Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kadary is the huge loss. Woody has a nice upside. Griff Bras are good players not great. Jimmy is going to be good. Symir will be much better than expected. Cole is good. Buddy is good. Edwards Frank and Sid all have a big upside and yes Frank can play PF. Im not convinced Joe is going to be any better next year but who knows. The kids a huge competitor and im sure covid hurt him plus he feeds off the crowd. Wish we had one guard or forward who can create. Again Kadary was special. Maybe Benny will be the guy. Bottom line we should be pretty good.

Are you sure I’m the one ignoring the Newton story? Of course you say it’s on the HC. It’s probably JB’s fault they screwed up your order at Applebee’s last night.

Braswell’s going to a lesser program and I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t start. It’s not that hard to connect the dots.
The Woody story was known in February during the season.
I am not going to say it because if you don’t know then you aren’t asking the right people and I am not going to say it on the board.
Woody didn’t leave for no reason.
If we didn’t lose Woody then we could afford to wait on Quincy.

Again you have no proof what happened with Braswell.
The newton stuff is fact.

What is a 4 in our system?
On defense they don’t matter.
What is a 4 offensively for us?

Sometimes a 4 in our offense will play the high post or top of the key (e.g. Rick Jackson, John Wallace), and feed the 5 on the low block (e.g. Arinze, or Otis Hill).

Our high-low action is pretty much the only meaningful distinction between the 4 and the 3 in our offense and defense.

The Woody story was known in February during the season.
I am not going to say it because if you don’t know then you aren’t asking the right people and I am not going to say it on the board.
Woody didn’t leave for no reason.
If we didn’t lose Woody then we could afford to wait on Quincy.

Again you have no proof what happened with Braswell.
The newton stuff is fact.
I know what happened with Newton.

OK, you tell me why Braswell left. I think Junior’s a better player anyway.

Wasn’t everyone complaining at the end of the season that Quincy couldn’t finish?

Jimmy isn’t like Joe at all. Most of his points come on 2’s and he was more of a slasher than anything. I would say shooting is the weakest part of his game. If anyone the comparison is to Marek.

Quincy was injured. That's why his production fell off.
He couldn't jump because he probably had a torn muscle in his thigh. My guess, from watching, would be his groin / upper thigh.

If it was a quad or hamstring, he couldn't run up and down the floor. With a groin, it's more of an injury that impacts your lateral motion, but you can still run.

Quincy was injured. That's why his production fell off.
He couldn't jump because he probably had a torn muscle in his thigh. My guess, from watching, would be his groin / upper thigh.

If it was a quad or hamstring, he couldn't run up and down the floor. With a groin, it's more of an injury that impacts your lateral motion, but you can still run.
OK, so that’s two years in a row. Are the people saying Sidibe is injury prone saying the same about Guerrier?

We do know if we didn’t lose both Braswell and Woody that QG’s status limbo wouldn’t have necessitated being aggressive with needing Jimmy Jr. to rush a decision.

It makes the Woody Newton situation matter.

you have to play the hand you’re dealt. And we like everyone else knew we were going to lose players. You act like we should be the only one not to lose players.

Give a me break.
You ignore the Woody story competely I was told what happened and it’s on the HC.

He wasn’t a lost cause. Standards were different and don’t expect kids to ignore that.

Braswell wanted to start? Please find that one. I missed it if he said that.
He was getting starters minutes at the end of the season.

I don’t believe you know anything about woody nor the context.

A stretch 4 to me is someone like James Southerland or Tyler Lydon. Someone who’s offensive impact is mostly shooting.

Jimmy does most of his damage 15 feet and in. If he plays stretch 4 here that’s an advantage for us because he can handle the ball. We have different definitions of what we think a stretch 4 is.

Well, Jimmy attempted 4 and 5 threes per game these past two years, over 100 attempts each year. That's about 1/3 of his total attempts these last 2 years.

For comparison, we only had 3 guys shoot more threes last year - Buddy, Joe and Griffin. And we only had 3 guys shoot that many the year before (sub Eli for Griffin).

So, I think a stretch 4 is a fair description. He's certainly not another 5, and he's not quick enough to be a 3. He does have some inside game; I don't disagree.

Jimmy isn't the pure 3 point shooter that Cole Swider is, but he's a threat from 3. Swider is not bad in the low post; a bit mechanical but he's 6-9. 235 and knows how to use his body on the low block.

Jimmy is more like the guy who tries to twist and turn and pivot his way past the defender when he gets in the lane. That will work sometimes, maybe even very well. But against elite defenses, I think they are going to shut that down.

neither are 4’s. Braswell is a pure 3 but not a strong ball handler. Woody is a 2/3. We had two 4’s. Marek and Q. Both are gone. Our forwards are interchangeable on defense. I don’t care that Braswell played a little 4 last year. It was out of necessity.

Braswell, being 6-9 and not a great ball handler, fits my description of a 4. He lacks the skills of a 3. Ball handling and being able to run the break are essential to being a 3 in our system.

you have to play the hand you’re dealt. And we like everyone else knew we were going to lose players. You act like we should be the only one not to lose players.
Losing players happens everywhere.
I am not disputing that.
I see Dasher kinda spilled on the beans on Woody looking on the board history.
We shouldn’t lose kids the way we lost Woody. That is on the HC.

The HC isn’t perfect he is great alltime but his handlings of situations deserves appropriate pushback when it hurts a player.

If we had Woody next year we don’t need to bring in 2 forwards on necessitiy.

If he’s good I don’t care what his last name is. If he plays too much I’ll worry about it then.

JB ended up being right about Buddy this year. Did he play him too much right after he Covid? Sure. But at the end of the season we got to where we did mainly because Buddy carried us down the stretch.

There’s still a segment of fans still waiting to tear Buddy down despite the success he had in February and March this season. If we had a 2 guard returning with these numbers under the name Eric Devendorf or Tyus Battle the fans would be ecstatic. And those were the numbers he put up this year and in some cases they were better.

Buddy has turned into a terrific player, Career wise, he has been a year ahead of Andy Rautins' production for the last couple years. When he's hot, he's amazing. I hope we can get enough offense from other spots in the lineup that teams can't focus on Buddy to take him out of the game. We can't be a team where if you stop our top guy, you beat us. We need to have multiple threats who can win games.

Alan wasn’t a great ball handler but much better than Q handling outside.

And you still haven’t answered about the difference between how Q and Alan played the game in our offense. Who are the guys up top and on the wings? The 1,2,3. And yes, if the 4 can shoot from the 3 also, like Lydon, they will pop outside some. But that doesn’t make them the 3.

I would say that on offense, Alan was more perimeter oriented, and that Q posted up more than Alan ever did. Q liked to move out to the 3 point line from time to time, but he would play more inside-out than Griffin did.

Kadary is the huge loss. Woody has a nice upside. Griff Bras are good players not great. Jimmy is going to be good. Symir will be much better than expected. Cole is good. Buddy is good. Edwards Frank and Sid all have a big upside and yes Frank can play PF. Im not convinced Joe is going to be any better next year but who knows. The kids a huge competitor and im sure covid hurt him plus he feeds off the crowd. Wish we had one guard or forward who can create. Again Kadary was special. Maybe Benny will be the guy. Bottom line we should be pretty good.

IMO, the problem is losing so many kids. You lose continuity when you have too much turnover. I wish we had held on to Woody or Braswell and Richmond. If we had 2 out of those 3 guys (or even all three), we would be in great shape right now, GREAT shape. We are not far away, but we just let a ton of athleticism walk out the door, and haven't really replaced that. So much pressure on Bennie to be outstanding from Day One. I'm a bit worried about that.

Girard, Boeheim, Swider, Williams, Boeheim, Sidibe
vs
Kadary, Griffin, Braswell, Newton, Guerrier, Ajak.

Wow we are losing a lot of athleticism!!!
Add marek too

Sometimes a 4 in our offense will play the high post or top of the key (e.g. Rick Jackson, John Wallace), and feed the 5 on the low block (e.g. Arinze, or Otis Hill).

Our high-low action is pretty much the only meaningful distinction between the 4 and the 3 in our offense and defense.

you know better than that

So the way things are going in college basketball this off-season I expect to see someone declare they are testing the NBA draft waters, announce they are considering signing with an agent, then decide they are entering the transfer portal too, accidentally wind up in the Time Tunnel, and find they are now two years younger and have signed a letter of intent with the school they thought they were leaving.

Maybe I shouldn't have had that last edible.
plot twist - JB got Kadary to seton hall so he could re-recruit Dior :)

I am sorry but this is you basically saying people shouldn’t be fans.
Every fanbase has people who complain about everything but the fanbase overwhelmingly was fine in 2013.

Our program hasn’t played a game as a ranked program from January 1st till the end of the season since March 7, 2014.

If all you care about is the tournament then it’s all good.

If QG plays college hoops next year this discussion will be louder.
How tf is that possible.

the 2014 thing.

Give a me break.
You ignore the Woody story competely I was told what happened and it’s on the HC.

He wasn’t a lost cause. Standards were different and don’t expect kids to ignore that.

Starters minutes and starting are different things for most athletes, especially young ones

Give a me break.

It is not. That is 100% false. I know what happened. And I know whose fault it was. And it wasn't jb. The standard has always been that you have to try in practice. Newton doesn't. Any coach that plays a kid that won't work hard in practice shouldn't be coaching. Maybe Newton can grow up. But this was on him. Jb is wrong in the way he acts a lot of the time. To the players and to the local media. But this was on Woody.

Where did Braswell say he wanted to start?
I never said he did. The OP to which I responded opined that the quantity of minutes was the most important thing. I opined that it may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom