Class of 2016 - QB/TE (Jasen) Jay Rose (CT) Leaving UConn | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB/TE (Jasen) Jay Rose (CT) Leaving UConn

I don't really think we need to bring him in as a QB. I know we have Rex coming in and even though he got hurt we are out trying to sway or flip D. Moore. I wouldn't want to risk losing them Rex, and Dave over Rose. Just my opinion. Plus we are going hard after Kasim Hill, Jack Coan, and Hendon Hooker. I know the more the merrier at time, but there is only room for one QB at a time. Just saying I wouldn't want to jeopardize any of these QBs that I mentioned. We are in need for a TE, yes J. Rose, or Mark Michraud. Just MHO.

DownTheField said:
Did Desmond Conner go to SU or is he just an Orange fan?

Wrote for the Post Standard.

Wrote for the Post Standard.
Oh wow I didn't know that. He seems to be an unabashed fan of both SU football and basketball. We could use someone like him at the Post Standard now. They could take Bud's spot.

Edit: apparently I had never looked at his Twitter. Part of his bio says "OrangeNation #44"

Oh wow I didn't know that. He seems to be an unabashed fan of both SU football and basketball. We could use someone like him at the Post Standard now. They could take Bud's spot.

Edit: apparently I had never looked at his Twitter. Part of his bio says "OrangeNation #44"
Reporters shouldn't be unabashed fans of the teams they cover. It's better for everyone that way.

I don't really think we need to bring him in as a QB. I know we have Rex coming in and even though he got hurt we are out trying to sway or flip D. Moore. I wouldn't want to risk losing them Rex, and Dave over Rose. Just my opinion. Plus we are going hard after Kasim Hill, Jack Coan, and Hendon Hooker. I know the more the merrier at time, but there is only room for one QB at a time. Just saying I wouldn't want to jeopardize any of these QBs that I mentioned. We are in need for a TE, yes J. Rose, or Mark Michraud. Just MHO.
I'm wondering if Moore is a back-up plan for Rose.

Since he's deciding either today or tomorrow, I'll throw it out there: gut feeling says UConn. He wants to play QB, and he has a legit chance at being a 3-4 year starter at UConn. With SU, there's no guarantee he even stays at QB, and even if he does, I think his window to start is 1-2 years, and that includes beating out Rex.

Since he's deciding either today or tomorrow, I'll throw it out there: gut feeling says UConn. He wants to play QB, and he has a legit chance at being a 3-4 year starter at UConn. With SU, there's no guarantee he even stays at QB, and even if he does, I think his window to start is 1-2 years, and that includes beating out Rex.
Have to agree here. Frankly, if it's a TE we are really looking for, recruit a TE and be done with it.

Have to agree here. Frankly, if it's a TE we are really looking for, recruit a TE and be done with it.

Yep no need to try and rope the kid in with the possibility of being a QB for us. I think they want him as a TE and they know they can't get him by recruiting him as a TE. If he chooses us, great, but seems like it may be in his best interest to go play for Diaco

Yep no need to try and rope the kid in with the possibility of being a QB for us. I think they want him as a TE and they know they can't get him by recruiting him as a TE. If he chooses us, great, but seems like it may be in his best interest to go play for Diaco

I still think we need to take another QB besides Rex. Hunt probably won't get a medical redshirt. And I don't think Wilson or Long are going to see much of the field. Need numbers for the future.

I still think we need to take another QB besides Rex. Hunt probably won't get a medical redshirt. And I don't think Wilson or Long are going to see much of the field. Need numbers for the future.
Moore? I think he's the one they want and were hoping Rose would hold off for a while. Also, is Rex a January enrollee?

Moore? I think he's the one they want and were hoping Rose would hold off for a while. Also, is Rex a January enrollee?
Yep, Rex is a January enrollee for sure. Never had below an A in his life. Superb academics and wanting to get on campus ASAP.

What if UCON is doing the same thing,there is nothing stopping the Huskies of turning him into a T.E.

Yeah Moore too. But the cupboard was left pretty bare for QBs and no offense to Wilson and Long but I just don't think they are our QBs of the future. Why not take 2 more QBs this class if they are athletic and can be moved to another position if they don't pan out at QB.

I agree and if this kid is truly going to get his shot at QB, bring him on

What if UCON is doing the same thing,there is nothing stopping the Huskies of turning him into a T.E.

Good point. hey I want the kid so I hope we get him.

Agree but with the limited number of scholarships available in this class and at least the potential that Hunt will be granted a sixth year I'm starting to think that the second QB may just be Brotzki as a walk on.

Couple of thoughts here. Rose threw for 47 TDs as a junior. That's nothing to sneeze at and his video looks pretty good. He's probably a QB first regardless of where he goes.

As far as numbers are concerned, even if Hunt is physically able to come back, he would now be a QB on the roster that has missed 2 full seasons due to injury and Rex coming in would be a QB that missed an entire HS season. I'm sure Rex will work his way back but 2 guys on the depth chart with a history of serious lower body injuries doesn't give you the warm and fuzzies. I think AJ sticks at QB and will be a competent backup but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson transfer if he actually wants to play.

If Hunt doesn't come back and Wilson transfers, that leaves your depth chart for next season as Dungey, Long, and a true frosh Culpepper coming off a serious injury. QB is the one position above all that you can't afford to gamble with. My guess is we take at least one more QB in this class. And I hope it's Rose.

One thing you need to remember - this staff just went through a season where they were forced to play a true frosh who absolutely wasn't ready because option 1 and 2 went down with injuries. I'm sure that is going to shape the approach to the position going forward.

Last edited:
I think Wilson stays, gets his degree and then uses the grad transfer rule or goes 1AA after the 2016 season.

I think Wilson stays, gets his degree and then uses the grad transfer rule or goes 1AA after the 2016 season.
I don't think he can since he has already redshirted.

I don't think that Wilson goes anywhere. I think he stays, gets his degree and continues to be a team player.

I don't think he can since he has already redshirted.
the red shirt doesn't matter. So long as he graduates and has eligibility remaining, he can transfer to another school to do graduate work in a program not offered by SU.