Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if we simply started the better point guard and better utilized his skill set this past year, we’d be in much better shape for next year and the majority would probably have a “we’re going to get back to being typical Syracuse next year!” mindset.
spot on. It baffles me why Jim didnt let Kadary start after he had earned the right. Big loss for sure. As to Joe he isnt a point guard and will never be and elite PG. He is what he is which is a good player who can get hot from the 3. Thats pretty much it. He isnt going to ever be anything other than an average defender and ball handler. PG is the weak line on this team unless Symir steps up which i believe he will.

We probably should have 10 guys. Anything more than that and people are going to transfer and schools are prioritizing the portal over HS kids right now.

And the board is assuming Jimmy stinks and isn’t athletic. There‘s no debate there. Fans aren’t even giving the kid a chance.
What group of 3 would you rather have
Quincy Guerrier, Alan Griffin, Robert Braswell or Cole Swider, Jimmy Boeheim, Benny Williams.

Factor in how JB plays rotations as well.
I really hope Benny is good enough that JB leaves him alone.
I get Jimmy isn’t Buddy but I am not going to buy him being more than a 6PPG 5 RPG guy. If he is that then good.

I want to compete for a top 4 seed.
I don’t see us doing that with the PG play we have.

You want 10 guys.
Right now we have
Joe Girard, Symir Torrence
Buddy Boeheim
Benny Williams
Cole Swider, Jimmy Boeheim
Jesse Edwards, Bourama Sidibe, Frank Ansalem

That is 9.
Where is the 10?

Also people are saying not you but others we couldn’t afford to get caught our pants down with QG.

Well Braswell AND Woody both decided to transfer.
If those guys see potential PT with QG leaving and don’t want to stay I don’t want to hear from them we had to take Jimmy.

Jimmy is not better than either.
Braswell is a better player IMO and he was limited.
Put him on Cornell and in the Ivy League I think he puts up numbers.

Fans are upset about Woody leaving, but if Benny is as good as advertised I‘m not sure how this forward group would be worse than last year. We need to remember when we played our best this season Griffin did nothing and Quincy‘s play started to tail off. We never had everyone firing on all cylinders this year. The team chemistry seemed off.

Last year we had 4 forwards who are no longer here, and we only added 2.
We only have 3 forwards on the roster, so if Frank is back, he's our 4th forward.

Hard to see how that group is better than last year, even if Boeheim refused to play some of them, and insisted on playing one of them hurt.

I think Jimmy would play the Marek role pretty well, but I don't want to see him more than 15-20 minutes a game. I like his craftiness around the basket, although I worry that he won't be able to get half of those interior shots off against better competition.

We only have 3 forwards on the roster, so if Frank is back, he's our 4th forward.

Hard to see how that group is better than last year, even if Boeheim refused to play some of them, and insisted on playing one of them hurt.
Frank is not a forward.

Quincy Guerrier, Alan Griffin, Robert Braswell or Cole Swider, Jimmy Boeheim, Benny Williams.

I get Jimmy isn’t Buddy but I am not going to buy him being more than a 6PPG 5 RPG guy. If he is that then good.

You want 10 guys.
Right now we have
Buddy Boeheim
Benny Williams

That is 9.
Where is the 10?

Also people are saying not you but others we couldn’t afford to get caught our pants down with QG.

If those guys see potential PT with QG leaving and don’t want to stay I don’t want to hear from them we had to take Jimmy.

I was saying I would like to go after another guy. I am not sure if we will. We should.

I want to be at the top of the league too. We don’t know if we can be. We don’t really know what anyone in the ACC will do. It’s league filled with a bunch of roster turnover. I mean one coach retired because his 5 star center decided to transfer and he didn’t have the heart to put up with it. It’s a different world. UVA and UNC don’t have the continuity that they’ve had the past 10 years.

Nobody can make any comparison until they actually see the guys play. And no one here knows how good Jimmy is. They are making assumptions based off his brothers game and the fact he played in the Ivy. That is it.

And if Girard plays like he did in the tournament that will be good enough. That is what we need. I know people give him crap for the end of the WVU game, but he played well in the tournament looking at the entire picture. And he was not the only reason we couldn’t get the ball past half court. If Marek didn’t throw it 15 feet behind him when we were up 8 the game would have been over.

I think Jimmy would play the Marek role pretty well, but I don't want to see him more than 15-20 minutes a game. I like his craftiness around the basket, although I worry that he won't be able to get half of those interior shots off against better competition.
I don’t have a problem with Jimmy on the roster.
I just think it’s bullchit to say we couldn’t get caught with our pants down with QG leaving.
We lost Braswell and Woody and I am not including Griffin.

Braswell and Woody are leaving and could have had minutes next year.
It’s just a rationalization to justify saying what the narrative is that the HC is always right.

It’s why I am broken and fanbase is becoming split. JB isn’t always right.

Yes and we played 3 forwards. Frank is not a forward. We should get another, but it may be difficult. We literally have no idea how good Swider or Jimmy will be here. Apparently JB thinks it’s good enough. There’s clearly a reason Griffin is gone.

I was saying I would like to go after another guy. I am not sure if we will. We should.

I want to be at the top of the league too. We don’t know if we can be. We don’t really know what anyone in the ACC will do. It’s league filled with a bunch of roster turnover. I mean one coach retired because his 5 star center decided to transfer and he didn’t have the heart to put up with it. It’s a different world. UVA and UNC don’t have the continuity that they’ve had the past 10 years.

Nobody can make any comparison until they actually see the guys play. And no one here knows how good Jimmy is. They are making assumptions based off his brothers game and the fact he played in the Ivy. That is it.

And if Girard plays like he did in the tournament that will be good enough. That is what we need. I know people give him crap for the end of the WVU game, but he played well in the tournament looking at the entire picture. And he was not the only reason we couldn’t get the ball past half court. If Marek didn’t throw it 15 feet behind him when we were up 8 the game would have been over.
Who is a better player in your opinion Jimmy Jr. or Robert Braswell?

I don’t have a problem with Jimmy on the roster.
I just think it’s bullchit to say we couldn’t get caught with our pants down with QG leaving.
We lost Braswell and Woody and I am not including Griffin.

Braswell and Woody are leaving and could have had minutes next year.
It’s just a rationalization to justify saying what the narrative is that the HC is always right.

It’s why I am broken and fanbase is becoming split. JB isn’t always right.
And either are the fans.

If Jimmy was an Ivy League player named Jimmy Smith that averaged 17 ppg in the IVY the board would be ecstatic. Literally the only reason people are worked up about this is because of his last name.

Who is a better player in your opinion Jimmy Jr. or Robert Braswell?

Overall, I am not sure. Braswell is a role player who catches and shoots and is asked to play defense. If Jimmy can play defense he’s the better all around player. He’s not some slow 6’9” white kid. He’s significantly more athletic than his brother and I would argue on par with Marek or Quincy athletically.

Frank is not a forward.

He probably is on next year's team, by default, if we don't add somebody to the roster.

Marek wasn't a center, and Joe isn't really a PG, but that hasn't stopped the old man from playing people out of position consistently for the last several years.

Overall, I am not sure. Braswell is a role player who catches and shoots and is asked to play defense. If Jimmy can play defense he’s the better all around player. He’s not some slow 6’9” white kid. He’s significantly more athletic than his brother and I would argue on par with Marek or Quincy athletically.

Braswell rebounded. Jimmy is not the 3 point shooter that his brother is; he's more like Joe - streaky. Jimmy is far closer to Marek than Quincy athletically.

Quincy was a very strong player. Even when he couldn't jump, he could still hold his position on the defensive boards, and on offense with the right match-up, he could overpower another forward. He couldn't score over bigs, but he could take people one on one before he got hurt.

Jimmy is a scrappy player, with a bit of a chip on his shoulder; again, kind of like Joe. He could bring some toughness off the bench.

Braswell rebounded. Jimmy is not the 3 point shooter that his brother is; he's more like Joe - streaky. Jimmy is far closer to Marek than Quincy athletically. Quincy was a very strong player. Even when he couldn't jump, he could still hold his position on the defensive boards, and on offense with the right match-up, he could overpower another forward. He couldn't score over bigs, but he could take people one on one before he got hurt. Jimmy is a scrappy player, with a bit of a chip on his shoulder; again, kind of like Joe.

Wasn’t everyone complaining at the end of the season that Quincy couldn’t finish?

Jimmy isn’t like Joe at all. Most of his points come on 2’s and he was more of a slasher than anything. I would say shooting is the weakest part of his game. If anyone the comparison is to Marek.

You want 10 guys.
Right now we have
Buddy Boeheim
Benny Williams

That is 9.
Where is the 10?

neither Braswell nor Woody are 4’s.

Wasn’t everyone complaining at the end of the season that Quincy couldn’t finish?

Jimmy isn’t like Joe at all. Most of his points come on 2’s and he was more of a slasher than anything. I would say shooting is the weakest part of his game. If anyone the comparison is to Marek.

You're not listening to what I was saying.

Of course Jimmy isn't "like" Joe's game, they play different positions.

Jimmy was a stretch 4 for Cornell not their PG, and yes, he did a lot of work in the lane on offense, with that same kind of back-down dribble that Buddy has. But Jimmy's got all the old-man "up and under" moves to finish, too. He's crafty. He's kind of Marek to me, but maybe a bit more school yard, willing to mix it up.

I'm said in my earlier post that Jimmy has similar attributes to Joe in that (1) he's tough, he plays physical and (2) he is a streaky shooter from 3.

You don't disagree with that, do you?

neither Braswell nor Woody are 4’s.

On our team they were, since our forwards are interchangeable, as you know.

But in a traditional sense, I would call Braswell more of a 4, and Woody more of a 3.

It breaks my heart that Boeheim didn't use Woody for the press, or once in a while at the top of the zone this past season. That would have been one amazing defense, and I believe Woody could have done it well, based on what we saw from him in that handful of early-season games.

And either are the fans.

If Jimmy was an Ivy League player named Jimmy Smith that averaged 17 ppg in the IVY the board would be ecstatic. Literally the only reason people are worked up about this is because of his last name.
The only reason people are worked up because of his last name is the HC has treated the other kid with last name differently.

I think Buddy has taken more chit than he should because of how his HC has coached him.

That is rightful criticism IMO as well. JB has hurt Buddy.
If JB coaches Jimmy the same way and he plays a bigger role just because the HC wants him to play minutes then that will be bullchit.
Jimmy should be the 3rd forward and honestly if we had a 4th recruited player maybe 4th.

If Jimmy Jr is force fed minutes next year that is the frustration and guess what since we don’t have a 4th forward I can already see JB saying what do you want I am playing who I have.

If Jimmy was still in portal right now he would be the best true 4 left.

Tre Mitchell isn’t a 4, Jimmy Jr. is better than Steffon Mitchell from BC, we’re not taking a kid from LIU, and Marcus Bagley isn’t his brother.

If Jimmy’s last name wasn’t Boeheim I would think almost all fans would like the pickup and the only ones that wouldn’t are the idiots who say “bUt IvY lEaGuE.” He’s a hooper

You want 10 guys.
Right now we have
Buddy Boeheim
Benny Williams

That is 9.
Where is the 10?
not saying I'm good with it, but I think JB is rolling w Owens as the 4th guard and I'd guess Anselem as the 4th forward for 5-on-5 in practices... I'm of the belief we ought to add at least one more scholarship player

You're not listening to what I was saying.

Of course Jimmy isn't "like" Joe's game, they play different positions.

Jimmy was a stretch 4 for Cornell not their PG, and yes, he did a lot of work in the lane on offense, with that same kind of back-down dribble that Buddy has. But Jimmy's got all the old-man "up and under" moves to finish, too. He's crafty. He's kind of Marek to me, but maybe a bit more school yard, willing to mix it up.

I'm said in my earlier post that Jimmy has similar attributes to Joe in that (1) he's tough, he plays physical and (2) he is a streaky shooter from 3.

You don't disagree with that, do you?

A stretch 4 to me is someone like James Southerland or Tyler Lydon. Someone who’s offensive impact is mostly shooting.

Jimmy does most of his damage 15 feet and in. If he plays stretch 4 here that’s an advantage for us because he can handle the ball. We have different definitions of what we think a stretch 4 is.

On our team they were, since our forwards are interchangeable, as you know.

But in a traditional sense, I would call Braswell more of a 4, and Woody more of a 3.

It breaks my heart that Boeheim didn't use Woody for the press, or once in a while at the top of the zone this past season. That would have been one amazing defense, and I believe Woody could have done it well, based on what we saw from him in that handful of early-season games.

neither are 4’s. Braswell is a pure 3 but not a strong ball handler. Woody is a 2/3. We had two 4’s. Marek and Q. Both are gone. Our forwards are interchangeable on defense. I don’t care that Braswell played a little 4 last year. It was out of necessity.

What is a 4 in our system?
On defense they don’t matter.
What is a 4 offensively for us?

really? What was the difference between Q and Griffin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom