QBs Still in Play | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

QBs Still in Play

I wonder if instead of making moves from a somewhat desperate position right now that we are better off waiting to see who potentially shakes out after spring practice transfer wise. With EEs already enrolled and starting classes this week, they are going to be looking to win starting and backup jobs around the country and that likely leads to some guys seeing the writing on the wall. Imagine the 3 points of the year where the portal fills up most are 1) End of season, 2) End of spring practice, 3) End of training camp. Probably a lot of scenarios where young guys are battling for a backup spot behind an upperclassmen and the guy who starts to fall into 3rd might want to jump ship. Obviously taking a 3rd QB from somewhere seems like we are shopping at ALDI but at some of the power programs they have 3 or 4 Elite 11 kids all battling each other every spring with 1 or 2 then leaving.

Gilbert is following mclemore now fwiw
33C912B8-8341-4B23-8A1C-9BD899396180.gif

Question for the Admins, or anyone else, is there a thread for McLemore? I did a title search for him but nothing came up. I could very well be missing something, but I cant just seem to find it.

Question for the Admins, or anyone else, is there a thread for McLemore? I did a title search for him but nothing came up. I could very well be missing something, but I cant just seem to find it.
No thread...yet. This is all just speculation right now. If he gets a visit or an offer we can make a thread.

We should probably listen to what Dino says.
Based on that, I think it is a reasonable expectation that we are not going to know much about what is going on with SU‘s recruitment of QBs for the foreseeable future. The staff might even be requesting that QB recruits who get offers make no public announcement of this.

Based on that, I think it is a reasonable expectation that we are not going to know much about what is going on with SU‘s recruitment of QBs for the foreseeable future. The staff might even be requesting that QB recruits who get offers make no public announcement of this.
Unless the QB recruit is playing at a HS in another country and doesn't attend any camps I cant see how Dino expects to pull this off. My only thought is he discovers some kid with offers to lower level schools and doesn't want any of the big boys to know that we deem the kid worthy of an offer.

This will certainly make CuseLegacy's job a lot harder. ;)

Depends on what Gilbert brings to the table.

We start getting commitments from 5 star QB's, it won't be kept quiet.

You could be right, but Dino is out of his mind if he thinks that is a strategy that will work (or even has any merit).

I think it's a load of crap tbh.
I’ve always considered Dino to be overly genuine & honest as far as coaches go, but I agree. We’re not quite at “Dino says things” yet, but this is a small step in that direction. I’m calling this gamesmanship.

I’ve always considered Dino to be overly genuine & honest as far as coaches go, but I agree. We’re not quite at “Dino says things” yet, but this is a small step in that direction. I’m calling this gamesmanship.
I think he is serious. The thing is, many teams focus hard on getting a commit from a QB very early in each class. It can set the table, get a buzz going and build momentum. I think OrangeXtreme is right. If we get a big fish QB, we will surely look to publicize it (in ways that are NCAA legal). Hope that happens soon.

Everyone uses QB recruits to build their class. You want other recruits to know who you're bringing in or looking to bring in at QB. It was a dumb comment but he couldn't just say that we failed miserably either.

I’ve always considered Dino to be overly genuine & honest as far as coaches go, but I agree. We’re not quite at “Dino says things” yet, but this is a small step in that direction.
Yeah, I file it into "coaches say things," and Dino is a coach... and that's where that train of thought stops.

I think it has a lot to do with the Canadian QB they wanted to reclassify and may have had him on the Hill this year if that wasn't leaked out. Now...he has interest all over and now SU went from a "we have a QB' to scrambling again.

Regarding other HS QB's, I'm not sure what sense it makes and possibly why recruits may be keeping this on the lowdown about going to SU and if they announce certain things Dino asked them not to maybe he pulls the offer? Just spitballing here ...say QB X has interest from SU but Dino keeps it quiet and the kid tells the world and other schools start to be interested...now that is good for that player to have choices, yes?

But...if Dino pulls the offer because he announced it and he gets no other P5 offers the gamble he just took bit him in the butt. I don't know...just thinking out loud about a different strategy Dino seems to be trying.

Let's hope as many have said the new OC/QB coach makes SU a player again in the QB market and I do believe it will for 2021 and beyond but for 2020 it is going to take a lot of digging but who knows until the Feb signing what will happen. I'm sure CL will find some for the next couple of weekends unless Dino does his secret recruit thing which has worked in the past.

Good luck with that strategy. What will be their explanation for asking a kid to stay silent? Because you’ll blow up and the big boys will start looking at you?

Everyone uses QB recruits to build their class. You want other recruits to know who you're bringing in or looking to bring in at QB. It was a dumb comment but he couldn't just say that we failed miserably either.

Yeah, except he has way more info than we do. He and his staff can see patterns in who we offer, show interest in - and then who starts contacting the same kids. Year after year.

I know I’m in the minority, but I think he was being honest.

And if you read/watch the whole comment, he most def did say that they’ve been disappointed (ie they failed).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom