QB Situation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

QB Situation

Dungey played after that. He could have played.

Dino proved himself to be as stubborn as all other football coaches and it nearly cost us. The defense didn't help matters, but as soon as the game got to within two scores Dungey should have been back in.

He played after that but that wasn’t the desire with a banged up shoulder.

I’ll admit my conspiracy theory is purely conjecture but Dungey was putting his helmet on the last two series then went in and took a bunch more hits. He probably got dinged up slightly but that’s not why DeVito played — or at least not why he started the third quarter. A

And, by the way, if you’re truly worried about an injury, you can’t put the kid back in. That’s insane. It’s a game. If Dungey really hurt his shoulder such that you didn’t feel comfortable playing him, then don’t play him.

It obviously wasn’t a major injury. But still an injury. Small injuries can get worse. But it got to the point that Babers was willing to take the chance.

It obviously wasn’t a major injury. But still an injury. Small injuries can get worse. But it got to the point that Babers was sulking to take the chance.

Maybe. Who knows? Dungey looked confused on the sideline, wasn’t getting treatment from trainers and they had an entire halftime to discuss the injury. If he was available and you felt comfortable risking it, you should know that coming out of half. You also have an opportunity to slam the door shut with a strong few possessions coming out of the half so the injury narrative is less believable to me than the alternative storylines. Babers himself indicated he wanted to get DeVito snaps.

It obviously wasn’t a major injury. But still an injury. Small injuries can get worse. But it got to the point that Babers was sulking to take the chance.

Small injuries can get worse, correct.

However, if you’re the AD and you see your head coach take out his best player - by far - and not put him back in until we have nearly given up all of a 27-point lead... what do you say?

If we somehow lose that game and Dungey isn’t hurt, that is worse than Shafer’s 59-0 debacle.

Small injuries can get worse, correct.

However, if you’re the AD and you see your head coach take out his best player - by far - and not put him back in until we have nearly given up all of a 27-point lead... what do you say?

If we somehow lose that game and Dungey isn’t hurt, that is worse than Shafer’s 59-0 debacle.

I think he should have put him in when it got to 13. But I fully get why he took him out originally and waited. An hour or two after the game he has his shoulder wrapped in ice like a pitcher after throwing 9 innings. He either bruised it, strained something, felt something in there himself, who knows. But people coming up with crazy reasons are making it more complicated than it is.

I’ll take the injury angle over

Babers is a meathead
Babers is an idiot
Babers is the dumbest coach ever
Devito was promised x series
Babers was teaching Dungey a lesson

Babers has to make decisions concerning the present and the future of this program. Dungey is clearly the present and DeVito is likely the future. Dungey committed himself to improving. He is in top physical condition and could likely play himself into a late round NFL pick. Dungey is the respected leader of this team and Babers knows he can be counted on to deliver. As others have pointed out, the ceiling for this team is likely 6-6. I hope better days are coming for this program and if that is to happen we need DeVito to be the man. DeVito redshirted so he is extremely rusty. There is no preseason so Dino needed to get DeVito live game action. I really hope that Dungey can play all 12 (maybe 13) games this year, but unfortunately recent history shows he will likely miss a little time. Dungey rushed for 200 yards, that is not sustainable against ACC linebackers. We led the WMU game wire-to-wire and won comfortably. Dino made an intelligent and calculated decision to get DeVito experience against one of the easier opponents on our very difficult schedule.

Last edited:
I thought Devito actually played well. What I saw is the team quit when Dungey got pulled. Butler straight gave up on his routes, the oline didnt seem interested in blocking and the d got flat footed and looked pitiful. They quit. Not good. Something is not right.
To me this is a little strong ("they quit"), but I think the whole squad downshifted and thought they could coast in. Lesson hopefully learned. Meanwhile, I loved what I saw front DeVito. He's a heck of a talent with some nice speed that I did not anticipate. This is, however, definitely Dungey's squad, both spiritually and physically.

I thought Devito actually played well. What I saw is the team quit when Dungey got pulled. Butler straight gave up on his routes, the oline didnt seem interested in blocking and the d got flat footed and looked pitiful. They quit. Not good. Something is not right.
Butler shoulda been sat on the sidelines the first time he slowed down on a route. No excuse for that crap.

We might be one of the few that didn't think he played badly. There were a lot of other things happening by the rest of the team that led to the collapse. TD had some bad throws, was a little slow to react at times but overall I thought he played pretty well. He ran the ball far better than I expected, really good with his feet.
We should all remember that TD had Pierce fumble killing one drive, Butler do his usual half ass effort on the go route that he should have gotten to and caught , a 48 yard pass gain off a nice scramble was called back for a hold, and Servias stepped on his foot on a third and two. Julian Whigham said it best, the offensive line stopped blocking, the receivers were running bad routs, getting no separation and were slow on their routes and the defense went to sleep. None of that is TD's fault.

FWIW, every time Dungey plays, Oregon, Oregon St. and every other west coast team kicks themselves in the ass for letting a local kid get away. Cross country no less. Short of Lamar Jackson, he's been the most exciting QB the last 2 years and today.

And because of his style and Dungey's inability to avoid injury, I applaud Dino for putting in ED in a somewhat weird situation...because it very likely will come up this season.

Stayed with him too long. That's the mistake. Like Shafer coming back to the Dome, Dino underestimated (or learned) that ED is the heart of the team, not just aorta of the offense.

On to game two.

good experience for Tommy to build on. Bad timing for some wr’s and db’s to forget what sport they were playing.

Servais was not looking himself either.

I didn't see that. I really think Dungey just covers up a lot of stuff for us. Devito just isn't capable of that, at least not yet.
In all fairness to TD, the OL played poorly in front of him as it did for ED. The big difference is that ED has the experience and savvy to make something from nothing.

I'll never understand why people complain that ED doesn't go through his progressions well enough. Most of the time he is improvising because his protection breaks down. Coaches often state that teams improve the most between the 1st and 2nd games. Hopefully the OL comes together in time for the FSU game.

Great take Bees and I'll add one theory.

I honestly believe Dino decided to "take the heat" for leaving TD too long rather than admit that ED got dinged and perpetuate the "Dungey can't stay healthy" story.

In other words, HCDB was attempting to protect his leader's health and reputation/draft status. No way he did it for the reasons he stated in his post game presser.

Last edited:
something else to consider; WMU spirits were lifted when ED went out. When a team scores on every drive it has to be disheartening.

In all fairness to TD, the OL played poorly in front of him as it did for ED. The big difference is that ED has the experience and savvy to make something from nothing.

I'll never understand why people complain that ED doesn't go through his progressions well enough. Most of the time he is improvising because his protection breaks down. Coaches often state that teams improve the most between the 1st and 2nd games. Hopefully the OL comes together in time for the FSU game.

ED was running through giant holes and had enough time to pass. The OL was ok while he was in.

Putting in out backup that early, and the ensuing collapse was frightening. The thing that seems to be lost on some people is that we put in out backup, because by the second quarter, we were completely dominating a team that we were not expected to dominate. Other than vs. a 1AA opponent, or due to injury, when was the last time we played so well, that we had to consider putting in the backup QB? It wasn't handled well obviously. He was put in too soon, and left in too long. Let's be honest...we are new to this whole "domination" thing. Maybe we just aren't used to it.

Another takeaway, and I haven't read through all the threads, so forgive me if it's been mentioned, is the fact that despite surrendering our huge lead, and giving all the momentum to WMU, our team buckled down, executed, took control of the game, the way a superior team should do vs an inferior opponent. How many times have we seen teams give away momentum, and not be able to stop the snowball effect, only to lose the game. Let's be honest...I'll bet there were plenty of people on this board, who thought we would lose once they were within 1 score...myself included. Instead they went back up by 20 to put the game away before surrendering a late TD.

ED was running through giant holes and had enough time to pass. The OL was ok while he was in.
Yes, on designed runs...but the pocket rarely held up long enough for either QB to run through their progressions.

We might be one of the few that didn't think he played badly. There were a lot of other things happening by the rest of the team that led to the collapse. TD had some bad throws, was a little slow to react at times but overall I thought he played pretty well. He ran the ball far better than I expected, really good with his feet.
Ditto

He does get flushed from the pocket, but at times the pocket is holding up fine and he decides to roll out of it. It's as if he has an internal clock that tells him to go regardless of whether he is receiving pressure.

He does get flushed from the pocket, but at times the pocket is holding up fine and he decides to roll out of it. It's as if he has an internal clock that tells him to go regardless of whether he is receiving pressure.
I think that's exactly it.

Another take ... great this happened in the first game. Something to work with the team on. Mentally they need to see TD as their leader as well. I am so glad ED leads us but it has to be tough to be his backup — he casts a big shadow (which is great.)

Butler’s performance caught me off guard - I had been talking him up but him dogging it on that long pass happened right in front of me. Clear as day. This after those drops. One of our worst performances by a WR in a long time (that says a lot!)

The defensive collapse was 100% Scoop not being able to cover their speedster WR. That opened the door for their run game which featured a great back. Eliminate that mismatch and I think little changes in the second half.

Just need to find a 1B for next year. Devito is good. But he's small and our system requires the QB to run and get hit. I like our duo. That was a pretty good team we outclassed yesterday harder than you think to win 70 to 10.

I think Coach Babers is an unconventional Coach. He does things his way; and as a leader that what he should do. He goes for it on fourth down, I don’t always agree; but it is his team. I was glad he put in TD. He needs the work, he hasn’t played in a real game for over a year. This was good for him: and in my opinion good for the team, someday we will need him. (Hopefully more of a need next year.). I believe that TD was put in too early. Who cares, it is not my decision. It was Coach Babers decision. I still believe in Coach Babers, ED, TD, and Syracuse Football.

1 down, at least 5 more to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom