Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason people are worked up because of his last name is the HC has treated the other kid with last name differently.

I think Buddy has taken more chit than he should because of how his HC has coached him.

That is rightful criticism IMO as well. JB has hurt Buddy.
If JB coaches Jimmy the same way and he plays a bigger role just because the HC wants him to play minutes then that will be bullchit.
Jimmy should be the 3rd forward and honestly if we had a 4th recruited player maybe 4th.

If Jimmy Jr is force fed minutes next year that is the frustration and guess what since we don’t have a 4th forward I can already see JB saying what do you want I am playing who I have.

If he’s good I don’t care what his last name is. If he plays too much I’ll worry about it then.

JB ended up being right about Buddy this year. Did he play him too much right after he Covid? Sure. But at the end of the season we got to where we did mainly because Buddy carried us down the stretch.

There’s still a segment of fans still waiting to tear Buddy down despite the success he had in February and March this season. If we had a 2 guard returning with these numbers under the name Eric Devendorf or Tyus Battle the fans would be ecstatic. And those were the numbers he put up this year and in some cases they were better.

neither are 4’s. Braswell is a pure 3 but not a strong ball handler. Woody is a 2/3. We had two 4’s. Marek and Q. Both are gone. Our forwards are interchangeable on defense. I don’t care that Braswell played a little 4 last year. It was out of necessity.
As you said, our forwards are interchangeable, so not sure what it means that braswell isn't a 4.
Another concern of mine (unless another decent guard or Forward is added) is we are 1 injury/suspension at Guard or Forward from guys being forced to play 40 minutes. There is zero margin for error.

And either are the fans.

If Jimmy was an Ivy League player named Jimmy Smith that averaged 17 ppg in the IVY the board would be ecstatic. Literally the only reason people are worked up about this is because of his last name.
I haven’t seen anyone up in arms about it being Jimmy, people seem to just be bracing themselves for 30 minute Jimmy.

If he’s good I don’t care what his last name is. If he plays too much I’ll worry about it then.

JB ended up being right about Buddy this year. Did he play him too much right after he Covid? Sure. But at the end of the season we got to where we did mainly because Buddy carried us down the stretch.

There’s still a segment of fans still waiting to tear Buddy down despite the success he had in February and March this season. If we had a 2 guard returning with these numbers under the name Eric Devendorf or Tyus Battle the fans would be ecstatic. And those were the numbers he put up this year and in some cases they were better.
Their is the same amount of the fanbase who will never admit JB coaches Buddy differently.

I think Buddy is a fine player who plays too much when he isn’t hot.
I also think we don’t recruit any players at his position because of JB.
I don’t think he should be the only SG other than JG on the roster.

A PF is not what QG is.
Hakim Warrick is a 4.
We played Southerland and Fair at forward.
We don’t play a post forward.

The idea we have a “4” every season is not true.

who said anything about a post 4? And Q is a 4. That’s his game. Unfortunately he is short for a 4 and why he was trying to develop his shooting skills. But even at his height, he had success being a 4. He made 3rd team all ACC. Mainly because of his rebounding skills and overall tenacity. He didn’t make it as a 3. We lost both guys that could have success at the 4. Braswell and Woody do not have a 4’s game. We needed to bring in more height and guys who could play inside. Swider has the size but will have to up his rebounding game.

As you said, our forwards are interchangeable, so not sure what it means that braswell isn't a 4.
Another concern of mine (unless another decent guard or Forward is added) is we are 1 injury/suspension at Guard or Forward from guys being forced to play 40 minutes. There is zero margin for error.

same position on defense. Not offense. But even on defense, it’s nice if your 4 is a banger on the boards.

Surprised I missed this. Best of luck to him, either through professional ball or with the transfer route. And, this is the reality for many teams all around basketball right now.

Their is the same amount of the fanbase who will never admit JB coaches Buddy differently.

If he’s an ACC poy candidate it shouldn’t matter and this is far from the first time we have carried one or two shooting guards on the roster.

Both sides are talking to a wall. It’s like arguing politics. There’s little new thoughts on the board lately. People have dug in. We could create bots for about 90% of the posts on the board, Twitter, or facebook these days.

There’s very little room for new critical discussion anymore. It’s either totally against Boeheim or totally for Boeheim without thinking of all the possible scenarios that may have been encountered when building a team.

If he’s an ACC poy candidate it shouldn’t matter and this is far from the first time we have carried one or two shooting guards on the roster.

Both sides are talking to a wall. It’s like arguing politics. There’s little new thoughts on the board lately. People have dug in. We could create bots for about 90% of the posts on the board, Twitter, or facebook these days.

There’s very little room for new critical discussion anymore. It’s either totally against Boeheim or totally for Boeheim without thinking of all the possible scenarios that may have been encountered when building a team.
I have no agenda but i tell you he has broken me listening to what he says anymore on face value. JB is smart and knows how to talk.
The regular seasons have broken me.

who said anything about a post 4? And Q is a 4. That’s his game. Unfortunately he is short for a 4 and why he was trying to develop his shooting skills. But even at his height, he had success being a 4. He made 3rd team all ACC. Mainly because of his rebounding skills and overall tenacity. He didn’t make it as a 3. We lost both guys that could have success at the 4. Braswell and Woody do not have a 4’s game. We needed to bring in more height and guys who could play inside. Swider has the size but will have to up his rebounding name.
If a 4 doesn’t post what is the difference between a 3 and 4 offensively?

Braswell rebounded.
I really liked Braswell, and I’m bummed that he left. I didn’t think he was a particularly good rebounder for us, so I took a look at his stats - here are some of his rebounding numbers from last season:

In 23.5 mins per game in the ACC and NCAA Tourneys (5 games total), Bras averaged 2.2 rebounds per game. He had 2 boards in 15 minutes in the loss to Houston, 3 boards in 29 minutes in the win over WVa, 2 boards in 25 minutes in the win over SDSt, 1 rebound in 27 minutes in the loss to Virginia, and 3 rebounds in 21 minutes in the win over NC St.

Braswell’s ‘Defensive Rebounding %’ stat (according to KenPom) was 12.3% last year.

Braswell was not really a good rebounder for us.

When comparing Braswell to Jimmy Jr (which was the general thrust of your post that I’ve quoted), there is reason for some optimism that Jimmy will help us more on the boards next year than Braswell did this year.

I’m not sure how anyone can make predictions about the ACC next year. I think you can throw teams in a hat to predict the order of finish. Literally everyone is going to have a completely different roster.

Fans are upset about Woody leaving, but if Benny is as good as advertised I‘m not sure how this forward group would be worse than last year. We need to remember when we played our best this season Griffin did nothing and Quincy‘s play started to tail off. We never had everyone firing on all cylinders this year. The team chemistry seemed off.
thats why Im optimistic...there were so many instances of player x couldve been playing better/on the court/not injured etc...I dont think the team was very near its potential peak last season and still made the sweet 16 and finished the season a legit top 25 team.

JG3 had an off year, Buddy was out multiple times to covid, bourama was injured, AG disappeared, QG was playing hurt, jesse was only used towards the end, frank didnt play, woody had covid, kadary was out of shape/tendinitis, the team had covid pauses.missed 40 practice days, etc etc...

I think you can always be optimisitc and assume the team/players will make a jump next year...but i think the worst case scenario for this squad is something like last years record...with a very good chance of a much better regular season.

IMO the floor is pretty high for next year...but I think there will be a few squads that are uber athletic and can play/shoot that might be too good for the roster as currently constructed, unfortunatley.

This is a question for anyone if neither of forwards has a post game what is the difference between the 3 and 4 in our offense?

If a 4 doesn’t post what is the difference between a 3 and 4 offensively?

nevermind. You’re arguing for the sake of arguing. If you can’t tell the difference between Q/Marek as 4’s and Braswell/Woody as 4’s, then that’s on you.

Go watch the women’s lax game in the ACC championship.

I think if we simply started the better point guard and better utilized his skill set this past year, we’d be in much better shape for next year and the majority would probably have a “we’re going to get back to being typical Syracuse next year!” mindset.
Richmond wasn’t coming back. Starting him and playing him an extra five minutes wasn’t going to change that. Kid already had one foot out the door when the season started and it’s obvious he wanted to be closer to home.

This is a question for anyone if neither of forwards has a post game what is the difference between the 3 and 4 in our offense?

there’s a difference between posting up inside and playing the post, even high post. But we don’t run much high post with the 4 unless it was marek.

there’s a difference between posting up inside and playing the post, even high post. But we don’t run much high post with the 4 unless it was marek.
Our offense is ISO dribble drive dominant with spacing for shooters.
Our 3s and 4s haven’t been that much different they have been interchangeable.

The idea that QG was a 4 and can’t play 3 is because JB was playing a SG in Alan G at SF so it forced QG to be a “4”.

Marek wasn’t a forward he was the C an overwhelmingly majority of last season.

The idea that QG was a 4 and can’t play 3 is because JB was playing a SG in Alan G at SF so it forced QG to be a “4”.

here, I’ll twist you further into a knot. Typically in our offense the 3 is more similar to the 2 than the 3 is to the 4.

And Q wasn’t a 3 because he had too many weaknesses he was working on such as ball handling and shooting from outside.

And Q wasn’t a 3 because he had too many weaknesses he was working on such as ball handling and shooting from outside.
Alan Griffin played 3 and cant handle the ball.
QG shooting improved from his freshman year.

Again if the 4 doesn’t post there is very little difference between the 3 and 4.

PFs play from the post a little.

If Jimmy was still in portal right now he would be the best true 4 left.

Tre Mitchell isn’t a 4, Jimmy Jr. is better than Steffon Mitchell from BC, we’re not taking a kid from LIU, and Marcus Bagley isn’t his brother.

If Jimmy’s last name wasn’t Boeheim I would think almost all fans would like the pickup and the only ones that wouldn’t are the idiots who say “bUt IvY lEaGuE.” He’s a hooper
And QG has yet to make a final decision. The guys you mentioned could all be gone by the time he does.

JB does coach Buddy differently. Truth be told, very few players are coached exactly the same way from year to year. What you really want to say is JB treats Buddy better. And there’s no denying he does. Should that be a surprise to anyone? At the end of the day, JB doesn’t answer to you or me or whoever else on this board. He barely answers to Wildhack. No, he answers to Juli.

Coaching your own son at this level is difficult and risky. I don’t expect the players to get it. Anyone on here who is married with children should, though. It’s not like Buddy is some scrub. He’s the best player on the team. If the results were different, you would have a point. We made the Sweet 16 and finished in the Top 25. There’s no denying that either.

While JB does treat Buddy better than his teammates, none of us knows what happens behind closed doors at home. We also can’t assume he’ll treat Junior the same. He might yell at Junior more than anyone if he thinks he can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom