QBs Still in Play

Macky44

Starter
Tbe
The question is more like...how the heck was Park even aware of this kid or the transfer portal.
I think your mind would be blown at the amount of overall research and knowledge he has prepared and needs to do his job well. Guy knows his stuff.

CuseLegacy

Twitter Wizard
Tbe

I think your mind would be blown at the amount of overall research and knowledge he has prepared and needs to do his job well. Guy knows his stuff.
What I was saying is that I don't think most people, besides this group, would pay any attention to the transfer portal or recruiting unless it is directly involved in their job. He has never tweeted out about kids in the portal before. Odd random tweet from him.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
What I was saying is that I don't think most people, besides this group, would pay any attention to the transfer portal or recruiting unless it is directly involved in their job. He has never tweeted out about kids in the portal before. Odd random tweet from him.
Agreed. At the very least he saw the headline on espn.com but he still would’ve had to connect some dots. It was an odd random for sure.

SUFan44

All American

FWIW. I'm not sure why Park would tweet this unless he thought there was some interest.
Matt Park should absolutely NOT be commenting on recruiting, unless it is a signed kid that has been officially announced by SU.

Quite frankly, I’m stunned he’d do it. And that it hasn’t been deleted already. Guy is the mouthpiece of the Athletic Department - in what world is speculating on transfer recruits OK?

orange79

Internet Sleuth
Matt Park should absolutely NOT be commenting on recruiting, unless it is a signed kid that has been officially announced by SU.

Quite frankly, I’m stunned he’d do it. And that it hasn’t been deleted already. Guy is the mouthpiece of the Athletic Department - in what world is speculating on transfer recruits OK?
All he did was retweet that someone was in the transfer portal. Public knowledge. He didn't say anything about SU interest.

SUFan44

All American
All he did was retweet that someone was in the transfer portal. Public knowledge. He didn't say anything about SU interest.
The emojis are just as good as comment. And even without an emoji, his retweet is a comment, too.

blizz

I got two bad b!#@%*$ with me! Molly and Aquafina.

The emojis are just as good as comment. And even without an emoji, his retweet is a comment, too.
G_20200114_2317341.gif

Orangtiz

2nd String

Completely agree. Senseless but interesting nonetheless.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Hornsby. I'm still holding out some hope Gilbert kicks the tires here. He seems open. If I'm a betting man though he ends up at Arkansas.

Here's the latest

some workout video from All-American bowl practices

Last edited:

SUFan44

All American
it’s nowhere near a violation if that’s what you’re getting at.
Didn't imply that it was. Just a really bad look for him on an individual level, in my opinion. And here's why.

He has to work with coaches on a daily basis. Whether that's coaches shows, pre-game interviews, on-air spots for Cuse.com, etc., he's the mouthpiece and an employee of the University -- for better and worse. If he was a full-on member of the media like Mike Waters or Stephen Bailey -- that's one thing. It's their job to speculate about recruiting. It is most certainly not his job.

If he's speculating about a recruit on Twitter, he better damn well have the encouragement of the coaching staff to do so. And know that our coaching staff is engaged and has a really good shot at landing the recruit (i.e. close to 100% chance).

Knowing our coaching staff and how close to the vest they are, I would guess he does not have that encouragement. Which could lead to access issues and such down the road.

Reading the tea leaves, I also don't think we have a high probability of landing this player. Which makes me feel even more strongly about Park putting it out there publicly.

Last edited:

SUFan44

All American
Okayyy. Not sure why you think this is an issue. He pointed out something that is now public. There was no "speculation".
As a Syracuse University employee, he pointed out a non-Syracuse University student-athlete is transferring.

At best, it is completely bizarre. At worst, it is an action that is not endorsed by the coaching staff which could impact his relationship with them.

Do you think the football coaching staff really wants someone who works with them/for them speculating about recruits?

CuseOnly

All American
As a Syracuse University employee, he pointed out a non-Syracuse University student-athlete is transferring.

At best, it is completely bizarre. At worst, it is an action that is not endorsed by the coaching staff which could impact his relationship with them.

Do you think the football coaching staff really wants someone who works with them/for them speculating about recruits?
Couldn't disagree with you more.

What these kids do is news whether you like it or not and reporting on that news isn't any different than reporting anything else.

Coaches are held to NCAA rules, everyone else is not. Period.

SUFan44

All American
Couldn't disagree with you more.

What these kids do is news whether you like it or not and reporting on that news isn't any different than reporting anything else.

Coaches are held to NCAA rules, everyone else is not. Period.
Do you work with an NCAA football team? Or an NCAA athletic department?

What's OK for those outside of the umbrella are usually not OK for those underneath it.

All employees are held to NCAA rules, bud. Read a rulebook. And quite frankly, this is not a rulebook issue. It's a matter of common sense.

djorange1989

All American
since I always listen to the mighty CL, I will bring it back to QBs:

doubt King is coming here, Martin may not even be on staff at this point for all we know and if he is, don't think it will matter.

would be surprised if we can get Hornsby to visit, but boy would I love it

I want McLemore and a JUCO/undergrad transfer. where are they? I want them NOW!!

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
I wonder if instead of making moves from a somewhat desperate position right now that we are better off waiting to see who potentially shakes out after spring practice transfer wise. With EEs already enrolled and starting classes this week, they are going to be looking to win starting and backup jobs around the country and that likely leads to some guys seeing the writing on the wall. Imagine the 3 points of the year where the portal fills up most are 1) End of season, 2) End of spring practice, 3) End of training camp. Probably a lot of scenarios where young guys are battling for a backup spot behind an upperclassmen and the guy who starts to fall into 3rd might want to jump ship. Obviously taking a 3rd QB from somewhere seems like we are shopping at ALDI but at some of the power programs they have 3 or 4 Elite 11 kids all battling each other every spring with 1 or 2 then leaving.

Janner

2nd String
Question for the Admins, or anyone else, is there a thread for McLemore? I did a title search for him but nothing came up. I could very well be missing something, but I cant just seem to find it.

CuseLegacy

Twitter Wizard
Question for the Admins, or anyone else, is there a thread for McLemore? I did a title search for him but nothing came up. I could very well be missing something, but I cant just seem to find it.
No thread...yet. This is all just speculation right now. If he gets a visit or an offer we can make a thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom