QBs Still in Play | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

QBs Still in Play

He also landed a Kent State offer.
Noticed that too. If Sean Lewis thinks he's good enough for the system then hopefully the staff is at least considering him. And who cares if Kent State is on a lower level, it's still the same system. It seems Sean knows what he's doing there and has an eye for talent. Plus, beggars can't be choosers at this point, and we need 2 quarterbacks

He also landed a Kent State offer.
Pretty sure Sean Lewis saw some Dungey in him too. Kind of hope he goes to Kent State so I can see why he can do in that offense.

Last edited:
Let’s hope this kid doesn’t want to sign on Wednesday. If he does then we are screwed

Better sure Sean Lewis saw some Dungey in him too. Kind of hope he goes to Kent State so I can see why he can do in that offense.

Wonder if Lester will/has offered?

Fortin is an important piece for the team. Is our current crop TD, Summers and Gunther? Am I missing anyone? (Long whistle) Damn. Fortin doesn't just give us potential starting ability but at worst gives us viable backup in case of a TD injury on the flip side. Fortin is as a critical component to Babers designs as anyone on the team currently in my opinion. Everyone should be keeping fingers crossed on this one.

Fortin is an important piece for the team. Is our current crop TD, Summers and Gunther? Am I missing anyone? (Long whistle) Damn. Fortin doesn't just give us potential starting ability but at worst gives us viable backup in case of a TD injury on the flip side. Fortin is as a critical component to Babers designs as anyone on the team currently in my opinion. Everyone should be keeping fingers crossed on this one.

Culpepper.

Grasping at straws but, it actually might bode well for us that (it appears at least) TD got benched.

It also appears he walks right into a starting spot at Vandy ... but at what cost, IdK? I think our ceiling to win is higher than theirs, looking at their schedules. They went 3-9 this season and the next two don’t look any easier. We’ve got a lot better skill guys to.

A well run, mature program should have a scholarship QB in each of the 5 classes. There are too many injuries, transfers and QBs who turn out to be duds to set things up otherwise.

Here is where things stand today.
If we are able to add a class of 2020 QB and a transfer QB, we will be in decent shape again. Right now, we are in exceptionally bad shape; the worst I can remember depth wise at this position since at least the late 1970s, when one considers Rex was moved to TE for a brief period before getting moved back after all hell broke loose with our QBs last year.

ClassName
True FroshNone
Redshirt FroshDavid Summers
SophomoreNone
JuniorTommy Devito
SeniorRex Culpepper

Last edited:
A well run, mature program should have a scholarship QB in each of the 5 classes. There are too many injuries, transfers and QBs who turn out to be duds to set things up otherwise.

Here is where things stand today. Even if we are able to add a class of 2020 QB and a transfer QB, we will still be in bad shape. Right now, we are in exceptionally bad shape; the worst I can remember depth wise at this position since at least the late 1970s.
ClassName
True FroshNone
SophomoreNone
JuniorTommy Devito

[TR}
[TD]Senior[/TD]
[TD]Rex Culpepper[/TD]
{/TR]
The key with Fortin being he is either a starter or if he doesn’t win the start, he is 2nd string. Filling a key role either way. Even if we bring in a Frosh, it is highly unlikely he can elevate to 2nd team in his first year. Really, really need Fortin to commit.

Here is where things stand today. Even if we are able to add a class of 2020 QB and a transfer QB, we will still be in bad shape. Right now, we are in exceptionally bad shape; the worst I can remember depth wise at this position since at least the late 1970s.
ClassName
True FroshNone
SophomoreNone
JuniorTommy Devito
SeniorRex Culpepper

2003 says hello.

Senior - R.J. (Robin) Anderson
Junior - None
Sophomore - Xzavier Gaines
Redshirt Freshman - Perry Patterson
Freshman - Matt Hale

2004 says hello, too.

Senior - None
Junior - Xzavier Gaines
Sophomore - Perry Patterson
Redshirt Freshman - Matt Hale
Freshman - Joe Fields

As much as I don't think DeVito is the answer, he's better than anyone in 2004 and all but MAYBE R.J. Anderson as a senior. And even that is a stretch.

2003 says hello.

Senior - R.J. (Robin) Anderson
Junior - None
Sophomore - Xzavier Gaines
Redshirt Freshman - Perry Patterson
Freshman - Matt Hale

2004 says hello, too.

Senior - None
Junior - Xzavier Gaines
Sophomore - Perry Patterson
Redshirt Freshman - Matt Hale
Freshman - Joe Fields

As much as I don't think DeVito is the answer, he's better than anyone in 2004 and all but MAYBE R.J. Anderson as a senior. And even that is a stretch.
Hello.

I am talking overall depth, not quality with this post.

Last edited:

Here is where things stand today.
If we are able to add a class of 2020 QB and a transfer QB, we will be in decent shape again. Right now, we are in exceptionally bad shape; the worst I can remember depth wise at this position since at least the late 1970s, when one considers Rex was moved to TE for a brief period before getting moved back after all hell broke loose with our QBs last year.

ClassName
True FroshNone
SophomoreNone
JuniorTommy Devito
SeniorRex Culpepper
Yup. It’s incredible how quickly a position can get out of whack in CFB. Going into 2018 we were in great shape with Dungey, Devito, Welch, Culpepper and Aimee.

in the last 20 years, we’ve only had 3 other seasons as good throwing the football and our OL was god awful for 2/3 of the year

he‘s got a lot to learn, but I’m pretty sure it’s still his to lose regardless of who we bring in
"but but but stat padding"

Lol

I promise I do like Tommy and I don't dismiss what he did under duress(which is being kind to our OL), but there is just something from the intangibles standpoint, whether it's leadership, QB smarts, that concern me. the IT factor I guess. Goes beyond stats, which again I am not tossing out the window. Not comparing him to Dungey because that's unfair, I don't expect him to be Dungey, but I do have concern in those areas.

I promise I do like Tommy and I don't dismiss what he did under duress(which is being kind to our OL), but there is just something from the intangibles standpoint, whether it's leadership, QB smarts, that concern me. the IT factor I guess. Goes beyond stats, which again I am not tossing out the window. Not comparing him to Dungey because that's unfair, I don't expect him to be Dungey, but I do have concern in those areas.

Same.

I’ll be the first to admit he has padded stats a little. I really like Devito and I really do want him to be our qb and bring us to greatness. It’s just I don’t trust him now.

bringing in a qb will promote healthy competition and will push Tommy to be best he can be and it would be exciting to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom