Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaches have a higher opinion on next years team than the fans do or else we wouldn’t be scheduling as difficult as we are. I will reassess my opinion of roster construction after the OOC next year, but personally I never expected QG back.
I didn’t expect QG back either.
That was because I thought he was going pro.

I am not high on next year because I don’t believe the March run is going to happen over the course a season when our opponents know us.

I am from Missouri with the regular season.

Bringing in Swider was great.
Bringing in Jimmy as depth was fine.
Making Jimmy a part of the rotation just because he is JB’s son is not okay.

You don’t get the point or are spinning it to just defend what has happened.
Jimmy Jr. as a deep bench guy is fine. But to make him part of the rotation as the 3rd guy when it prevents us from keeping or bringing in other talent isn’t something I think a contender would do.
Who said he 's going to start? IMO he'll be coming off the bench.

Bringing in Swider was great.
Bringing in Jimmy as depth was fine.
Making Jimmy a part of the rotation just because he is JB’s son is not okay.

You don’t get the point or are spinning it to just defend what has happened.
Jimmy Jr. as a deep bench guy is fine. But to make him part of the rotation as the 3rd guy when it prevents us from keeping or bringing in other talent isn’t something I think a contender would do.
The point is that the staff couldn’t afford to wait for Guerrier to make a final decision. Would you prefer it if we didn’t have Guerrier and Junior? That’s the risk you take when you wait for one guy. And it’s the exact thing people criticize JB for when it comes to recruiting.

Maybe some people just spin anything and everything into a negative.

Could be a lot of scenerios.

Could be the coaches had a tentative commit that hinges on Q's decision, and the coaches moved on with his blessing.

Could be he is already getting feedback and was told he should further develop himself as a 3 but he knows Benny is slotted for the 3 and his place on the team is a 4 and Cole plus Jimmy possibly even Frank complicates the situation.

Could be he feels he is 95% sure of the pro route and the 5% chance of returning is not fair to ask Cuse to hold a spot for him so he decided to act to help us out.

Could be a lot of reasons. Best of luck to Q wherever he ends up. The guy played on injured groins for us.

that’s why I put IMO.
IMO, Jim Boeheim Sr. is a significant part of why Quincy Guerrier will not be back. And a significant reason this program is the model of mediocrity. Sample size of regular seasons in the ACC is big enough to see this, as is the number of Top 25 polls we have been a part of over the past 7 years.

Doesn't matter that Quincy wasn't yelled at demonstrably or called out in public like others were. JB is a cranky, ornery coach. Kids see it, and you don't think Boeheim has snapped at him in practice a couple times? I do. He's been the same for 40 years. I appreciate what he's done, but it doesn't work anymore.

IMO, Jim Boeheim Sr. is a significant part of why Quincy Guerrier will not be back. And a significant reason this program is the model of mediocrity. Sample size of regular seasons in the ACC is big enough to see this, as is the number of Top 25 polls we have been a part of over the past 7 years.

Doesn't matter that Quincy wasn't yelled at demonstrably or called out in public like others were. JB is a cranky, ornery coach. Kids see it, and you don't think Boeheim has snapped at him in practice a couple times? I do. He's been the same for 40 years. I appreciate what he's done, but it doesn't work anymore.
Three Sweet 16s over the last five tournaments (only two other teams have accomplished that), including a Final Four. Something’s working.

The point is that the staff couldn’t afford to wait for Guerrier to make a final decision. Would you prefer it if we didn’t have Guerrier and Junior? That’s the risk you take when you wait for one guy. And it’s the exact thing people criticize JB for when it comes to recruiting.

Wait, do you think we would have missed out on jimmy if we had waited for q to make his decision?

There are a lot of players in the portal GMF break the coaching staff couldn’t find talent.

My point is about the fact taking Jimmy Jr. should have been for depth not because he was going to be part of the rotation.

Quincy is a third team all-ACC talent we can afford to wait for that decision.

Especially when there tons of players in the portal.

Sorry I actually want Syracuse to be Syracuse and not spin to defend just to defend.

Three Sweet 16s over the last five tournaments (only two other teams have accomplished that), including a Final Four. Something’s working.
Can you please provide me with any evidence we can compete for a league championship or national championship.

If we are playing for Sweet 16’s, let’s just hope we get a 10 seed and two teams that can’t shoot straight two straight games. We hit our mark, and then we get blown out in the Round of 16. Fantastic.

Sample size of regular seasons is how you measure where your program is. Would you prefer this run, or being nationally relevant during the 1989-93 years when there was just one Sweet 16 in 4 seasons?

Not even close.

QG not coming back is likely not a shock to many, at least those that follow the program closely.
I am shocked that QG is considering the portal and another school ! I didn't see that coming, either I had a blind spot on this, or he was pretty cagey about that possibility. I wish him the best in a pro career !
Should he ever end up on the opposite side of a basketball course against The Orange then my good wishes would be suspended, at least for that meeting.
In any event, Cole Swider is going to make a lot of us forget QG. Still wish he was returning to SU !

So the tournament is all you care about.
Okay fine.
That is your standard.
Atleast you are saying it.
Because the regular season matters as well and have been below .500 against P6 and ACC teams since 2014.

Wait, do you think we would have missed out on jimmy if we had waited for q to make his decision?
Both Junior and JB made it clear Junior wanted to go somewhere could play. I know all the “realists” want to play the nepotism card, but Junior wasn’t going to play much behind QG, Williams, and Swider.

There are a lot of players in the portal GMF break the coaching staff couldn’t find talent.

My point is about the fact taking Jimmy Jr. should have been for depth not because he was going to be part of the rotation.

Quincy is a third team all-ACC talent we can afford to wait for that decision.

Especially when there tons of players in the portal.

Sorry I actually want Syracuse to be Syracuse and not spin to defend just to defend.
Show me who is still available when QG makes a final decision.

Can you please provide me with any evidence we can compete for a league championship or national championship.

If we are playing for Sweet 16’s, let’s just hope we get a 10 seed and two teams that can’t shoot straight two straight games. We hit our mark, and then we get blown out in the Round of 16. Fantastic.

Sample size of regular seasons is how you measure where your program is. Would you prefer this run, or being nationally relevant during the 1989-93 years when there was just one Sweet 16 in 4 seasons?

Not even close.
Back then, people like you complained that JB couldn’t win the big one, lost too many upsets in the tournament, and so on.

Tournament success is what matters most.

Back then, people like you complained that JB couldn’t win the big one, lost too many upsets in the tournament, and so on.

Tournament success is what matters most.
And higher seeds lead to the most tournament success. Which means the regular season matters.

And higher seeds lead to the most tournament success. Which means the regular season matters.
Plenty of evidence to suggest JB can have tournament success, regardless of seeding.

The simple fact of making the tournament 75% of seasons is by definition not mediocre as only a handful (15-20) of programs make it at that rate.

No it’s not Syracuse historical standards (top ten all time program that JB himself built) but its certainly not mediocre, at least to me.

Maybe it’s semantics but we have been good/decent. Our ACC standings have been somewhere above average (50%) but below top 3. So second quartile. Again, good not great, but not mediocre.

Lastly, I am one who has not appreciated how JB has treated his players (and fans frankly) in the press and otherwise for the past 5-10 years, so I am no apologist, just saying the record isn’t as bad as some portray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom