question for the board | Syracusefan.com

question for the board

Blaster

2nd String
How many times has the carrier dome soldout for football since it opened. Also need a link that confirms your awnser. Thnx

Official capacity is now below 50,000. I doubt you'll ever see that many again for a football game.

Dropped to 49 and change when they added more 'box' seats in the corners.

Dropped to 49 and change when they added more 'box' seats in the corners.
And additional areas for handicapped seating.

A sell out in now a game in the 49K range. I think the last one was against Notre Dame, the Walter Reyes game where he ran wild and we killed them.

The dome seating capacity was originally calculated using the 1981 Ass Girth Matrix (AGM). As you can imagine, the 1981 Ass Girth Matrix uses a much less "robust" ass than the asses of 2012.

I'd still like to see individual seats replace the aluminum benches.

Be careful using Poliquin as your source. Dude didn't know the Yankees won the 2009 world series. lol
http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2010/09/if_its_true_that_mistakes_are.html

So as per the SU Athletics site, the official capacity is listed at 49,262. Bud's comment of the 50k+ is like saying the Montreal Expos haven't made the playoffs in the last 6 seasons. But, is Doug's comment about the 1 sellout correct? Then again again he could have been asking Doug E. Doug. ;)

Only the Dome opener has been an official sellout. There have been 7 times where 50K+ were in the Dome but only the Miami (Oh) game with 50,564 was a sell out. There have been a couple of times where max capacity was reduced for reasons others have already stated.

Only the Dome opener has been an official sellout. There have been 7 times where 50K+ were in the Dome but only the Miami (Oh) game with 50,564 was a sell out. There have been a couple of times where max capacity was reduced for reasons others have already stated.
You got a linky to go with that info. I have been looking and cant find anything

I would have never guessed in 100 years that our only Dome sellout was a game to Miami (Oh).

Go to the SU website.

Find the Football Media Guide.

Under the section "Game-by-Game Scores" you will find the attendance of EVERY game in the Dome from 1980-.

Or, you can take bees' word for it.

I would have never guessed in 100 years that our only Dome sellout was a game to Miami (Oh).

There was a lot of brass from Albany and Carrier in the house that night.

And additional areas for handicapped seating.

A sell out in now a game in the 49K range. I think the last one was against Notre Dame, the Walter Reyes game where he ran wild and we killed them.

That would have been a sell out if the athletic department could have stayed out of their own way.

Surprises me that some games aren't considered sellouts. Such as '91 Florida, '92 Ohio State and Miami, 98 Tennessee, '99 Michigan. In some of those cases, we turned away visiting fans because we told them no more seats were available. And I know people who were turned away at the box office for the Tennessee game trying to buy a single seat.

Only at SU I guess...

You got a linky to go with that info. I have been looking and cant find anything

on the su site where the media guide is.

i'll qualify that by saying during the years after the first reduction where it would hold a little less than 50K, I am not positive none of those crowds weren't sellouts.

The PSU game in 1987 was standing room only. I don't care what the official stats say, that game was sold out.

i'll qualify that by saying during the years after the first reduction where it would hold a little less than 50K, I am not positive none of those crowds weren't sellouts.
A triple negative! My head hurts from trying to unravel that. :)

BTW i never would never question the mighty word of Bees. Its a bet at work need to show some sort of comformationis all ;)
For the record i said 1 and the other participant said 8-9. thanks for the help

Going back to 2001 here are the largest crowds in the dome:

Minnesota 2009 - 48,617
Va Tech 2002 48,239
Notre Dame 2003 - 48,170

Does any think we will sell out again? Seems like our ACC opener would be the next opportunity for a sell out.

Does any think we will sell out again? Seems like our ACC opener would be the next opportunity for a sell out.
I don't know about that. How well do the Seawolves travel?

That would have been a sell out if the athletic department could have stayed out of their own way.

Surprises me that some games aren't considered sellouts. Such as '91 Florida, '92 Ohio State and Miami, 98 Tennessee, '99 Michigan. In some of those cases, we turned away visiting fans because we told them no more seats were available. And I know people who were turned away at the box office for the Tennessee game trying to buy a single seat.

Only at SU I guess...

Yeah, I'm skeptical of the "one sellout" thing. For those games you listed I distinctly recall no tickets being available. If that's not a sell out then I don't understand the meaning of the term.

There's always a few no-shows, even for sold out games, at any stadium. So I would think that's not the metric being used.

The '92 Texas game is listed with an attendance of 49,238, the tOSU game that year was 49,629 and Miami was 49,857. That's when capacity was 49,550, so I would suspect that Texas was a sell out with a couple hundred no-shows and tOSU & Miami were sell-outs that managed to run over capacity.

10/30/93 against WVU is listed as 49,268, which is suspiciously close to the same count as Texas the year before, which again makes me feel like it was a sellout with a few no-shows.

11/30/96 agaist Miami was 49,426. 11/28/98 against Miami was 49,521. Hard for me to believe either wasn't functionally a sell out.

Maybe someone in the SUAD figures that if there's a handful of single-seats, or handicap seats, or whatever then literally speaking it's not a sellout. But to me if you can't get 2 together, which crowds in the 49,200+ range most likely are, that's as good as a sellout.

*edit* '98 Tennessee attendance is listed smack dab at 49,550. That's reporting a sellout, no doubt, since that's exactly capacity.

Yeah, I'm skeptical of the "one sellout" thing. For those games you listed I distinctly recall no tickets being available. If that's not a sell out then I don't understand the meaning of the term.

There's always a few no-shows, even for sold out games, at any stadium. So I would think that's not the metric being used.

The '92 Texas game is listed with an attendance of 49,238, the tOSU game that year was 49,629 and Miami was 49,857. That's when capacity was 49,550, so I would suspect that Texas was a sell out with a couple hundred no-shows and tOSU & Miami were sell-outs that managed to run over capacity.

10/30/93 against WVU is listed as 49,268, which is suspiciously close to the same count as Texas the year before, which again makes me feel like it was a sellout with a few no-shows.

11/30/96 agaist Miami was 49,426. 11/28/98 against Miami was 49,521. Hard for me to believe either wasn't functionally a sell out.

Maybe someone in the SUAD figures that if there's a handful of single-seats, or handicap seats, or whatever then literally speaking it's not a sellout. But to me if you can't get 2 together, which crowds in the 49,200+ range most likely are, that's as good as a sellout.

*edit* '98 Tennessee attendance is listed smack dab at 49,550. That's reporting a sellout, no doubt, since that's exactly capacity.

Forgot about '98 Miami, would have thought that was on the list as well. But I guess 29 tickets were available somewhere.

I wondered if maybe it had to do with luxury boxes not all being filled/used? We don't have the club seat level like NFL stadiums, who clearly don't sell all of those tickets yet report sellouts for TV blackout purposes.

Like you said, if some of those games aren't sellouts, then I just don't know what it means when people can't buy a ticket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom