end the 2nd quarter. I’m sure Dungey was stinging from that shot and Dino wanted to give him a breather with a 27 point lead. Then he got stubborn and fell apart. But I don’t think he had alterior motives or anything crazy he just wants to have Dungey for a full year and will play Devito when appropriate.

No way. I can’t believe there was an exchange where Dino has to proove a point to a player that he’s the boss.

I’m pretty sure the only points he proved were:

A) how insanely valuable Dungey is to this team on both sides of the ball

B) how absurd it was to take him out when two more good drives put the nail in the coffin

And C) how laughably ridiculous the idea of a nip and tuck quarterback battle in fall camp was.

The bottom line on d-swinging contests is at least make sure you’re on the right side of it. Dino wasn’t.

As a true QB I can see Devito being better. He MAY even know the offense better, have better instincts, etc. But, this team can’t win with the current talent around him if Devito were to play. Need Dungey BADLY to do what he does and be the lead back, basically. His improv stuff is great when guys are covered and the pocket collapses. Devito would get put in the hospital. I honestly wonder how Devito will do here or if it is the right place for him. The OL still would need to get better. Really want to see these new and young receivers to see if they ‘pop’ on the screen.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the only points he proved were:

A) how insanely valuable Dungey is to this team on both sides of the ball

B) how absurd it was to take him out when two more good drives put the nail in the coffin

And C) how laughably ridiculous the idea of a nip and tuck quarterback battle in fall camp was.

The bottom line on d-swinging contests is at least make sure you’re on the right side of it. Dino wasn’t.

A d-swinging contest? Unless I’m misinterpreting what contest you’re talking about, it was nothing like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom