Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give a me break.
You ignore the Woody story competely I was told what happened and it’s on the HC.

He wasn’t a lost cause. Standards were different and don’t expect kids to ignore that.

Braswell wanted to start? Please find that one. I missed it if he said that.
He was getting starters minutes at the end of the season.
It is not. That is 100% false. I know what happened. And I know whose fault it was. And it wasn't jb. The standard has always been that you have to try in practice. Newton doesn't. Any coach that plays a kid that won't work hard in practice shouldn't be coaching. Maybe Newton can grow up. But this was on him. Jb is wrong in the way he acts a lot of the time. To the players and to the local media. But this was on Woody.

Where did Braswell say he wanted to start?
I never said he did. The OP to which I responded opined that the quantity of minutes was the most important thing. I opined that it may not be.

I will take Cole and Jimmy vs Braswell and Woody. But that's just me.
Sure on offense. Who knows on defense. Woody was a ++ defender in his limited action. And Braswell was +. The other two don't give me the warm and fuzzies at that end.

Braswell went to a school an hour away from where he grew up. There's a very good chance he just wanted to get back home. He was a solid rotation player at the end of the season.
I get he went close to home. But he left is the point.
The point was made that we had to take Jimmy Jr. so we couldn’t wait for Quincy and be left with our pants down.

If we didn’t lose Braswell and Woody then we wouldn’t be left with our pants down.
Which is my point.

I think if QG plays college hoops next year then if it’s not at SU it sucks.

The point was made that we had to take Jimmy Jr. so we couldn’t wait for Quincy and be left with our pants down.

If we didn’t lose Braswell and Woody then we wouldn’t be left with our pants down.
Which is my point.

I think it was really Swider who we took because we couldn’t wait on QG.

The rumors about Jimmy started here in January and the team had to be aware. I see Jimmy as more of a replacement for Marek than QG. I see Swider as QG’s replacement.

Fans would not have been happy had we just had Jimmy and Benny and not tried to go after anyone else after QG said he was going to test the waters.

Last edited:
The ability to transfer without having to sit a year is tough on old school coaches. Jim is not going to change and the kids are not going to change. Expect a revolving door at SU as long as Jb is the coach

The rumors about Jimmy started here in January and the team had to be aware. I see Jimmy as more of a replacement for Marek than QG.
I see Swider as QG’s replacement.

Fans would not have been happy had we just had Jimmy and Benny and not tried to go after anyone else after QG said he was going to test the waters.
You know I don’t care what fans think as long as they see both sides.
I want a roster that is built to compete for conference and national titles.

If QG isn’t going to play college hoops then this discussion is pointless. I like Swider.

I fight the narratives people spew out to defend the HC. The HC is doing a terrible job with roster management. He deserves to be called out for.
The fact Joe is the backup SG is a bleeping problem but it’s apparently just accepted as cool.

We have 3 guards on the roster that have played college hoops.
One of them is a POY contender in Buddy but we have no backup on the bench.
Don’t say Swider.
I have heard him described as a C as well.
JB wouldn’t play Alan Griffin up top and he is going to teach Swider the top, the wing and the middle?

We have little PG depth.

Fans defending JB(not you) don’t acknowledge the legitimate frustration.

I really don’t get how people look at our roster and see a top 25 team next year. I hope we have it.
I just look at the roster and know when we play good teams I don’t see it happening in our favor consistently.

The rumors about Jimmy started here in January and the team had to be aware. I see Jimmy as more of a replacement for Marek than QG. I see Swider as QG’s replacement.

Also your last paragraph is why I am saying you leave we lost Braswell and Woody as well.
If we didn’t lose both then screw what fans would say we would have the depth on the roster.
QG testing the waters wouldn’t matter since we would have a player familiar with the system on the roster ready for a bigger role.

Is Jimmy Jr. going to play more minutes than Braswell next year?
Why?
Can people say Braswell saw the situation and realized that he waited his turn but with Jimmy Jr. Coming in he was going to have the same rôle?
Is that allowed?

We needed Swider even if Q was coming back.

We needed Swider even if Q was coming back.
I see it that Benny is taking Alan’s role.
Swider is taking Quincy’s role.
Jimmy is taking Marek’s role.

The situation is that Marek should never have been the 5 so one of Quincy/Alan/Marek would have had to sit with a true center on the floor.
Alan never got SG minutes so Buddy had to always play. Alan struggled at the end of the year so when Jesse played he was logically the one to sit for QG/MD with JE or QG sat down with MD/RB with JE.

I think QG if he plays college hoops next year saw that his PT would go only down at SU because we would play 4 forwards next year instead of 3. What is the difference?

Swider is kinda a Woody and Quincy replacement.

Five guys, one basketball, 40 minutes. We're not going to have "depth" at PG because kids want to play.

Cuse seems to corner the market on 23 year old sophomores and AAAA type players at the next level.

Things about the program I find frustrating but we seem to recruit kids that are bad at basic math. I'm sure there's stuff I don't know but we are losing a 25 plus minute PG to go to a team with 4 guards in the rotation. Freshman kid somehow thinks he's going to get minutes ahead of a host of upperclassmen (and apparently wasn't the first to arrive and the last to leave the gym). QG thinking he has an NBA game...

Which is my point.

This is my major issue with Coach. His roster construction and management has been so bad recently. Because of it, he's been forced to play players out of position because he doesn't have other options. Now, he loses two good players at Forward and his hand gets forced. Now he's probably lost QG because of it as well.

Five guys, one basketball, 40 minutes. We're not going to have "depth" at PG because kids want to play.

Cuse seems to corner the market on 23 year old sophomores and AAAA type players at the next level.

Things about the program I find frustrating but we seem to recruit kids that are bad at basic math. I'm sure there's stuff I don't know but we are losing a 25 plus minute PG to go to a team with 4 guards in the rotation. Freshman kid somehow thinks he's going to get minutes ahead of a host of upperclassmen (and apparently wasn't the first to arrive and the last to leave the gym). QG thinking he has an NBA game...
This will all change when JB is gone so wait out the one year and enjoy the Boeheim Show. College basketball is broken and no longer fun to watch outside of the Big Dance.

I think QG and JB could have potentially disagreed on the role that Quincy was going to play next season much like Oshae and JB did before. I could see JB wanting QG to play inside out while Quincy thinks his route to making money was to be featured as a perimeter player.

I think QG and JB could have potentially disagreed on the role that Quincy was going to play next season much like Oshae and JB did before. I could see JB wanting QG to play inside out while Quincy thinks his route to making money was to be featured as a perimeter player.

Yep I think Quincy wants to go the Oshae route and become a better shooter, but JB wants him to crash the boards/post up on offense. Just is what it is

What is confusing to me is:
1. Quincy had a starting role locked at Syracuse, and could have been one of the featured players
2. If he transfers to another school, he would want to at least be a starter
3. Which preferred P5 / tourney contender could reserve a spot, when it is not clear whether he will go pro or not, especially when the decision is not going to be made for a while yet
It seems that the Portal is an insurance policy that just will not happen. He is going to be forced into going pro because other options are just not there.

What is confusing to me is:
1. Quincy had a starting role locked at Syracuse, and could have been one of the featured players
2. If he transfers to another school, he would want to at least be a starter
3. Which preferred P5 / tourney contender could reserve a spot, when it is not clear whether he will go pro or not, especially when the decision is not going to be made for a while yet
It seems that the Portal is an insurance policy that just will not happen. He is going to be forced into going pro because other options are just not there.

Devils advocate response.

Quincy wanted to explore his professional options with respect to the NBA. His timetable didn't line up with Syracuse's vis a vis recruiting, so the coaching staff actively went out and recruited two frontcourt players [Swider / Jimmy] before Guerrier's final decision came down. I think it's one of those damned if you do / damned if you don't situations for the staff -- if they don't bring in quality replacements because they wait to long, they're left holding the bag. And if they act swiftly and strike while the iron is hot, then they "push" Guerrier out. Unfortunate situation, with the timing, IMO.

He could certainly have chosen to return, because as you point out he would have been a returning starter. But he also might have felt that the team is structured about Buddy getting shots, and that might not have enabled him to be featured in an advantageous way.

Quincy is also a helluva college player, whether he eventually emerges as a legitimate NBA prospect or not. But there will be high major interest if he actively pursues a change of scenery -- make no mistake about that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors