Quick Hitters | Syracusefan.com

Quick Hitters

CIL

All Conference
  • I thought the board's favorite whipping boy, Macky McPherson played a great game today outside of that horrendous snap. Toledo never fooled with and stunts or A gap blitzes. His block on Bailey's td run was excellent. He's probably playing a year to early, but damn he moves well in space.
  • Nassib went kind of hot/cold/hot for the game. Can't believe he missed a wide open chew on that excellent play fake of of the fake toss. That should have been 6. Really want him to start learning how to step up in the pocket instead of rolling out every time he senses pressure. He figures that out he will be excellent for us. Love the fact he isn't forcing throws this year.
  • PTG showed a level of explosiveness I didn't know he possessed to be honest. I thought he was more of a quick feet kid (not necessarily shifty). Think we may have found a weapon.
  • Much better patience my Bailey yesterday. Was also excellent in pass protection -- best game of the season.
  • I think a poster used the phrase "not that good" when describing West or what they heard about West. Now the kid was wide open on both his catches -- but did anyone else notice how naturally he caught the ball? Used his hands and the ball got no where near his chest. Good set of mitts.
  • Speaking of doubting thomases -- Nicky "Charmin" Provo looked pretty damn tough on that run after the catch, didn't he?
  • Rough game for Danny Vaughn. He's about a half step too slow out there IMO. Probably better suited for MIKE speedwise, but not the size for it.
  • Cam Lynch looked decent out there -- is fluid for his build. He looks a bit confused at times. Think he is thinking a lot out there but that will slow down.
  • Get your nose in the playbook Coker. With all due respect to Anene who has done an admirable for a walk on, he also is too slow to be out there. Last year's LB corps would have eaten those jailbreaks alive. Those would have gone for 3-4 instead of 6-7.
  • Defense looked hobbled as a whole. Didn't possess the same speed they showed against Wake. Really need Spruill, Shamarko, P Thomas, Anderson, Lyn, and Jones back at full speed for conference play. Really missed Shamarko yesterday -- both against the read option and short passing attack.
All in all, I'll take the win. Playing a top 45 opponent with a banged up squad and coming out with a win is a good thing. Get heathy and due some damage in the BE. Nice thing is we are getting the young kids lots of pt.

Great call on West. Used his hands nicely to make both catches. Never let the ball get to his body. Would love to see him get more involved and be that 3rd receiver everyone is clamoring for.

Other than the XP call, West was probably my favorite thing about the game. He's gonna be a good one, just needs a little more time to put it together (at least I assume that based on limited playing time/youth). I also loved the D pulling it together at key times, decimated unit who has little confidence as it is.

• I thought the board's favorite whipping boy, Macky McPherson played a great game today outside of that horrendous snap. Toledo never fooled with and stunts or A gap blitzes. His block on Bailey's td run was excellent. He's probably playing a year to early, but damn he moves well in space.
  • Nassib went kind of hot/cold/hot for the game. Can't believe he missed a wide open chew on that excellent play fake of of the fake toss. That should have been 6. Really want him to start learning how to step up in the pocket instead of rolling out every time he senses pressure. He figures that out he will be excellent for us. Love the fact he isn't forcing throws this year.

Do you think that Nassib's constant rolling out of the pocket has anything to do with a distrust of his protection in the middle of the line?

People here use to say the same thing about sales as they do about west and him just being not that good... I think west has been Marroned for now... Not saying it's a bad thing but I don't think harbaugh was handing out scholarships to kids that couldn't play at stanford

Reactions: CIL
Do you think that Nassib's constant rolling out of the pocket has anything to do with a distrust of his protection in the middle of the line?

I think it is by design to some extent.

No -- it's been a habit of his since he got here. Watch tape of last year. Any sense of pressure and he rolls out. Needs to learn how to step up in the pocket and deliver a strike. I know the staff is workign on it and is aware of the problem.

No -- it's been a habit of his since he got here. Watch tape of last year. Any sense of pressure and he rolls out. Needs to learn how to step up in the pocket and deliver a strike. I know the staff is workign on it and is aware of the problem.

I thought he did step up in the pocket against the rush much more in the second half and especially in the fourth quarter.

• Speaking of doubting thomases -- Nicky "Charmin" Provo looked pretty damn tough on that run after the catch, didn't he?

Favorite play of the day by far was Provo's catch in the flat where he dragged the tackler about 20 yards... he didn't even seem to slow down, as the pursuit took a long time to catch up. That was an impressive play.

People here use to say the same thing about sales as they do about west and him just being not that good... I think west has been Marroned for now... Not saying it's a bad thing but I don't think harbaugh was handing out scholarships to kids that couldn't play at stanford

Right... West can play. I think alot of people undervalue how good Chew and Lemon are. If we had Sales this year, our starting WR corp would be pretty impressive. The backups (West, Foster, Graham, Flemming, Kobena) are decent too. Just because they aren't getting alot of snaps, doesn't mean they can't play. I think we're building a pretty impressive stable of athletes at WR that will be a force in the next couple years.

Great report - your obviously much smarter then me because you wrote a report of all the things I was thinking but couldn't express :D

For anyone that was at the game and could see West prior to catching the ball - since on TV we just saw him catching and no good replays. It looked like one of the catches he just split the zone and sat in the right spot to get the ball but on the other catch (or were there 2 more) is he getting separation from the defenders? Just wondering if he is bringing something to the table that our current receivers lack at times, as far as being able to get good separation on the short to intermediate routes?

Forgot one thing -- wanted to give DG props for catching that slant on 3rd down with a defender draped all over him. Nice grab buddy.

Great post as always, Loose. I wouldn't call Toledo a Top 45 team, but it was a good win nonetheless (even if it deserves an asterisk). Gulley is way better than I thought he was.

This team will get better as the season goes on.

agree with you cil on baileys patience. a couple times yesterday instead of going full throttle ahead into a crowd, he stopped on a dime, waited and hit a open hole. like you said def. his best game of the year

agree with you cil on baileys patience. a couple times yesterday instead of going full throttle ahead into a crowd, he stopped on a dime, waited and hit a open hole. like you said def. his best game of the year

I agree, and in my mind, I'm thinking that for the first few games he was so excited that he was finally the "man" out there and wanted to show(prove) to everyone that he deserved to be that "man" that he was going full throttle instead of being the patient runner. It was a huge difference in my eyes from game one to yesterday on his running style.

Our center position was average yesterday. Very good second level block on the Bailey TD run. However, when presented with a DT lined up at the nose, he was simply average. There were several occasions when that man blew up plays in the backfield, be it instant pressure on Nassib or running plays.

Also, as a preference, I'd like Bailey to know down and distance a bit more when "being patient." I thought he was extremely tentative on a very important 3rd and 1 in the 2nd half and came up woefully short (as noted by another poster, he had the first down on his 2nd down carry, but SU was screwed by about 3/4 yard on the spot), as well as a few other runs that needed him to put his head down and pick up tough yards. With that said, he ran extremely hard in the OT.

Favorite play of the day by far was Provo's catch in the flat where he dragged the tackler about 20 yards... he didn't even seem to slow down, as the pursuit took a long time to catch up. That was an impressive play.

Most definitely. It was an impressive play. I was waiting for him to go down and he just kept trucking along. I was sitting there yelling PROVO SHOWING SOME TALENT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom