QBs Still in Play | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

QBs Still in Play

Same.

I’ll be the first to admit he has padded stats a little. I really like Devito and I really do want him to be our qb and bring us to greatness. It’s just I don’t trust him now.

bringing in a qb will promote healthy competition and will push Tommy to be best he can be and it would be exciting to watch.
Honest question: What does padding stats mean (to you)?

What do you expect DeVito to do? Do you expect him to not perform (whatever that means) in the 4th quarter while we are losing by 28 points at Maryland?

Other quarterbacks must also pad their stats, right? Justin Fields had 40 TD/1 INT this year? Was he padding his stats, I mean, Ohio State played about 5 quarters of tough football this year when they were not winning by double digits (if not 20+)?

For DeVito, statistically, I see a 63% completion percentage, 7.0 ypa and a 19-to-5 TD-INT ratio as a solid platform for a kid to enter his upperclassmen years. He has some notable things to work on, no doubt, but it appears he's in a place where, barring injury, QB can be a position for strength for Syracuse Football the next two years.

Last edited:

What do you expect DeVito to do? Do you expect him to not perform (whatever that means) in the 4th quarter while we are losing by 28 points at Maryland?

Other quarterbacks must also pad their stats, right? Justin Fields had 40 TD/1 INT this year? Was he padding his stats, I mean, Ohio State played about 5 quarters of tough football this year when they were not winning by double digits (if not 20+)?

For DeVito, statistically, I see a 63% completion percentage, 7.0 ypa and a 19-to-5 TD-INT ratio as a solid platform for a kid to enter his upperclassmen years. He has some notable things to work on, no doubt, but it appear he's in a place where, barring injury, QB can be a position for strength for Syracuse Football the next two years.

Yep. There are things for him to improve, but he was awfully close to senior year Nassib in year one with a horrid line (I’d give anything for a Pugh on this roster).

“It” factor and leadership comes in a lot of forms...this year was probably a pretty big learning year in that regard.

For DeVito, statistically, I see a 63% completion percentage, 7.0 ypa and a 19-to-5 TD-INT ratio as a solid platform for a kid to enter his upperclassmen years. He has some notable things to work on, no doubt, but it appear he's in a place where, barring injury, QB can be a position for strength for Syracuse Football the next two years.
63% and that’s WITH throwing away a lot of passes because there was nothing there or he was going to get crunched.

2003 says hello.

Senior - R.J. (Robin) Anderson
Junior - None
Sophomore - Xzavier Gaines
Redshirt Freshman - Perry Patterson
Freshman - Matt Hale

2004 says hello, too.

Senior - None
Junior - Xzavier Gaines
Sophomore - Perry Patterson
Redshirt Freshman - Matt Hale
Freshman - Joe Fields

As much as I don't think DeVito is the answer, he's better than anyone in 2004 and all but MAYBE R.J. Anderson as a senior. And even that is a stretch.
You better hope Perry's Grandma isn't still around.

2003 says hello.

Senior - R.J. (Robin) Anderson
Junior - None
Sophomore - Xzavier Gaines
Redshirt Freshman - Perry Patterson
Freshman - Matt Hale

2004 says hello, too.

Senior - None
Junior - Xzavier Gaines
Sophomore - Perry Patterson
Redshirt Freshman - Matt Hale
Freshman - Joe Fields

As much as I don't think DeVito is the answer, he's better than anyone in 2004 and all but MAYBE R.J. Anderson as a senior. And even that is a stretch.

The Hunt depth chart prior to Dungey was pretty lousy too, and Dungey's prior to Devito as well.

I'm in a golf group with 3 dozen regulars and many believe that TD pads his stats. More than half, and it's an ongoing discussion. They think he would rather take a sack than throw an incompletion and also they believe that if a receiver isn't wide open he won't throw the ball at all. And I use to be dead set against them. But the more I watch.....competition will be welcome.

Lol. I feel like on here and BB side people think we should just sit down and forfeit the second a game comes “out of hand” so we don’t have “stat padding”

I'm in a golf group with 3 dozen regulars and many believe that TD pads his stats. More than half, and it's an ongoing discussion. They think he would rather take a sack than throw an incompletion and also they believe that if a receiver isn't wide open he won't throw the ball at all. And I use to be dead set against them. But the more I watch...competition will be welcome.
Cause he never threw the ball away. Cause he didn’t throw jump balls to Taj in the duke game that went incomplete. The stat padding thing is the most overblown shiz I’ve seen on here since I joined like a year or two ago. He isn’t perfect and I want Fortin for at the least to be the prime backup bit let’s not act like devito is a glory chasing stat hog

For DeVito, statistically, I see a 63% completion percentage, 7.0 ypa and a 19-to-5 TD-INT ratio as a solid platform for a kid to enter his upperclassmen years. He has some notable things to work on, no doubt, but it appears he's in a place where, barring injury, QB can be a position for strength for Syracuse Football the next two years.
Yeah, people just kind of make up opinions about DeVito. It's weird.

in the last 20 years, we’ve only had 3 other seasons as good throwing the football and our OL was god awful for 2/3 of the year

he‘s got a lot to learn, but I’m pretty sure it’s still his to lose regardless of who we bring in
"but but but stat padding"

Here's the thing: We finished in the middle of the pack (68th) offensively. That's not great but not terrible. Tommy had plenty of stuff to contend with, the offensive line most notably.

Having said that, it's not that hard to see that Tommy piled up close to 600 yards and 8 TDs against Western Mich (OK MAC team but brutal defense) and Holy Cross and when our offense seemed to come around at the end of the season -- we averaged 40 ppg in our last three games -- it was when Tommy stopped throwing the ball (about 250 yds total vs. Duke/Louisville) and then didn't play for the most part (Wake). Additionally while the numbers look good against UMD he had brutal plays on 4th down twice in that game and we put up 20 points against one of the absolute worst defenses in college football.

Running the ball is a huge key regardless but to look at Tommy's stats and feel like we are set at QB -- at least in terms of a starter -- for the next two years seems presumptuous in my mind.

To bring this back to recruiting -- at a bare minimum we need a legitimate player to add depth and, ideally, we need two legitimate options with at least one capable of at least pushing Tommy a bit. Not sure how that's controversial or some sort of hot take simply b/c his completion percentage was good and the kid can make some really nice throws.

It's about the other team taking their foot off the gas when they are up by multiple scores and we can't keep the QB upright. How are his 3rd down conversions, and how were they in the first half?

Cause he never threw the ball away. Cause he didn’t throw jump balls to Taj in the duke game that went incomplete. The stat padding thing is the most overblown shiz I’ve seen on here since I joined like a year or two ago. He isn’t perfect and I want Fortin for at the least to be the prime backup bit let’s not act like devito is a glory chasing stat hog

Feel like this may be misinterpreting the criticism at least to a degree (I'm sure some are arguing what you're insinuating here). I think it's more that putting up admittedly nice numbers in arguably our worst two losses of the babers era -- the utter debacle in college park and the embarrasment against BC -- and then two cupcakes (wmu/holy cross) shouldn't make anyone feel comfy this offseason about our QB situation. 14 TDs, 1 int and 1200 yards came in those four games.

Meanwhile our two best performances were either with Tommy completing six passes total (Duke) or on the bench (Wake). Even if you count liberty as a solid win, he did nothing in that game.

Again -- to make sure we're discussing recruiting -- not a soul on this board should be feeling good about QB right now. We absolutely have to acquire a second legitimate option at the QB position. If you're a Tommy fan or at least believe he'll be good next year -- fine, we are in huge need of quality depth. If you're going to bang on him for being not very good, then we need a starter. Either way, a legit qb or, ideally two, is utterly essential.

A school to watch and see what kind of QBs might shake loose is BYU. They have 4 QBs on their roster that have started and won games for them - Wilson, Hall, Romney and Critchlow. News broke today that Critchlow is entering the portal. Hall is the one that I think Syracuse fans would be really excited about.

I saw TD do some OMG (bad) things, but then again, he was like a dog that was beaten as a pup and was always afraid of being pummeled. I am hopeful that if he has s good O-line, that he will emerge.

I predict the new mystery recruit will be a QB in the class of 2020. And that we will take another in the class sometime later that will be a grad transfer or a normal transfer.

Only because I find it unfathomable that we aren't going to add two scholarship QBs to the roster by the end of the spring semester.

A school to watch and see what kind of QBs might shake loose is BYU. They have 4 QBs on their roster that have started and won games for them - Wilson, Hall, Romney and Critchlow. News broke today that Critchlow is entering the portal. Hall is the one that I think Syracuse fans would be really excited about.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Romney kid is pretty locked-in at BYU.

I predict the new mystery recruit will be a QB in the class of 2020. And that we will take another in the class sometime later that will be a grad transfer or a normal transfer.

Only because I find it unfathomable that we aren't going to add two scholarship QBs to the roster by the end of the spring semester.

Makes sense Tom but as quality or quantity? I don't think a grad transfer would be interested in the slightest on being a backup. I know Dino has a way to surprise us with a "Where did he find this guy?" type of thing so I don't doubt that he and his staff have some solid fires in the oven and I just want a functional QB that can hit open WR/TE's.

I really think it's Bleich, may have to wait until Feb for at least one new QB, hopefully two when all is said and done by the spring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom