Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy was a good college player but slightly overated in my opinion... hate to see him leave but he had trouble around bigger strong guys who blocked his shots and was not a great finisher around the rim , missed lots of easy putbacks ... not a good handle for a guy 6-7(stretch) He's small for a 4 and have not seen any evidence he's good enough off the dribble drive for a 3 ...no way NBA ...6-7 guys are two guards ...my sense is these guys who are leaving want to play M to M vs zone like the pros...having said all that he is a loss at the college level and makes you wonder what is going on?
That is because he should have been playing SF and not the PF. We were lucky that he had sufficient skills to play the 4 Position.

I won’t buy this team being really good in the regular season unless the PG play is a lot better than this season.

Ball pressure will kill us. Teams were stupid last year.
When we face pressure we had to have Marek bring the ball up.

We’ve had a number of forwards over the years help break pressure. There’s a very good reason for that if you have a forward that can handle. And it doesn’t matter who the PG is. Marek helped break pressure when K was in. Coleman helped break pressure when we had Sherm.

The simple fact of making the tournament 75% of seasons is by definition not mediocre as only a handful (15-20) of programs make it at that rate.

No it’s not Syracuse historical standards (top ten all time program that JB himself built) but its certainly not mediocre, at least to me.

Maybe it’s semantics but we have been good/decent. Our ACC standings have been somewhere above average (50%) but below top 3. So second quartile. Again, good not great, but not mediocre.

Lastly, I am one who has not appreciated how JB has treated his players (and fans frankly) in the press and otherwise for the past 5-10 years, so I am no apologist, just saying the record isn’t as bad as some portray.

You do realize that we used to make the tournament 95% of the time for 40 years, not just 75% like we have in recent years, right?

I get no one is an amazing individual defender but if everyone buys in our zone will be good. We have length.

We are very slow on the perimeter. That means people will get open looks from 3 due to slow rotations, and guards will get into the lane on the dribble drive. This will create foul trouble for our bigs.

Our most athletic guys just left - Griffin, Woody, Quincy, Kadary, Braswell. We have 2 guys who could be considered plus athletes to replace them - Five Star and Symir. I guess Frank will be seeing some time at the bottom of the zone. Might work. We still need a couple more athletes on this team - 1 at guard and probably a rebounder at forward.

We are very slow on the perimeter. That means people will get open looks from 3 due to slow rotations, and guards will get into the lane on the dribble drive. This will create foul trouble for our bigs.
and JB will continue making excuses for it.

We were number 6 in the nation when we won at 1 Louisville in 2013.

That season we weren’t complaining all season.

We struggled against Georgetown and then a swoon and then still finished as a 4 seed.

Your are spinning.
Maybe you weren’t complaining. Doesn’t mean everyone followed your lead.

You had people saying we were exposed against Temple. In January, you had people saying the defense was bad, the offense was bad, we can’t win on the road. It only got worse in February. Some people were losing their minds during the three-game losing streak.

There are always people who aren’t satisfied.

You had people saying we were exposed against Temple. In January, you had people saying the defense was bad, the offense was bad, we can’t win on the road. It only got worse in February. Some people were losing their minds during the three-game losing streak.

There’s a difference between people not being satisfied with performance on the court, and people being upset about the quality of players in the program and how the program is perceived nationally.

We haven’t sniffed a first round draft pick in 4 years. Did you know that when we don’t have a first rounder this year, it will mark the longest drought Syracuse has had without a 1st round draft pick since Jim Boeheim began coaching?

I am sorry but this is you basically saying people shouldn’t be fans.
Every fanbase has people who complain about everything but the fanbase overwhelmingly was fine in 2013.

Our program hasn’t played a game as a ranked program from January 1st till the end of the season since March 7, 2014.

If all you care about is the tournament then it’s all good.

If QG plays college hoops next year this discussion will be louder.

All season? If I recall we had a great season for most of the year, sputtered a bit with a “February swoon” late in the Big East schedule, and then got it going again in the BET and NCAAs.
Got beat in the BET semis by about 10. Is that getting it going?

Yeah, that Richmond was such a gunner and a ball hog last year.

In the heat of the moment I forgot that Kadary left because he could be more of a team player at the Hall, and that his supporters are always poised to leap upon any perceived slight. Sorry.

We made the BET title game in 2013.
Beat Seton Hall, Pitt, Georgetown all in NYC before losing to Louisville when we lead by double digits in the second half and melted down.

Not sure which year you are thinking about.
'96. Which was the year the previous poster referred to.

That's exactly right. We were rated as high as #2 into January, with a chance to ascend to #1 -- but we blew a 6 point lead to Villanova in the last 10 seconds that sent the game to OT, which we lost.

Then we lost the next game at Pitt.
The original post referred to '96.

In the heat of the moment I forgot that Kadary left because he could be more of a team player at the Hall, and that his supporters are always poised to leap upon any perceived slight. Sorry.

Everybody can “showcase” themselves with only one basketball - when the PG is really good and unselfish and has the basketball a lot.

It was the finals. So yeah, winning 3 BET games and then running out of gas against the eventual National Champions in the finals is getting it going, to me.

No, I was talking about ‘13.
The post you were responding to mentioned his freshman year, 1996. Now, you can be confused, or I can be confused. But, if you trace it back, you can see that your response could refer to either year.

96 team won 8 of their last 9 games in the regular season.
Won 2 games in the BET and wasn’t ranked below 19th from Dec till the end of the season in March.

That team was solid the entire season.
So if you want to talk about that team then it was ready to compete in the NCAAT and did just that.
It wasn’t a fluke to get to the Final Four as a 4 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom