Quade Green | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Quade Green

I’ll never understand this. Wherever you go you need to earn playing time and, in all likelihood, beat people out. For Washington, he chose to go to a program with two veteran guards and a program that had just taken in two grad transfers the year before (meaning that’s clearly a possibility again).

He also committed here in the shadow of quade heading to UK literally last minute and with the knowledge that he probably wasn’t even no. 2 on the recruiting depth chart from the beginning.

To me, it’s cool that he chose to come here but he’s going to have to beat out good players to get minutes. I’m not sure why that comes as such a shock to people. Unless JB promised X minutes and then doesn’t keep his promise, your job is to go out and beat out the guys in front of you.

I understand that we add Thorpe, Hughes, buddy and Carey in the 7 months since he committed but I would argue the only one of those moves that came as a surprise was Hughes, and he doesn’t play HW’s position.

Also, keep in mind, that Iona game might as well have been a Februrary ACC game for this team after the way we played in the scrimmages. We need to make sure we’re winning as many of these games as we can not only b/c we’re young and not overly talented but also b/c we almost played our way out of the tourney before acc play last season. And almost every team shortens it’s rotation in tough, hotly contested games.

Anyway, Just the way of the world imo. Parents getting bent out of shape over that is annoying

I’m fascinated that parents are a factor in D-1. Do they make road trips to campus to tuck their babies in at night too?

Don't understand why so many people live in the past or the what-if that does not matter. People believe that Quade Green would be a high tier player here and blame GMAC for not landing him. People, come into the present, he did not sign with Syracuse. Give it up.

I disagree. I think he is undersized and over rated.
I agree that he's undersized for the zone. I may even agree that he was a bit overrated as a recruit but he can be both of these things & still be better than our PG.

You don't think he'd start over Frank? &/or you think someone besides Battle & Brissett would average more PPG?

Last edited:
I agree that he's undersized for the zone, that's fair.

You don't think he'd start over Frank? Who besides Battle & Brissett would average more PPG?

Not picking a fight at all, I'm genuinely interested in people's opinions. The sample size is obviously small & opinions will form & evolve as we see more of him throughout the year. I just foresee people (not you specifically) getting all giddy & ragging on him anytime he struggles even though, IMO, he'd be far & away our best PG.
As long as we play zone, I'll loathe recruiting little guards. Nightmares of threes raining on Gillons side were all I thought about when we were going after him.

I'm more upset we went all in on him at the expense of other guards.

As long as we play zone, I'll loathe recruiting little guards. Nightmares of threes raining on Gillons side were all I thought about when we were going after him.

I'm more upset we went all in on him at the expense of other guards.
lol Like who? We were in desperate shape when we got Gillon. No one was beating down the door to come at that point.

Honestly...who cares. Part of sports. Suck it up and get better.

I'm just saying how it is. I didn't say anyone should care but either the playing situation changes at some point or it doesn't. If it doesn't it leads to tough situations we don't like to talk about.

I'm just saying how it is. I didn't say anyone should care but either the playing situation changes at some point or it doesn't. If it doesn't it leads to tough situations we don't like to talk about.

I think the point is a valid one. I just don’t know how you ever build a program if everyone has to play 15 mpg as soon as they arrive. I know you’re not necessarily suggesting that but with a guy like Washington you’d hope he has at least some patience. I agree, though, it’s probably wait and see.

I think the point is a valid one. I just don’t know how you ever build a program if everyone has to play 15 mpg as soon as they arrive. I know you’re not necessarily suggesting that but with a guy like Washington you’d hope he has at least some patience. I agree, though, it’s probably wait and see.

Yeah, that's fair. I just think we should give him a shot to earn some time since he's a pure PG (the only one we have) and we could use some shooting. He has time to get better and JB said in tonight's presser that he's been playing well in practice; he's just behind 3 experienced guys.

Yeah, that's fair. I just think we should give him a shot to earn some time since he's a pure PG (the only one we have) and we could use some shooting. He has time to get better and JB said in tonight's presser that he's been playing well in practice; he's just behind 3 experienced guys.
Over who though?

Over who though?

Let him play some point guard. 4 minutes or so each half. I'd also like to try a 3-guard lineup of HW at PG with Geno and Tyus on the wings. It's not really "over" someone. It's integrating him into the rotation.

I admit the sample size is small but I felt like he really struggled stopping guards from getting by at the top and penetrating the zone. I think that must be an issue the staff are seeing in practice (just a guess). The reality is we have Frank, Tyus and Thorpe who are all 2 guards really so it would be great to have HW in there because he is a kid that can shoot but is a pass first point guard and really the only one we have. I'm not in the "there is no circumstance where he plays during league play" camp necessarily but I just think this year for that to happen Frank probably has to really struggle again and starting having crushing turnovers and defensive lapses. In that scenario I can see us going to him because he has the steady hand. At this point to having any success on offense we need both guards to be able to penetrate and create like the other 3 can.

The last time we had a rotation of three combo guards in the back court we went 34-3.

He's getting a shot. He may be playing well in practice, but not well enough to earn minutes. Last night Battle had to sit most of the first half in foul trouble. If HW didn't get minutes in that situation, he isn't likely to be a part of the plan for this season. So why invest minutes in him when you need FH and GT to get their sea legs in the rotation that we will actually be using this season?

He's getting a shot. He may be playing well in practice, but not well enough to earn minutes. Last night Battle had to sit most of the first half in foul trouble. If HW didn't get minutes in that situation, he isn't likely to be a part of the plan for this season. So why invest minutes in him when you need FH and GT to get their sea legs in the rotation that we will actually be using this season?

Yeah. As a fan who likes the sounds of him but hasn’t seen much of him, of course I want to see more of him.

But obviously the coaches see a ton of him and know exactly why he’s 4th in a 3 guard rotation. Battle is a star, Howard is a 3rd year guy and Thorpe is a 5th year guy that averaged 14 ppg last year. If Washington isn’t better, then he isnt better.

Yeah. As a fan who likes the sounds of him but hasn’t seen much of him, of course I want to see more of him.

But obviously the coaches see a ton of him and know exactly why he’s 4th in a 3 guard rotation. Battle is a star, Howard is a 3rd year guy and Thorpe is a 5th year guy that averaged 14 ppg last year. If Washington isn’t better, then he isnt better.

HW and his family took a calculated risk signing with SU. I would think they thought that SU was in a downward turn after losing Green and gambled that they would not sign Carey or another similar point guard. I think the way JB is handling HW is spot on. He is not ready for this level of play, Thorpe need this preseason to get acclimated to the system especially after the ankle injury. FH has played pretty good but needs all the practice he can get before we get to the real season.

HW and his family took a calculated risk signing with SU. I would think they thought that SU was in a downward turn after losing Green and gambled that they would not sign Carey or another similar point guard. I think the way JB is handling HW is spot on. He is not ready for this level of play, Thorpe need this preseason to get acclimated to the system especially after the ankle injury. FH has played pretty good but needs all the practice he can get before we get to the real season.

If we had established guards that were familiar with our system coming in to the season then Howard Washington would probably be getting a lot more burn in these early-season situations. Right now JB is trying to work Tyus Battle into a new role as the man, trying to give Frank Howard as much responsibility and confidence as he can running the team and trying to get Geno Thorpe acclimated after coming in late and having an ankle injury. This particular team just has too many guys that are going to be in the rotation that need the time right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom